Are You Possesive of your Table Chair?

MrPete

Perhaps your table mates do not like their backs to the room either! I think it is common curtesy to rotate around the table so one person is not "stuck" with bad seating each night.

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! Correct answer!!!

How DARE anyone be so presumptuous as to think that "this is MY chair for the duration of this cruise because I happened to sit here on the very first night and it's the best chair EVER and so the heck with the rest of you who just happened to be sitting at MY TABLE even though you paid the same amount of money to enjoy this lovely dining room I got here first and sooooo neener neener neener......" :eek::eek:

The staff does NOT care where you sit. They can take/deliver your order just fine.

I agree....It is beyond rude.

Of course their is a company that makes lounge chair and outdoor terry cloth chair covers that they could put over "their" chair the first night....

And looky here...They are personalized....

lounge_katz_sm.jpg

I don't have any earthly idea what you're saying. You young people and your hip lingo I just can't keep up with it. I try though. :)

What is a thread? All I can think of is a spool of thread in my sewing case or sometimes people call their clothes "threads". But in this context I'm not sure what you mean.

A tread is a topic that you are reading right now. "Are you possesive of your table chair'...that is a thread (or a topic with replies). ;)

This 'thread' was started in 2007. I was commenting on Judy still lined up with five cruises, still! She is living the life!

I don't have any earthly idea what you're saying. You young people and your hip lingo I just can't keep up with it. I try though. :)

What is a thread? All I can think of is a spool of thread in my sewing case or sometimes people call their clothes "threads". But in this context I'm not sure what you mean.

What you typed is a reply to a thread. I am now replying to YOUR reply:D

I agree....It is beyond rude.

Of course their is a company that makes lounge chair and outdoor terry cloth chair covers that they could put over "their" chair the first night....

And looky here...They are personalized....

lounge_katz_sm.jpg

What a lovely idea. I'm taking my family on a cruise for Christmas. I think I'll buy one for each of my children and grandchildren. Thank you Mr. Jesse

A tread is a topic that you are reading right now. "Are you possesive of your table chair'...that is a thread (or a topic with replies). ;)

This 'thread' was started in 2007. I was commenting on Judy still lined up with five cruises, still! She is living the life!

What you typed is a reply to a thread. I am now replying to YOUR reply:D

Thank you for the explanation Mr. Tim. Thanks to the nice people here I am really beginning to catch on. And 5 cruises! Oh my! She IS living the life!

Hello steelerfan27,

Saw that someone else has explained what a thread is: it's what you called starting a letter or in other words starting a thread.

When you answer, you post a reply. You as the thread starter would be called the original poster or OP.

If you have not done this before: go to one of your messages, at the top where your user name is underlined click on steelerfan27. This will open your public profile. Click on statistics, there it will show how many threads you have started and how many posts you have done. You can click on either the red or the black sentence to go straight back to that post or thread.

Very handy if you want to keep following your own thread or if want to follow other threads, just reply so that there is a message to go straight into. Once you have catched up with the latest posts, click on the back button and go to the next thread or post and so on.

You can also do that on someone elses name. That's how I found out that you had started a thread. How is the planning going?

Have you heard about roll calls yet?

I don't insist on having a chair that's facing the room, and I'll sit anywhere there's an open seat. I was just stating my preference, when I have a choice. I've been lucky enough to be seated at round center tables more often than not, so it's rarely an issue. At those tables I like to move around. I just wonder if it's a problem for the servers to remember our preferences if we change seats.

As for all my upcoming cruises - there are sacrifices involved. My home improvements are not happening. Given a choice between new furniture and a cruise, the cruise always wins.

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! Correct answer!!!

How DARE anyone be so presumptuous as to think that "this is MY chair for the duration of this cruise because I happened to sit here on the very first night and it's the best chair EVER and so the heck with the rest of you who just happened to be sitting at MY TABLE even though you paid the same amount of money to enjoy this lovely dining room I got here first and sooooo neener neener neener......" :eek::eek:

The staff does NOT care where you sit. They can take/deliver your order just fine.

Julia, since you are so passionate about the subject I would be happy to change my seat every night to make you happy. It's not that big of deal to me, but staying in the same seat every night would be my first choice. :)

........As for all my upcoming cruises - there are sacrifices involved. My home improvements are not happening. Given a choice between new furniture and a cruise, the cruise always wins.

Old car, no LR drapes, few new clothes.... I can decide on a trip faster than any other purchase! Works for me. :p

Old car, no LR drapes, few new clothes.... I can decide on a trip faster than any other purchase! Works for me. :p

It's all about priorities. My sister has a beautiful home and closets full of clothes, but she's never traveled far from home. I just bought my first home 4 years ago and I've had the same furniture and clothes forever, but I have a lifetime of memories. I put off traveling until my 40's because I was always waiting for something to happen. Then I decided not to wait any longer and I've never regretted the decision.

If you are sharing a table...you are sharing the chairs too. I dont mind sitting in a different chair. What if someone doesnt show up and their are weird gaps in the table? I really just sit where I am seated.

My first cruise we were at a rectangle table by the window, so it was agreed the first night we would take turns sitting next to the window.

My second and third cruises were at round tables and no one ever sat in the same seat, we all took turns sitting next to each other.

Changing seats gives you a chance to get to talk to everyone at your table.

