Planning on renting a car.....what sights would you suggest for a 1 day cruise visit?

BigJon

I will be in Grand Cayman on September 25th for a few hours on the Disney Magic. I am planning on renting a car (I've already contacted Andy's). I was in Grand Cayman 2 years ago, and we took a taxi to Sea Grape Beach and then went back to town to shop. I would like to go back to the beach, but this time, I would like to try a different one. For those who have rented a car and traveled around the island, what would you recommend. Thanks in advance!

I've heard that Rum Point is gorgeous. We're actually renting a car and doing this drive ourselves next weekend. Other cool sites... I like Hell and it's a quick stop if you're on your own. Great place to get a few cool pictures, cheesy t-shirt, and mail a postcard. I really enjoyed the turtle farm and stingray city the last time I was there. Next weekend is my third trip to Cayman and I'll never tire of it. Beautiful place.

Take a leisurely drive along the south shore and do the loop of the island past the East End and finish up at Rum Point for some swimming, lunch and a couple of drinks. Just make sure you leave enough time to get back to port on time as the time from Rum Point can be deceiving - allow no less than 45 minutes to an hour.

ENJOY!

Any advice on which rental company to use? we are there from 10am to 7pm. I'm guessing that most of the rental companies close by 5pm. Are they located at the airport? That looks like it might be a bit of a cab ride from the tender area.

Any advice on which rental company to use? we are there from 10am to 7pm. I'm guessing that most of the rental companies close by 5pm. Are they located at the airport? That looks like it might be a bit of a cab ride from the tender area.

I have a jeep rented in December through Avis. Once you get off the tender you cross the street to the Blue Iguana I think it is. They call Avis and they come get you. We plan to go to the Rum Cake Factory, Star Fish Beach, Finish off at Rum Point. I was there a few years ago and it is the most beautiful beach on the island IMHO. It has plenty of shade too!:D

• 2 weeks later...

:) I received an email response from Andy's after about 2 1/2 weeks. I've got a confirmation number anyways ! Why choose Andy's? He gave a good rate, better than the big rental companies. And also he'll pick up from the dock. :)

I rented from Andy's last week (Sep. 25th), and I called their office from the dock area, and they sent a courtesy shuttle to pick me up. They also took me back to the dock area after I returned the car.:)

• 1 month later...

We did rent from Andy's on Nov 20 coming off the Grand Princess. The van came to pick us up at the port, and dropped us off at the shopping area. It was $43.50 for the day (including the $7.50 driving permit fee). Although we only had the car for 4 hours, it allowed us to visit Hell, the Turtle Farm, and snorkel at Cemetery Beach. We'd do it again with Andy's the next time in Cayman. :D

We rented a car last week, and I would not do it again. They gave us a map . . . but who would've expected that only about 1/4 of the streets in Grand Cayman have street signs! Navigation was horrible.

In retrospect, I wish we'd just done a beach day.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived