San Diego car hire

Vic The Parrot

It completely depends on where you're staying and what your planning on doing...Sadly enough in our fine city here the public transportation is lacking and not a very efficient way to move around from one end of the city to the other.

If you are planning on doing the "tourist thing" such as zoo, seaworld, beach etc. I highly recommend renting a car and not relying on public transportation.

If you are going to stay pretty confined to downtown area, most things are in walking distance or you can get a cab, If staying completely in downtown area, I do not recommend renting a car...

Live here all 24 years of my life!!! :)

I'm thinking of doing some beach time, so I was looking at a few hotels in Coronado and Pacific Beach. Figured I'd use the car to drive into town, in case I need to pay a visit to Ralphs (or Rubios :D ).

And my stay is for 2 days ....

Thanks for your help! :)

Those beaches are still pretty much in town. If you stay in Coronado or PB, there are grocery stores (and Rubio's) in easy walking distance from most hotels. These are urban beaches. You can take a shuttle or cab from those hotels to the cruise ship terminal (would not try to do the bus with luggage).

Of course if you want to go from the beach to the Gaslamp Quarter, Balboa Park, Old Town, the Zoo or Wild Animal Park, I would recommend a car. If you plan to do the Gaslamp though, I would drive to the trolley station in Old Town and park there, then take the Trolley. Parking in the Gaslamp is hard to get and very expensive.

What time of year are you doing this? Keep in mind that the beach may not be the best place to stay in the middle of the winter.

(JesJ, I have you beat. Born in San Diego (at Mercy) in 1952).

December is a good month to bundle up and take a nice walk on the beach, but (at least for me) too cold to swim unless you have a wetsuit. The water will be in the mid-50s F or less.

Coronado is a good walking beach, as is Pacific and Mission Beaches (which run into each other). Personally, I prefer Torrey Pines (my usual New Year's Day walk), but there is no hotel nearby that would give you easy access without a car.

I would definitely rent a car to get around if you are here for 2 days. That way you can truly sight see and aern't set around a bus or trolley's schedule.

December can get pretty chilly, especially at night...Definitely pack jeans and a sweater, buy definitely throw some shorts in your luggage as well!!

Splinter-It's always nice to meet other native San Diegans !!

Archived