Rain, rain and more rain!!!

boneslides

Rain, rain and more rain...that's what's predicted for our entire cruise to Alaska next week...60% chance, every day, in every port, according to weather.com. Of course, the weathermen around here (Cleveland, OH) are rarely right, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a little break. Wasn't going to bother with waterproof shoes, but I guess I will be hitting the mall AGAIN!!!:D I was hoping that since it was the beginning of September, we might slip by before the rainy season started. THIS is why I don't usually gamble!!!!!!! Regardless, I'M NOT GONNA LET A LITTLE RAIN ruin my cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Maybe I should pack an inflatable raft?!!?):o

It's truy ugly right now and the rain was pounding on the roof last night, but it's supposed to clear somewhat this afternoon. Don't believe the weather forecasts - if they're right even the day before, they just got lucky.

Murray

that was our weather forecast for last sept. we did get rain in juneau, heavy rain in ketchikan..skagway got fog in the morning, clearing to a beautiful day. all sea days were sunny and warm. we had an umbrella, but not worth the trouble. rain ponchos or slicker with water proof shoes. the only thing that got wet was the lower pant leg of the jeans. when it rained it wasn't that cold, temps stayed between mid 40s to mid 60s, just never knew what it was going to be until you woke up that morning.

Right before our cruise this past June, I looked up the forecasts and it said the same thing - rain every day. It actually only rained 1 day, it was overcast 1 other day, and the rest of our 15 day trip was absolutely gorgeous. So I wouldn't necessarily believe the forecast! :p

You might also want to consider purchasing a can of waterproof spray from Walmart. Especially if you'll have no use for waterproof shoes after you return. It can be very beneficial to give a few coats.

I do recommend 2 pair of walking shoes, a must if there is any rain.

If you do get them damp, then you have a day for them to dry. A drying tip- loosely pack the shoe with a hand towel- loosen up laces. The wicking action speeds drying. :)

Rain, rain and more rain...that's what's predicted for our entire cruise to Alaska next week...60% chance, every day, in every port, according to weather.com. Of course, the weathermen around here (Cleveland, OH) are rarely right, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a little break. Wasn't going to bother with waterproof shoes, but I guess I will be hitting the mall AGAIN!!!:D I was hoping that since it was the beginning of September, we might slip by before the rainy season started. THIS is why I don't usually gamble!!!!!!! Regardless, I'M NOT GONNA LET A LITTLE RAIN ruin my cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Maybe I should pack an inflatable raft?!!?):o

Which ship are you going on and which ports?

I'm going TOMORROW!!! Vision of the Seas w/ stops in Juneau, Skagway, and Prince Rupert.

The Seattle forecast is sunny tomorrow, rain all week, and then sunny next weekend, which is brillant because we're staying for two nights after the cruise.

Juneau - September 2 is suppose to be 64 degrees cloudy, doesn't indicate rain. But hey, I'll take cloudy!

Skagway - September 3 is also suppose to be 64 degrees, but mostly cloudy.

Prince Rupert - September 5 is suppose to be cloudy at 62 degrees.

Don't worry, I will we there too, good thing I don't melt in rain. Since I am from California where you hardly ever see rain, it could be fun. I always look at the glass half full. Have a great cruise, I know I will.

Rain, rain and more rain...that's what's predicted for our entire cruise to Alaska next week...60% chance

No, no, that means it'll rain 60% of the day! :D

Seriously, they can't forecast the weather up here. It was supposed to rain every day this week. It has rained, but we had one sunny day in the 80's, one day with no rain and intermediate sun showers, and only heavy rain here and there. Mostly it's been sprinkles on and off. So technically, the forecast was sort of right, but that's not the pouring rain you're thinking.

That's also the reason to layer your clothes. One day, it'd rained in the night, was overcast all morning, but when I went to go shopping in the afternoon, the sun had come out and it was so warm I had to go back in and put a tee shirt on. If the sun comes out, it gets warm quick!

I did the checking on weather.com before our cruise too, and likewise it said rain everyday. We had a shower in Juneau and another good rain the evening/night in Dawson City. A few droplets in Denali and on the train, but it seemed to sprinkle when we were on the bus or train, so it didn't affect our sightseeing. We had sunshine/with a few clouds for the rest of the 11 days with the temps in the 70's during the day and down into the 50's at night. It was absolutely gorgeous, we were sorry to see our trip end, knowing we had temps in the 100's to come home to.

So don't rely to heavily on any weather forecasting, and enjoy your trip!

We checked the weather from home on weather.com before our cruise. It also said rain, showers, etc most days. When we got there, it was sunny and warm every single day. I think the 10 day predictions in particular are just plain wrong! For the entire month before we went, it said every day was rainy, but when I posted on CC, people said they had loads of sun. so plan for GOOD weather

We are leaving next week for Alaska too. Hope it won't rain either but I am thinking good thoughts. Actuallly this Summer I have seen VERY little rain and it has been horribly hot, so I am SO anxious to go where it is a bit cooler! We will have fun, no matter what!!! You have fun too! ;)

Well I bet I get blasted with this one but " water proof shoes" ???

I took some lightweight hiking boots (not really boots - almost like gym shoes) and some tennis shoes and just sprayed them with waterproofing spray. Worked fine.

did the waterproof spray on the old merrells that DH wear, he feet stayed dry all week. sprayed my tennis shoes to work as back up for the waterproof, non-slip bass shoes i took. (ankle-hi, slip on with waterproof uppers and soles). since we did have rain and we did have waves splashing over the sides of the whale watching..waterproof was a excellent idea. also, the ramps/stairs to both the cruise ships and tour boats can get wet and slippery.

Just returned from the Golden Princess today. Before we left rain was forecast for just about each day. We had absolutely beautiful weather each day except rain on Thursday morning in Ketchikan. Go prepared for rain or shine and no matter what enjoy each beautiful moment !

I had a similar experience last week - rain was predicted almost every day. We had cloudy weather most days but by the afternoon it was actually sunny in most ports, especially in Icy Strait. In Ketchikan it rained from the time we arrive in port until about 3pm but it was not a downpour, just an annoying drizzle. It really didn't change any of my plans. Had a great cruise.

John

Don;t get upset with the weather forecast. We got back 2 weeks ago and the 10 day forecast for our cruise was rain rain and more rain. Every port of call was rain. It was raining on our first day and last. So keep smiling and pack rain gear. Maybe the weather gods will smile down on you as they did for us. We had a wonderful time and will do it again at the drop of a hand. We have been on several cruises raning from the warm south, and the heat in europe and alaska was the best.

You might also want to consider purchasing a can of waterproof spray from Walmart. Especially if you'll have no use for waterproof shoes after you return. It can be very beneficial to give a few coats.

I do recommend 2 pair of walking shoes, a must if there is any rain.

If you do get them damp, then you have a day for them to dry. A drying tip- loosely pack the shoe with a hand towel- loosen up laces. The wicking action speeds drying. :)

Thanks for the tip on the hand towel! I didn't know that one :)

Although many folks luck out with the rain, and have at least part of the day be nice, I think it's a good idea to have a back-up plan, particularly if you're booked for something that gets cancelled often because of poor weather, like the helicopter tour. No sense wasting your port time trying to decide what to do next.

I'd always suggest doing an outdoor activity first, because that's what Alaska's all about, but it's worth noting the museums' hours, or in the case of Juneau, something like the Fish Hatchery.

Archived