Ship sponsored excursions plus other ??

GJClay

1) Does anybody purchase the ship's excursions as opposed to independent simply to get off the ship early at a tender port (I know there are other benefits to using ships, such as the excursion being guaranteed to get you back on time, among other things)? However, I have heard that the ships excursions are so much more crowded and maybe not as good. This has not been my experience, but I have only been on two cruises, so don't have a lot to compare to; I think the excursions we picked were some of the least popular, as well, since all of the good one's were taken. At both tender ports I've seen, it looked so difficult to get to the island since the people with excursions through the ship were given priority.

2) Is Caymen better for snorkeling than Ocho Rios?

3) In Caymen, is the actual town/city of George Town worth seeing? Or is our time better spent simply doing beach/snorkeling activities? I'm not interested in stingray city, and altough I know many people love it, the thought of it freaks me out. I would never get in (I have panic attacks even snorkeling), but don't think I could stand to let my daughter in with them, either. Any suggestions on excursions that don't involve stingray city, but provide a good overview of the island, with snorkeling included somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...
1) Does anybody purchase the ship's excursions as opposed to independent simply to get off the ship early at a tender port (I know there are other benefits to using ships, such as the excursion being guaranteed to get you back on time, among other things)? However, I have heard that the ships excursions are so much more crowded and maybe not as good. This has not been my experience, but I have only been on two cruises, so don't have a lot to compare to; I think the excursions we picked were some of the least popular, as well, since all of the good one's were taken. At both tender ports I've seen, it looked so difficult to get to the island since the people with excursions through the ship were given priority.

I haven't done it but it seems like an expensive way to get off the ship earlier. The excursion will depend on the ship - I've seen boats with well in excess of 100 people trying to get into Stingray City aka cattleboat. It wasn't pretty at all and if you get on one of those IMO you're wasting your money. A boat with 20-25 people is much better.

2) Is Caymen better for snorkeling than Ocho Rios?

I don't know (haven't been to Ocho Rios) but the better snorkeling sites in Cayman require some form of transportation from the dock.

3) In Caymen, is the actual town/city of George Town worth seeing? Or is our time better spent simply doing beach/snorkeling activities? I'm not interested in stingray city, and altough I know many people love it, the thought of it freaks me out. I would never get in (I have panic attacks even snorkeling), but don't think I could stand to let my daughter in with them, either. Any suggestions on excursions that don't involve stingray city, but provide a good overview of the island, with snorkeling included somewhere?

Rent a car and spend a very relaxing day at either the Reef Resort on the East End or if its a bit windy continue on to Rum Point. Either place is a good beach with facilities, restaurant and bar. The city really isn't much to see at all.

Archived