New Cruise Ship Nurse - Zuiderdam 9/1 - 15

NurseGeorge

Thank you - From Nurse George

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epilogue

I am watching the sun setting over the beautiful Vancouver Island as we come through some of the most majestic scenery on the planet (in my opinion). I am reflecting on my thoughts and experiences from this past week and it dawned on me that I really have done a reasonable job in offering you an look inside my head as I experienced my first cruise as a Holland America Medical Officer.

I appreciate the time that you have spent reading about my adventures and I know that you all love Holland America Line, as do I, however, tomorrow morning is and end and a new beginning…I would like to think that I will have the same opportunities to continue my daily ramble, however, realistically I don’t know if the day to day would be exciting and different enough to make it worthwhile. I have decided that it would be better to save chapter two for another time and another adventure. From the sounds of your responses, some of you have had a lot of fun reading my rambling and I will cherish all of the feedback and responses that I have gotten from you. Thank you again and I hope we will be able to sail together on Holland America Line until then …bon voyage.

Could it be that Nurse George was asked to stop posting his journal online? :( Or, perhaps, he is just getting tired of the checking in with us, answering questions and the writing. By now, he must be getting busy and has found many friends to keep him occupied.

Many thanks for taking the time to take us along on your adventure. I looked forward to your posts each day....it was almost like being on board. Your are indeed handsome in uniform. :) I sure hope HAL didn't close you down for as far as I can see, the was just about the best PR a cruise line could ask for.

Fair Winds and Smooth Seas always.

Carole

Nurse George, I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts. It was fun to hear something of the viewpoint of those who work aboard the ships. Having been an employer and a health care professional, I was impressed by the care you took in avoiding any issues that might break confidentiality. I just have to ask...if those pills were Vicodin, why in the world would anyone look anywhere else than the narcotics cabinet? Surely there was a log where you both would have signed to show that the locker was entered and secured on the previous shift.

Nurse George,

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and for the upbeat way in which you have done it. You've answered lots of questions and filled us all in on the inner workings of a department we all hope we won't ever need to visit on a cruise. I hope you weren't requested to stop posting by the powers that be. We've all enjoyed reading your posts.

And you sure do look great in that uniform!

Sorry I came upon this thread late but am thouroughly enjoying sharing your adventure.

I was surprised to se that the front desk was distributing Meclizine. I thought it was a prescription only medication. Is there a charge for it or is complimentary?

Meclizine is over the counter in Canada I think. Is it possible some states in U.S. would have it over the counter and other states not? I seem to think I read that some folks can buy it without Rx from some states directly from pharmacist. It isn't on the shelves but pharmacist does not require Rx. Perhaps I am imagining this?

Rx required in Massachusetts.

Well Hello All

I made it home safe and sound and have a lifetime of wonderful experiences and pictures to cherish. I am looking forward to the Noordam Dec. 12-22. Have my uniforms all ready and looking forward to another adventure, another ship, and different waters and ports, but the same wonderful Holland America Line. Thank you for all who have been viewing, posting and sharing to keep this thread active. I just checked in when I got home and saw that things were still up and running. And it is true that "Sea Calm" (meclizine) is available at the Front Desk complimentary...no infirmary visit necessary.

On another note...I just picked Lisa and Tom up from the Noordam and took them to SeaTac Airport after giving them a tour of my new little house...It was wonderful to share stories with them and see them off safely. Putting the Laffin back in Vegas.

Cheers

Nurse George

I have to say, this is probably one of the most informative and enjoyable postings I have ever read on this board. To have such a rare and personable insider's view, such as you provided as a valuable member of HAL's medical team, was a real treat. I enjoyed every bit of it!!!!!! You don't know how it made me want to kick myself for not working harder on obtaining my nursing license, as so many members of my family had done; only to fall in love and get married instead, thirty-four years ago. I missed the boat on that one (sic)!! Looking forward to your next "tour of duty", too!!!!

P.S. You have a marvelous gift of writing, too!!! You certainly held my interest.

Nancy - 100 Day Medallion holder

On another note...I just picked Lisa and Tom up from the Noordam and took them to SeaTac Airport after giving them a tour of my new little house...It was wonderful to share stories with them and see them off safely. Putting the Laffin back in Vegas.

Cheers

Nurse George

George, I just want to Thank You again for picking us up. :) That was so much fun, I loved seeing your house and your kitty, she is really sweet.

We will definitely have to get together soon.