Excusion rental wet suit

Trekker954

Depends on the dive shop operator.... But most dive shops offer both. We used Sea Sports Belize in Belize and they had both.... I can't imagine them not having both as long as it's a reputable dive shop and not a brand new one that might not have all it's inventory yet.....

someone else mentioned that wet suits are not included in the cruise dive excusions at all. I was a bit surprized. I hope to hear from others who have booked previous dive excursions.

someone else mentioned that wet suits are not included in the cruise dive excusions at all. I was a bit surprized. I hope to hear from others who have booked previous dive excursions.

I would be very surprised if wetsuits were included in a Caribbean dive excursion, even the ship's excursion.

Depends on the dive shop operator.... But most dive shops offer both. We used Sea Sports Belize in Belize and they had both.... I can't imagine them not having both as long as it's a reputable dive shop and not a brand new one that might not have all it's inventory yet.....

Linda,

Yes, they have them for rent.... See above post.... As Bruce-r said, they generally don't come "with" the excursion or excursion fee. But they have them to rent. There is a vast majority of folks that don't bring their dive gear. I know that Bruce-r and myself are excluded.... I bring my own gear..... But many don't or can't. Some only dive with rental gear.... Hope that helps.....

Everywhere that I have gone diving the Caribbean and Cabo has offered wet suits for a fee (around $20). Personally, I bring my own gear. I rather have my wet suit that I know fits me properly and does not have holes in it (saw that in Cabo). As for the rest of my gear, I am simply more comfortable diving with my stuff.

I can't imagine a dive operator not renting wetsuits...it's easy money.

thanks for the info, which is actually for my daughter. She owns a 7mm but not the lighter one (yet) to use in warmer weather and didn't want to have to go out and buy that as well and thought she'd just rent one. She nixed not using one at all.

I know I've rented them before ($10-$15 for my rentals so far). Stuarts Cove in Nassau was the cheapest at $10 but they had their name up each sleeve of the wet suit which ended up showing up in all my diver pictures from the dive. :p

Randall

We did the Cozumel ship's excursion and the Belize ship's excursion and neither included the wet suit. Both places charged us $10 per person for the wet suit (shorties). I will say that after Coz I vowed never to rent a wet suit again.

They were thin and holey and smelled like urine. YUCK!!!

An alternative in the tropical dives may be to try just a hot suit. They are thin and easy to pack but still give some protection. Not much warmth but you don't need much in the Caribbean.

Best of luck and enjoy, the diving is awesome!

There are 3mm shorties our there for less than a hundred bucks. They pack up nicely, and keep you comfortable. If you figure three diving stops on a seven day cruise, and say $15-$20 per day, you'd pay for a shorty in two cruises. I always bring my gear as well as my wife's, and after seeing some of the rental stuff out there, I'm glad I do.;)

There are 3mm shorties our there for less than a hundred bucks. They pack up nicely, and keep you comfortable. If you figure three diving stops on a seven day cruise, and say $15-$20 per day, you'd pay for a shorty in two cruises. I always bring my gear as well as my wife's, and after seeing some of the rental stuff out there, I'm glad I do.;)

You can find some excellent wetsuit values at scubatoys I've had excellent customer service from them.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You cannot always count on wetsuits being available from the tour operator (hard as that may be to believe.) I dove in Grand Cayman last February on a RCCL excursion. The dive operator picked up the ship's divers at the cruise ship pier and we proceeded directly to the dive boat and on to the dive site. They had plenty of masks, fins, tanks, BCD's on board, but no wetsuits whatsoever. And this was after I received an e-mail from Royal Caribbean stating that rental wetsuits would be available. I don't tolerate cold well, so I've purchasing a 0.5mm full suit and a "beanie" to take with me on future dives. Even if everyone else is diving with nothing, I'll have some warmth.

If I'm not bringing my own, what type of wet suit rental does the cozumel and belize scuba dives excursions offer.

Full suits or shorties?

After years of diving on cruises we find that comfort is one of our top priorities, and relying on someone else to make sure we have that comfort doesn't make sense. It seems that communication is often lacking between tour operators and the cruise lines. One more reason to book your own dives so that you are in as much control as possible. Here's our gear list:http://cruisedivers.blogspot.com/search/label/dive%20gear

Rental Wetsuits ???? Most every diver knows this line: "There are 2 types of divers, those that freely admit they pee in their wetsuits and those that claim they dont pee in their wetsuits but let it whiz anyway."

I am in group 1 and I trust my pee !!!!!

When I do my deep lake dives in Jocassee it is so funny watching the dry suit divers. They are putting on diapers,etc. The girls are always hanging and squatting off the back on the pontoon boat,telling us not to look.I might be chilly in my Henderson hyperstrectch but I can let it whiz anytime I want too!!!! I just take the hose to the wetsuit when I get home and never have a problem.

Could always get a 1mm for warm water travel. Not that expensive or bulky?

Rental Wetsuits ???? Most every diver knows this line: "There are 2 types of divers, those that freely admit they pee in their wetsuits and those that claim they dont pee in their wetsuits but let it whiz anyway."

When I do my deep lake dives in Jocassee it is so funny watching the dry suit divers. They are putting on diapers,etc. The girls are always hanging and squatting off the back on the pontoon boat,telling us not to look.I might be chilly in my Henderson hyperstrectch but I can let it whiz anytime I want too!!!! I just take the hose to the wetsuit when I get home and never have a problem.

You stole my thunder I was going to say the same thing about peeing in wetsuits. I actually don't pee in my wetsuits since for some odd reason I CAN'T go figure. I would suggest picking up an enexpensive shorty or 3mm suit. I will be picking up an inexpensive shorty suit.

I bought a polartech skin when I got certified eight years ago. I bought my wife one to snorkel in also.They are easy to pack and neutrally bouyant.It gives about the same protection as a 2-3 mil wetsuit.I can dive in it comfortablly with water temps from the mid 70's.They were made by a company called Dive Skins but they were not cheap--$250.00 each as I remember.I always take them to the Caribbean and Morehead City,NC in the summer.I used them in the lake when I first got certified but that was befor I knew what the heck I was doing---I ain't freezing to death anymore if I can help it.

Archived