Question on Phil's tour for DCGRUMPY

loriva

DC,

I saw your post about being on Phil's Dunn's River Falls and River Tubing tour on another thread. We are booked with Phil for the same tour in early December and wondered if you could give a quick review and answer a few questions based on your recent experience.

Did you have any difficulty reaching Phil from the Tourist Liaison area? How many were on your tour? What time did you leave (how long after the ship docked did you get out--right away?)

The tour as outlined on the website goes to Dunn's River immediately and then to the White River for tubing. Any tips on what to bring? (We know to wear water shoes, swimsuit, sunscreen, bug spray, sunglasses and hat with cord and to bring waterproof camera and towel--so, is there anything else you wouldn't necessarily think about?) Is there someplace to change into dry clothes after the tubing?

The tour is supposed to continue with sightseeing of Fern Gully and a city highlights tour. Any comments? Is there is better side of the bus/van for viewing?

What was the "typical Jamaican" restaurant used for the lunch stop? What was the price range for food and drinks?

According to your post, the shopping stop mentioned on the web site outline of the tour is the Island shopping center. This is basically the end of the tour then, right--you're on your own from there and just a stroll back to the ship. Did you feel this (the restaurant and then to the Island SC) was pretty standard for all of the tour runnings?

Finally, was the price still $55/per person? Did you have the same driver/guide(s) all day? Or different ones at the falls and for tubing? Trying to figure out how much cash to bring along for tour, lunch, and tipping at the various sites.

Would appreciate your insights and thanks,

We were on Phil's tour and had a great time.

He had a rep waiting for us at the dock area where all the other tour guides meet. There were about 15 people on the tour in a small bus/large van. Very comfortable. Everyone was there who had signed for the tour within a few minutes, so we just left. I did get the impression that there was another van of 15 or so people that were also expected. As soon as our van of 15 was filled we were off to the falls.

Our group was the first group at the falls. The place was not even open when we pulled in the parking lot and opened up within a few minutes.

After the falls, we went on a drive through fern gully and the area, got some good pictures from high up of our ship docked. Learned alot about Jamaca...very interesting. After the tour of the area we went to tubing.

Tubing was absolutely the best! We loved it. We had 2 tour guides go down the river with us and there were about 12 of us tubing. The tubing lasted maybe 45 minutes to an hour.

Yes you are expected to tip everyone...and it adds up. Phil's charges were $55 per person...and well worth every bit of it.

You are expected to tip the guide at the falls, and the 2 guides who take you down the river in addition to the tour guide...so bring extra money and budget that in.

After that, our group wasn't intested in lunch...so we skipped that. About 1/2 wanted to go to Island Village shopping and the other `1/2 wanted to go back to the ship...so Phil dropped off those who wanted to shop at Island Village and the rest off us were dropped off at the ship.

It was really a great day and a fun way to visit Jamaca.

I remember some bathrooms or something when we first got into the water for tubing, but don't recall anyplace to change clothes afterward. We all just put on our clothes or coverups right there on the bus.

We didn't need bug spray. I would wear you bathing suit and then just put on clothes or a cover up on over it. Bring towels and extra cash in small bills for extra tipping.

Both sides of the bus/van were about the same for viewing. Don't bring too much stuff but do bring something to carry your cash with so the cash is on hand for tips.

Island Village is nice. Its right by the docks and a very easy walk back to the ships. There is alot of security there. Margarittaville is located in Island Village.

DC,

I saw your post about being on Phil's Dunn's River Falls and River Tubing tour on another thread. We are booked with Phil for the same tour in early December and wondered if you could give a quick review and answer a few questions based on your recent experience.

Did you have any difficulty reaching Phil from the Tourist Liaison area? How many were on your tour? What time did you leave (how long after the ship docked did you get out--right away?) It was easy I just asked the first person i saw where to go and she directed us where to wait. We had to wait about 10 minutes for Phil and his daughter. The bus was full, there was a group of 17 plus 2 other couples besides us. I'm guessing we got off about 15 minutes after we docked.

The tour as outlined on the website goes to Dunn's River immediately and then to the White River for tubing. Any tips on what to bring? (We know to wear water shoes, swimsuit, sunscreen, bug spray, sunglasses and hat with cord and to bring waterproof camera and towel--so, is there anything else you wouldn't necessarily think about?) Is there someplace to change into dry clothes after the tubing? I brought a plastic "wallet" to keep money to tip the guides. I'm not sure if there was anywhere to change we just got in the bus in our wet swimsuits.

The tour is supposed to continue with sightseeing of Fern Gully and a city highlights tour. Any comments? Is there is better side of the bus/van for viewing? I don't think it really matter which side you're on. The tour was very interesting.

What was the "typical Jamaican" restaurant used for the lunch stop? What was the price range for food and drinks? We didn't stop for lunch, I don't think the rest of the group wanted to. I would have like to stop, DH was looking forwrad to some authentic Jamaican food.

According to your post, the shopping stop mentioned on the web site outline of the tour is the Island shopping center. This is basically the end of the tour then, right--you're on your own from there and just a stroll back to the ship. Did you feel this (the restaurant and then to the Island SC) was pretty standard for all of the tour runnings? We had the option of being dropped off at Island Village or back at the ship.

Finally, was the price still $55/per person? Did you have the same driver/guide(s) all day? Or different ones at the falls and for tubing? Trying to figure out how much cash to bring along for tour, lunch, and tipping at the various sites. We had Phil all day. There were a few people who didn't want to do the tubing so He drove around with them and met the rest of us when we were done tubing. We paid for everything as we went. $15 for the Falls, $20 for tubing and then we paid Phil $20 plus tip when he dropped us off.

Would appreciate your insights and thanks,I thought the tour was great, he made it very interesting.

any other questions feel free to ask

Thanks, DCGrumpy! What was the range of tips people were giving to guides at the Falls and after tubing?

Take care,

We gave the guide at the Falls $20 for the 2 of us. I didn't see what anyone else gave. I'm not sure what we gave the guides at the tubing, maybe $5 each.

Archived