Ft. Lauderdale hotel dilemma - need help!

jimbug

Okay, so here is the deal. I am traveling with a family group of 7 next March for our Liberty cruise. I am flying in alone the night before, 4 more family members are also flying in the night before, and then the remaining 2 are flying in the next morning. So, 5 of us need a hotel room. My uncle has Marriott points, and he will book the rooms for the 4 of them at the Courtyard Marriott Airport/Cruiseport, which also takes care of their transportation needs, so they are set.

I have to pay for my own hotel room, and here are my 3 options:

1.) I have the LaQuinta Cypress Creek reserved at $79/night, even with its bad reviews. I have to rent a car to get there, which is $40. I can drop the car off very near the cruise port, so they will either shuttle me there or it will be a very cheap cab ride. Additionally, it would allow me to pick up the other 2 who are flying in to the airport that morning.

2.) Get the Hollywood Beach Diplomat Country Club Resort on Hotwire for $179 with tax, and also do the $40 rental car thing. It's just for one night, but it looks fabulously luxurious, and I will be a 25-year-old female traveling alone, and it seems much safer. It is $100 more, though...

3.) Stay at the Courtyard Marriott with my other family members. The cheapest rate right now is $239 + tax. I would not have to rent a car, but the 2 who are flying in the next morning would have to get themselves to the airport (it's my mom and my elderly grandmother, so I kind of worry about them...). On the positive side, this option would help me to meet up with the other 4 family members and not have to search them out at Port Everglades.

What would you guys do? I suppose my other option is to try to bid cheap on Priceline for a zone I would be happy with and see what I can get, but I need a "guaranteed" backup plan in case that doesn't work out. Any suggestions?

Hey Jimbug, have talked to you over on our rollcall. Hopefully Bequia will read this and she is great help in FLL. Are you comfortable with your mom and grandmother getting a taxi from the airport.?? Would they meet you at the port or at your hotel??? If at your hotel, the 17th St. Extendedstay is 143.00 AAA rate right now. I know there is also a Holiday Inn Express there and an Embassy(which is high). Bequia says it is a very safe area. If you will be checked out and no where to meet, maybe a car would be the way to go, you could get them and then head to the port!

If they can do the taxi ok, I would probably put the rental car money into a safe hotel and maybe even where your relatives are.

We have a room at Extended stay, but going to cancel because I now have enough points for a free night at Embassy.

Wish I could be of more help and if you don't get any replies, just put ? for Bequia in the title and she will help!!!!

Good Luck and talk to you soon on the rollcall!!!

We stayed at the Holiday INN Cruise/airport in Fll before our Liberty Cruise. Breakfast provided--free transport to Port and from airport. Several CC members were there. Not much to do around there but you can run across the st and get a subway, order a pizza or go to the Greek restaurant down the street. I do not know the prices(we stayed with pts.) but can't be that bad. The other Holiday Inn has bad reviews.

If I was going on a family holiday I'd stay with the family. Worth the extra money in this case to share in the "pre-cruise" excitement the night before. Have you tried calling the hotel directly? Not the toll-free reservation number, maybe if you explain your family will be there they might find you a better rate.

Good Luck,

Archived