Only 24 days more days until I'm there...

IndigoFairy

My itinerary includes Half Moon Cay (not too complicated), Nassau (been there) and Grand Turk. I am so happy to see a new port, especially one so undeveloped. It's just plain crazy how many times a day I check the Grand Turk board looking for new insights and tips...

Anyone out there want to share more about Grand Turk? :o

Not a whole lot to the island, very small. We did the dune buggy excursion. It was a blast, very good way to see the whole island. You do get abit dirty and wet though. Also, if you want to avoid the crowds and overpriced drinks at Margaritaville, theres a place up the beach called Jack's Shack. Its a small little bar set up with $4 beers and $5 rum punch. No one knows its there so its quiet and the beach is wide open. The only drawback is there is no food but if you eat before you get off the ship you should be fine.

To find this place turn left off the pier and walk past Margaritaville, get out on the beach and walk away from the ship. You can't miss it, it's only about 300 yards up the beach but no one ventures that far.

Hope this helps.

My itinerary includes Half Moon Cay (not too complicated), Nassau (been there) and Grand Turk. I am so happy to see a new port, especially one so undeveloped. It's just plain crazy how many times a day I check the Grand Turk board looking for new insights and tips...

Anyone out there want to share more about Grand Turk? :o

IndigoFairy- I would like to invite you to join the roll call for our 9/24 sailing on the Imagination.

I am sure you know about the lighthouse and some other historical sites booking the bus excursion. That appears to me to be what I will do. Since we're only there till mid-afternoon, I am not sure what else to do, except go to Margaritaville.

Uxbridgecruiser - thank you for the info on Jack's Shack. I had come across references to the place, but was uncertain that I could find it on my own. I would much prefer a local watering hole to Margaritaville. Thank you so much for describing how to get there!

Djacobson - After reading every available tidbit about the island, we plan to take the bus tour to explore the lighthouse and Cockburn Town. Apparently, there is a beach just West of the lighthouse (Bluff Point Beach) that is great for shell hunting and where you may sometimes see flamingos. We plan to look for it. I have also read reference to collecting sea glass at Governor's Beach. I've never run across sea glass washed up on the beach, and I love the idea of finding some. We may poke around there a bit as well. Per Uxbridgecruiser's tip, I think we'll hang out at Jack's Shack until we're ready for a little shopping and return to the ship. Sounds like a nice day. I really wish we had more time, though.

I'm on my way over the the roll call as soon as I submit this reply. Thank you for the invitation.

We were in Grand Turk in April- enjoyed all aspects of the island. Took a cab into Cockburn Town- walked around- people very friendly- went to Museum- saw a little "potcake"- these are the tame stray dogs. We saw a few of the wild horses too.

Spent the afternoon at Margaritaville and the beach nearby. Good swimming in the pool and at the beach. A fine day.

Archived