Can Anyone Help Thomas?

dak

During our recent cruise, I spent a while talking with Thomas Quinones. He is trying to find a copy of the original plans for QE2, as she was built, to help with a potential project.

I told him I would put the message out.

David

During our recent cruise, I spent a while talking with Thomas Quinones. He is trying to find a copy of the original plans for QE2, as she was built, to help with a potential project.

David

Needless to say, I and many others are now thinking "What Project?".

Any info?

Where is Thomas going after QE2? His passion for QE2 is renowned which shows through in the Heritage tour! I always pass this when going about the ship either in the Midships Lobby or Chart Room bar where I usually am midday!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Where is Thomas going after QE2? His passion for QE2 is renowned which shows through in the Heritage tour! I always pass this when going about the ship either in the Midships Lobby or Chart Room bar where I usually am midday!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

He told me that he would be leaving Cunard, can`t wait to go on his Heritage Trails in 2 weeks, they have got even better since the news.

He has suggested that i conduct them, as i have been on so many ! :eek:

regards,

Gav :cool:

David

Im sure Myles will be able to help out Thomas ! :eek: ;) :D

He told me that he would be leaving Cunard, can`t wait to go on his Heritage Trails in 2 weeks, they have got even better since the news.

He has suggested that i conduct them, as i have been on so many ! :eek:

regards,

Gav :cool:

Please tell me he will still be on on our April crossing!

Karie,

who is DYING to take his heritage tour!

Needless to say, I and many others are now thinking "What Project?".

Any info?

Hi Jon,

He is considering writing a book! :)

Subject matter is the people and ships of Clydebank.

I, for one, sincerely hope that he carries it through.

Karie,

He will be on our 12/4 crossing.

David

David

David,

don't know if it's any use but the records of Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (of which John Brown's yard formed a component part) are held by the Archive Services at Glasgow University. A summary description of the contents of the archive can be found at the following url:

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/collects/catalog/ugd/301-350/ugd348.html

Your will see that it includes ship plans for "Plans, including ship plans (ships nos. 599-1025)". As QE2 was hull number 736 she falls well within that range.

It is possible to visit the archives for research purposes and the following url give details of how to make the necessary arrangements:

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/service/all/searchrooms.html

If a visit isn't possible (and I realise it may be difficult for Thomas to fit one in) the web site gives comprehensive details of the other services on offer.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

David,

don't know if it's any use but the records of Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (of which John Brown's yard formed a component part) are held by the Archive Services at Glasgow University. A summary description of the contents of the archive can be found at the following url:

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/collects/catalog/ugd/301-350/ugd348.html

Your will see that it includes ship plans for "Plans, including ship plans (ships nos. 599-1025)". As QE2 was hull number 736 she falls well within that range.

It is possible to visit the archives for research purposes and the following url give details of how to make the necessary arrangements:

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/service/all/searchrooms.html

If a visit isn't possible (and I realise it may be difficult for Thomas to fit one in) the web site gives comprehensive details of the other services on offer.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Thanks, Jimmy,

I had suggested that source, together with Clydebank Town Hall, but I did not have the URLs. I'll pass them on. I also gave him photos of the models from the Transport Museum.

I suggested that he should try to get along whilst qe2 is in Greenock, but because of the expected crowds, crew will only be allowed ashore by special arrangement.

David

Im sure Myles will be able to help out Thomas !

The plans that recently sold on ebay were from the private collection of Commodore Warwick,I expected them to make more than the £140 considering the history etc.

The GA plans l have date from the year 2000, But lm sure of course he can see much more updated plans onboard, If not he is welcome to borrow mine, l will happen to have some spare sets soon, But that is another story for the roll calls on the farewell voyages.

By all means ask him if he wishes to see such things, lm onboard next month:D

There was if l recall,a person selling deck by deck plans (and they were bigger than mine!) on that well known site a few years ago

cheers

Myles

PS Gavin, Im not just to sure if you realise exactly how big these things are:eek:

The plans that recently sold on ebay were from the private collection of Commodore Warwick,I expected them to make more than the £140 considering the history etc.

The GA plans l have date from the year 2000, But lm sure of course he can see much more updated plans onboard, If not he is welcome to borrow mine, l will happen to have some spare sets soon, But that is another story for the roll calls on the farewell voyages.

There was if l recall,a person selling deck by deck plans (and they were bigger than mine!) on that well known site a few years ago

cheers

Myles

PS Gavin, Im not just to sure if you realise exactly how big these things are:eek:

I beg ya Pardon !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

with the Warwick family's very close links to Cunard over the years why ever they sold these deck plans of QE2 is a mystery to me - for a mere £140!!!#

I am lucky to have original plans of Canberra, the 'old' Oriana, SS Chusan but sadly no QE2 plans even though many family members have travelled many times on board - I would never sell these plans!

RJMS74

An original set of QE2 plans sold on Ebay last week for £142 - I was outbid! :mad: I have some 1970's cabin plans and I'll bring them with me on 40th Anniversary Cruise - I'm sure there's lots out there.

cheers

Myles

Thank you for the quick input. I knew this board would be able to help!

I passed on the info to Thomas and he replied immediately. He is very interested in any older plans. He would appreciate meeting with you when you are on board if you could take the plans along (size permitting). If you let me know the cruise dates and names, I'll pass them on.

David

He would appreciate meeting with you when you are on board if you could take the plans along (size permitting). If you let me know the cruise dates and names, I'll pass them on.

David

Hi David,

If you wish to email me, l will be pleased to supply further details.. the email is at the bottom of the signiture..

cheers

Myles

I am lucky to have original plans of Canberra, the 'old' Oriana, SS Chusan but sadly no QE2 plans even though many family members have travelled many times on board - I would never sell these plans!

RJMS74

I have plans for the older Queen's, a stack of P&O plans but unforunatley not QE2. I was lucky to be offered paper work when it was being parted with by a family who's interest was buses and not marine. The previouse owner worked for shippers in Liverpool and kept all kinds of paperwork and news paper cuttings.

Another local collector that I know happened to be walking down a street when he spied a house clearance skip full of shipping artifacts. He found the decesed's daughter, who had very little time, throwing out 2 generations of sea captains stuff. He was given leave to take anything he wanted. Unforunatly he missed out on three skip loads.

While we cannot understand why the family would put the deck plans on ebay at least they have not gone to the big skip in the sky.

Ships for a Nation: The History of John Brown & Co.Ltd., Clydebank - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ships-Nation-History-Co-Ltd-Clydebank/dp/0953773604/ref=sr_1_5/202-7425537-3857414?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188980254&sr=8-5

The above may be of interest we bought it for my FIL as he worked in the yard and on the QE2 among others - well worth a look

another book is "Clydebank 100: Ships from Clydebank"

Following may also be of interest http://www.wdcweb.info/culture/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=9259

with the Warwick family's very close links to Cunard over the years why ever they sold these deck plans of QE2 is a mystery to me - for a mere £140!!!#

Quite probably the fact they had them for over 40 years, and felt the time was right for somebody else to have a chance at owning them, Might that be a reason? At least they are not going with the ship to Dubai!!! Seems to be the case that everything is going with her! (well everything that remains on board at the time she docks in Dubai) but THAT subject has already been discussed;) and lm saying nothing else on that:eek:

You might well ask why do families sell of old antiques that have been in the family for years?

We have a very appreciative Thomas on board who is likely to do a Heritage "special" for CCers at Myles' request.

David

Which trip?

Matthew

Untill such time as l can speak to Thomas its think its unfair to say anything, I wouldnt him to assume anything without first speaking to him next month.

Archived