I cruise with family so we have always had our own table, usually an 8-12 top. We don't pay any attention to the seats we sit in. If it were just DH and I cruising and we were sitting with strangers, I wouldn't care if the seats were switched up daily, but I would expect to sit next to or across from DH.

I've been watching my family on this one...we move around and there are comfort zones that change as we get on or off each other's nerves....when my favorite B-in-law has his mom over at his house...I always get her because I give her some respect when everyone's tolerance is tried...but last get together..I shared the head of one of the tables with my least favorite B-in-law to get a break..my poor mom got my job.

I think on a cruise as life; there are instant comfort zones that if found; people want to keep. I try to move around as a single person..most people can stand me.

We typically dont care where we sit but I have a funny story. On our cruise in 2007 on Triumph we didnt make it to dinner the first night which is an oddity for me. But, on the second night when we showed up for dinner there was no one sitting at the table when we arrived. It was a 4 top and we sat in the two chairs that were facing the windows. When our dinner couple arrived they looked at us like we had stepped on a kitten. It didnt click at first but we figured out that "look" was because we were in "their" seat. Needless to say they never were late to dinner again because they always were in "their" seat from that point on.

Interesting couple...the guy thought we were a riot and the wife just sat there and scowled. He kept saying how he wanted to party with us and she barely spoke a word. Cold as ice. :rolleyes:

How do they choose these dinner pairings anyway. :cool:

Julia, since you are so passionate about the subject I would be happy to change my seat every night to make you happy. It's not that big of deal to me, but staying in the same seat every night would be my first choice. :)

Thank you daaaaahling! :)

We typically dont care where we sit but I have a funny story. On our cruise in 2007 on Triumph we didnt make it to dinner the first night which is an oddity for me. But, on the second night when we showed up for dinner there was no one sitting at the table when we arrived. It was a 4 top and we sat in the two chairs that were facing the windows. When our dinner couple arrived they looked at us like we had stepped on a kitten. It didnt click at first but we figured out that "look" was because we were in "their" seat. Needless to say they never were late to dinner again because they always were in "their" seat from that point on.

Interesting couple...the guy thought we were a riot and the wife just sat there and scowled. He kept saying how he wanted to party with us and she barely spoke a word. Cold as ice. :rolleyes:

"Like we had just stepped on a kitten".... funny line!! :)

"Cold as ice"... and suppose you were seated at a round 6-top and had to sit next to HER every night?! :(:(

Very funny. Never really thought about it -- but I have to admit I am possessive of "my" chair. Our cruise in February of this year on Grandeur of the Seas had a couple that made the six of us rotate around an 8 top and it bugged the heck out of me.

The cruise before that in November of 2009, we were at a 10 top with only six who showed up every night. The first night my wife and I were the first, picked our back corner seats and stayed in place the rest of the cruise. Another couple came and sat completely opposite of us. The third couple sat next to my wife and I. We all talked and enjoyed each other's company, but the couple who sat opposite us never moved so we always had this huge span between our groups.

Funny that it never really crossed my mind before.

Wow this thread has been a real eye opener for me!

I have always cruised with large family groups in the past, and I guess we are all on the same page, because no one ever changes their seats. Maybe we all learned that way from my Mother-in-law who introduced our generation to cruising, and that is the way they did it, then we introduced cruising to our kids and grand kids, and we are still doing it! Our last cruise on the Mariner was the first time my husband and I cruised alone, but we only went to the specialty restaurants the first two nights, and remained completely casual for the rest of the cruise and didn't even go into the MDR at all. Wonder if our table mates switched around with the two extra seats there?:)

How do they choose these dinner pairings anyway. :cool:

Spent too much time here yesterday..so I am turning this off after this post..really I am..smiles..love your story.

Now at a table of mixed group..I think a 12 top on last cruise we got some of the antisocial or "odd" movers as we always had a few spare seats...then we had this great core group of singles and couples..I can see where a big table as a solo is good:).

If you're dining at the early seating and the same people always sit by the windows it can be kind of disappointing ... esp for kids ... but I wouldn't fight over a chair ... if someone felt really strongly about it, they could keep whatever chair makes them happy for the whole cruise.:D

you said it,we are not a bunch of kids,we are only on the ship for a week,lets enjoy what we have and not worry about which chair to sit in,

So it is "your" seat ????? Did you bring it from home with you ????:D

Yes dear..only way to do it:).

If i'm not mistaken the people who want to sit in the same CHAIRS at dinner,are the same people who are the chair hogs on deck!!!lol i just had a thought of people carrying chairs off the deck and around the ship with them ha ha ha

If i'm not mistaken the people who want to sit in the same CHAIRS at dinner,are the same people who are the chair hogs on deck!!!lol i just had a thought of people carrying chairs off the deck and around the ship with them ha ha ha

My phone, computer and TV are all the same folks wires and today it's crazy here..a summer no wind day??? Maybe the past couple of days was last straw.

Yes..loved the humor of that poster and have only done 5 cruises over past 30 years...age 20 to present..however enough travel to get this humor....in groups...or solo...or solo with extended family..all different equations.

Have not enjoyed a big deck chair fight:rolleyes::D. But these boards crack me up or make me cry on those situations:). Had not seen this thread until it poppped up again...sjn911..its close to end of week..yes.

Archived