Tell Me About Smith Cove Please

jdybnsn

hello,

I am a Smith Cove fan, actually of all the places in the Caribbean I have been, Smith Cove is my favorite! If you pull up some of my previous years posts I have given extensive reviews on Smith Cove. I will tell you a few things that may make or break what youre expecting from Smith Cove. I have been to Smith Cove 4 times and never ever seen it crowded, its actually a very small beach with an even smaller water entry. The last time we were there, 3 ships were in port and we were all alone, even though it is only a mile or so south of the Port. I dont recall there being a bathroom there but there are a few picnic areas. Since it is so small, there are no taxis waiting to pick you up so you will have to work it out with the taxi driver who drops you off. We told our driver we would give him extra if he came back and picked us up at a designated time (about 4 hours). It is a well traveled road and well settled so I never got nervous that we wouldnt make it back. The snorkeling there was absolutely fabulous and I havent seen better in Cozumel, St John or St Martin. The fish play in the rock formations in the cove. I had done a little research on it a few years back and read that it was one of the top 10 snorkel sites in the Caribbean. It is clean and very cozy, but small.

A search of google pics will pull up pictures of smith cove and there are lots of pictures on the web! I even have a framed picture of Smith Cove in my dining room that I bought from posters.com, so there are many picture floating about.

I havent been there since 2004, but thats what it was.

Good luck,

Rick

Smith Cove is excellent for the beginner snorkeller and and great for an experienced snorkeller because everything is so close to the shoreline. The entry point is maybe 15-20 feet across so theres not alot of play area but there is some, I would recommend it for a family too because its easy to keep your eyes on the kids. The beach does expand out after the rock entry (rock formations left and right create the entry) and the sand is nice up into the beach area and running into the water. There are plenty of nooks and crannies to lay a blanket, some very nice and private. If 40-50 ppl were there it would, it would be crowded but I have never seen that. Like I said, its been a few years and maybe someone else could add something new to the conversation but thats how I remember it.

I do recall that the time I mentioned we were all alone while a cruise ship was in port, there were a group of ppl who showed up while we were out snorkeling.. they were a wedding party taking pictures so it is a very nice and picturesque spot.

Rick

Many thanks for that Rick :)

How far is it from Old Grand House do you know ???...we are getting married there (at OGH) and to spend the rest of the day at Smith Cove (plus hope to get some wedding pictures there too;)).

Judy

• 4 years later...
hello,

I am a Smith Cove fan, actually of all the places in the Caribbean I have been, Smith Cove is my favorite! If you pull up some of my previous years posts I have given extensive reviews on Smith Cove. I will tell you a few things that may make or break what youre expecting from Smith Cove.

Good luck,

Rick

Sorry to bring up a REALLY old thread...but, I was doing some research and trying to figure out where to go to at Cayman for snorkeling and when searching, I came upon this thread.

I did a search under your name mrrick because you stated that you've done extensive reviews on Smith Cove, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe it is named something other than Smith Cove? Most threads you've posted on seem to be about a specific cruise you are taking at the time (maybe a roll call or something). Is your review somewhere in those?

If you are still on here, if you could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Smith Cove is now being referred to by its original name, Smith Cove Bacadere. Why? I have no idea.

Anyway, it is about 1.5 miles South/East of the cruise terminal, just past the Grand Old house restaurant. You can get there by public bus or taxi (make arrangements for a return pick-up if using a taxi). There are some picnic tables, shade trees, restroom, rinse shower and trash Bins (please use them!). I can get overrun if fellow cruisers also plan on visiting when you are and the snorkeling is just OK. The location is subject to winter and storm swells and surges, so sometimes the water can be rough and cloudy. Many times it is like a bathtub though.

Google Search info on Smith Cove: Smith Cove

I have read all these things, but was hoping the mrrick was still on here to show me his "extensive" review. I know I do extensive reviews on the ports I visit and love to read the little details, which is why I posted on this older thread hoping he would respond.

I'm thinking I should probably make my own thread so that others can help answers some of the questions I have and I would love to hear back from you as well with some questions (since I did notice your name come up in several threads about this area when I was reading last night). :)

Archived