Cabin Assignments at Pier: Your Experiences

a9753

Last year we were on the train from Talkeetna, Alaska to the port in Whitier.

Princess has people on the train who checked us in with all the paperwork involved and even gave us our room keys for the ship, Diamond Princess. Our luggage was trucked from the hotel and went directly to our cabin. What a terrific system and being able to by-pass all the waiting to check-in at the pier. We arrived at our cabin and guess what???? I could not open the door of the cabin with our key. I got ahold of the cabin steward and he opened the door for us......there was our luggage in the cabin waiting for us. The cabin steward suggested that I go to the information desk and see why my key wouldn't open the cabin door. What a surprise when the clerk at the information desk said "no wonder your key wouldn't open the cabin, you've been upgraded 5 categories". You could have knocked me over with a feather. We were upgraded from a regular outside cabin, to a mini-suite, not bad eh?? :rolleyes: I have no idea why we were upgraded......we are Elite members of the Captain's Circle and that may have been a factor. At any rate, it was terrific and we really enjoyed the comfort of the mini-suite. ;)

Wow HOward - that is amazing! DId you have a specified cabin assigned when you booked your cruise?? OR did you go with the "guaranteed" outside cabin? I was given the choice, and made the choice of choosing an outside cabin... instead of the guarantee? We are leaving Saturday on the Sapphire and are wondering what the chances are of getting upgraded... we booked only a month ago, and only choices were an 'obstructed' outside cabin... wondering what the chances are of getting an un-obstructed... but this cruise is 'sold out'... so probably not, right?? Unless cancellations??

Wow HOward - that is amazing! DId you have a specified cabin assigned when you booked your cruise?? OR did you go with the "guaranteed" outside cabin? I was given the choice, and made the choice of choosing an outside cabin... instead of the guarantee? We are leaving Saturday on the Sapphire and are wondering what the chances are of getting upgraded... we booked only a month ago, and only choices were an 'obstructed' outside cabin... wondering what the chances are of getting an un-obstructed... but this cruise is 'sold out'... so probably not, right?? Unless cancellations??

Yes, we DID have an assigned cabin, not an outside guaranty. Who knows which is the right way to go. :confused: Getting an upgrade is just a real "crap shoot". Sometimes booking a guaranty does get you an upgrade and sometimes it doesn't. But one thing is sure......if you book ouside with or without a balcony or even an inside, you will get nothing worse than what you originally booked. Sometimes we cruise with friends, and we try to get cabins next to or near each other and usually we can because we do book many months in advance. But when it's just my wife and I, we take a shot at the guaranty and sometimes we win and sometimes we don't. But I'll tell you one thing........we ALWAYS have a great time on a cruise. ;)

My boyfriend & I are booked for a November cruise of the Eastern Mediterranean on the Star Princess. We booked a Category M guarantee, and have received a cabin placement already (we got upgraded to a Category JJ). What do you think our chances are of receiving another upgrade are once we get to the port??? Is there any way to possibly upgrade once we get to port for a drastically reduced rate???

Ann =)

My boyfriend & I are booked for a November cruise of the Eastern Mediterranean on the Star Princess. We booked a Category M guarantee, and have received a cabin placement already (we got upgraded to a Category JJ). What do you think our chances are of receiving another upgrade are once we get to the port??? Is there any way to possibly upgrade once we get to port for a drastically reduced rate???

Ann =)

HI Ann! ;)

Well, most times when a cabin as been assigned, it doesn't change.

As for upgrading at the pier with Princess, this is something that is not usually done as Princess does free upgrades to passengers before they arrive at the ship and there are normally no higher categories left. They do not sell them at the pier at a reduced rate as some other lines do. If there happens to be anything available, you will be paying the same Princess rate for it you would have 6 months before, and the price you pay to upgrade will be from your original category booked, not the upgraded category, so no deals there. Congrats on that upgrade, I would guess that is the cabin you will end up in for the sailing.

We are leaving in 9 days and we still have no room #. We 've booked our share guarantees - never have to wait that long. Most of the time we got a slight upgrade. Only once about 8 years ago, brand new Grand Princess was so overbooked, we got upgrade from inside to a balcony. That was a treat.

I hope we get a nice room this time. I just want to be on the ship.

This past January I had an assigned, obstructed view cabin. When I got to the pier they couldn't find me in the system when I gave them my boarding pass. Someone else was listed in my cabin. The rep. went to another system and found me in a balcony cabin. What a wondeful surprise. I probably was upgraded a few days prior to cruise but we cannot access the cruise personalizer within 5 days of the cruise. So while we may not find out until we get to the pier, the upgrades most likely happen before that.

Four years ago this fall we did transatlantic VEnice to Ft. Lauderdale. We were assigned stateroom number prior to leaving; upon checking in at Venice we were upgraded to Aloha balcony from Dolphin.......obstructed. We are and were elite.......who knows why.........but I was totally blown away with the fabulous minisuite............then last year upgraded prior to leaving home going to Alaska,,,,,to Baja Deck.........we had two staterooms, one for our son and was upgraded...........so now we are ten days from embarking on Pacific/Panal cruise on Island we are patiently awaiting a change of stateroom. we are book on Emerald ostructed.............crossing our fingers,,,,,,,,,,,,,sailinsal

Archived