Scuba/Snorkeling Photos

10X

I'm a little slow in getting this done, but it's mainly due to other travel we have been doing. But, in Jan/Feb 2007 we did back-to-back cruises on the Crown Princess out of San Juan. We went to the ports of Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, Antigua St. Thomas (twice), St. Kitts, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba.

I went diving in St. Lucia, St. Thomas (twice) and Bomaire. My wife went snorkeling in all of these ports. In addition, we snorkeled together in Barbados, Grenada, and Aruba.

I have the photos broken down by port at http://www.sunfield.smugmug.com

Select "Cruise 2007" then select the appropriate port/activity.

Denny

I use an Olympus C5050, 5MP camera. It was discontinued long ago but I liked it so much that I bought another and a housing for the second one as well. I also use an Inon D2000 underwater flash with ULCS tray and arms. I also have an Inon wide angle lense available, as needed.

My wife uses a Canon A95, also a 5MP camera. Hers has been giving some problems lately so I think I'm going to upgrade her to a Canon Powershot 720IS, an 8 mp camera.

Denny

• 2 weeks later...

They are beautiful. I am getting ready to go in Feb. and these photos make me appreciate the adventures in store for my buddy and I. Thanks for putting them out there. Did you dive w/ the ship excursions or did you set up on your own. If you set up your own diveshops, which ones did you use? We'll be in St.Thomas, Aruba, Puerto Rico, and ST. Maarten.

Thanks for any info.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the photos. Needless to say, I have many others but I didn't want to get into posting so many photos that people would get tired of seeing them.

DiverII,

I did not use any ship's excursions. I tried that once and that was enough. I swore I would never do it again, and I haven't. For Bonaire I found someone on this board that I could dive with and, for St. Lucia, I booked with Island Divers, who I've gone with before. Thankfully, Island Divers' schedule called for them to go to two different spots than I went to last time.

The only place that you are going, where I was diving, is St. Thomas. It was an interesting stop for us. We did back-to-back cruises so we actually went to St. Thomas twice, only two days apart, Feb. 2 & 4.

We decided to go to Coki Beach so that my wife could snorkel while I was diving, or we could spell each other on the beach to watch our gear. I was diving with the Coki Beach Dive Club.

My first dive included 9 Canadian divers, plus me. We had two diver masters, one who led the dive while the second brought up the rear. When the dive was over I relaxed on the beach while my wife snorkeled and enjoyed my surface interval. When I was ready for the second dive the second dive master from the first dive said that it was just him and me for the second dive. He treated me to an excellent dive and I had a blast.

Afterward, when I tipped him, he told me how much he appreciated the tip, especially since none of the divers in the first group (they only went on one dive) tipped him or the other dive master. I told him I would be returning in 2 days and asked if he could lead me again and he agreed to do so. When I returned, both of my dives were just him and me.

I told him I wanted it slow and easy and to see as many creatures as possible for photos. He did just that and earned a worthy tip.

Cruzegirl, are you diving with Island Divers? Diving Superman's Flight, right at the base of the Pitons is really neat. Most people are thrilled to see the Pitons, you get to dive them.

Denny

Randall,

Glad you liked the pics. That's high praise when coming from another underwater photo bug.

Thanks for the tip on the name. I've been looking through my books but had trouble finding it. I appreciate the tip.

Denny

Randall,

Glad you liked the pics. That's high praise when coming from another underwater photo bug.

Thanks for the tip on the name. I've been looking through my books but had trouble finding it. I appreciate the tip.

Denny

You did a great job! No praise, just facts. :D I know what you mean about looking through your books. I sometimes spend more time finding out what I took a picture of than taking the picture and posting it. BTW, last night I just posted some pictures from my COLD, COLD, COLD water dive (48F in a wet suit) in Maine last month. Caribbean creatures don't know how good they have it. :)

Randall

Underwater picture site: http://www.randallgamby.com

Nice pictures. The claws on the lobster are huge. I would also bet that in scouring the photo of the "Starfish and Scallops" that a dozen different things can be found. You did a great job, especially with water that cold.

I noticed that you state on the website that you need to slow down - so do I. Usually I'm in a hurry because the dive group I'm with is moving on. It was quite the contrary on our last cruise and dives with Coki Beach Dive Club though. With having a private guide (quite accidently) I was allowed to stop and stay as long as I wanted.

Keep up the good work. I'm going to bookmark your web page so I can check on your updates.

Denny

I would also bet that in scouring the photo of the "Starfish and Scallops" that a dozen different things can be found.

Hi,

Thanks. Yeap it's tough to put down "starfish, scallops, sponges, clams, ..." in a title. Sometimes when there's a lot in your picture you have to hit the main objects. :D As proof you can miss things, I found the tunicates in a missed shot of a lobster (even though I'd been looking for them) because it was an interesting subject and they weren't flashing claws at me. I try to slow down and "warn" my dive buddy that I'll be last in the group and may get stuck on a spot on the reef wall if there's a lot of things to take a picture of. As far as the lobster claws. In the picture of the "big one" under the ledge, our captain had said there were big ones in the rock and to make sure we put a hand or something in the picture to show size. To be honest, I was too afraid to put my hand down there for size. Let's just say it was the largest lobster I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them!

Randall

P.S. My dive buddy was below me and though it funny to catch a lobster and bring it up behind me. Should have seen my face when I turned around and saw this monster just inches from my head (not a good picture but I think my hands were shaking)!

diver-and-lobster.jpg

That photo looks to be all one creature, not a diver and a lobster. I think I'd shake a little too if I turned around and saw that. : )

Hi,

You should have seen it in real life (20ft vis. on top of it all). If you notice, with the lobster's crusher claw (the one on the right) open, it was as big as my dive buddy's head. The one under the ledge was substantially larger (seasonal marine preserve, plus I don't think he'd fit in a trap). :)

Randall

Archived