sunny isles

beachgal58

anyone have info on sunny isles? pre-cruise stay at thunderbird beach resort, wondering about restaurants/bars? cindy

Based on a recommendation of our neighbors, stayed at the Newport Beachside Resort pre-cruise for two days. Got a great rate on Southwest Airlines website. Is on the ocean and has a pool. Within walking distance of several stores. Brunch at hotel is $13 pp.:eek:, but priced for area. Utilized America Transportation which is part of the concierge of the hotel for transportation from FLL to Miami. Very dependable and would use again if we had to. Unfortunately we think this area is on the pricey side. Went to South Beach for our daughter's 24 birthday and dinner for 12 cost us $700:eek:. Regardless, I would definately stay at Newport Beachside again if I was cruising out of FLL or MIA:), would just dine local. Several smaller restaurants and stores. Also if you are a Starbucks lover like me:p, there is one two blocks away. Good luck.

We stayed at the Thunderbird for two nights pre cruise stay and love this Hotel... great service, fantastic atmosphere, great beach. free shuttle gets you to adventura mall and/or to south beach. We loved it so much we have booked 3 nights pre cruise for our Liberty of the Seas cruise in 2009.

We loved the hotel!! It is an older hotel so things don't look like a fancy 5 star hotel that you pay $300 a night for. But rooms were clean, beds were comfortable, resturant was cool inside, the lobby was fun and inviting and the workers were wonderful. Service was awesome. They were always cleaning. Kids activites thru out the day. Pool was great. Private beach area was so wonderful. We spent our nights out on beach. The hotel has some little beach "bars" so we enjoyed listening to the music while we were sitting on the beach chairs at night. Very safe area. Many European families go here so there are a lot of accents to delight hear ears. Food store right across the street.

Within a few blocks of resturant there are many sit down and fast food retusrants. We walked about 3/4 of a mile to to denny's but there are plenty of resturants within 4 to 5 blocks. Since we did not do a car rental we walked or took the shuttle or the public transit. We felt very safe.

I would have to say that I would come back here anytime. The atmosphere makes the place a 5 star in my book.

For those people who think that the newest hotels are better I would like to point out one thing about the building next door. Next door is the Trump towers. A high rise hotel. The beach in front of trump towers was dark all day due to the height of the towers blocking the sun. Our beach in front of our hotel was always sunny. We loved it. Beautiful.

The cost of a taxi from FLL airport ran us $70 to the hotel. The cost of the taxi from the hotelk to the port was $88

I hope that you enjoy the hotel as much as our family did.

thanks mercuryfan! sounds like its for us too. we r very casual, like seafood and a few drinks in the eve..beach/pool/drinks in the afternoon. i have a car for $45 fri/sat. t-bird has dollar car rental right there. taking cab/shuttle to port $50..worth it not to drive to the port! easy laid back vacation this time..thanks for the 411!!! cindy

thanks mercuryfan! sounds like its for us too. we r very casual, like seafood and a few drinks in the eve..beach/pool/drinks in the afternoon. i have a car for $45 fri/sat. t-bird has dollar car rental right there. taking cab/shuttle to port $50..worth it not to drive to the port! easy laid back vacation this time..thanks for the 411!!! cindy

Have you booked the room yet? Just wondering what price they qouted. I think we stayed for $119 including the resort fee which gets you really nice towels for the beach and the pool. The landscaping was great. We have a lot of pictures from the hotel but I am not sure how to share them.

hi mercury fan. my friend booked for us. we got a price of i think $79 aarp. dh is senior not me!! haha i know there will be added resort charges and also $8 a day for parking. i read somewhere the t-bird does not have beach or pool towels..i think it was a review on hotwire maybe. i was leary after reading it! like they could hear people arguing all night and walls r thin. we like the beach idea! sounds great to us..we will drive around to find a seafood restaurant..my pal asked how much a shuttle/taxi would be hotel/port..they said $50...who knows. i just dont wanna drive int eh port area. no thanks! haha taxi me..this sept maybe hurricane season has a bit lower prices. or they have hidden costs. what a surprise..looking forward to the pool and beachbar too...thanks for the 411...cindy

hi mercury fan. my friend booked for us. we got a price of i think $79 aarp. dh is senior not me!! haha i know there will be added resort charges and also $8 a day for parking. i read somewhere the t-bird does not have beach or pool towels..i think it was a review on hotwire maybe. i was leary after reading it! like they could hear people arguing all night and walls r thin. we like the beach idea! sounds great to us..we will drive around to find a seafood restaurant..my pal asked how much a shuttle/taxi would be hotel/port..they said $50...who knows. i just dont wanna drive int eh port area. no thanks! haha taxi me..this sept maybe hurricane season has a bit lower prices. or they have hidden costs. what a surprise..looking forward to the pool and beachbar too...thanks for the 411...cindy

Thunderbird does have beach towels they have older retired gentlemen who dispense them out very colorful cigar smoking guys retires from the chicago area fun to chat with and very personable

• 2 weeks later...

merc fan, wanted to let u know we stayed pre and post cruise at the t-bird! it was fine. i thought of u when i talked tot he little guys with the cigars at the pool. p-u we could smell them the whole time..cigars that is..haha liked the little bar, inside by the restaurant too..food was ok, just had a sandwich the put on the table and never saw the server again. tip icluded so...but we did like the hotel, the bartender said it wont be there long, condos..didnt say when, i know u have reservations..there sure isnt any seafood around that place though! i am familar with the area so we went to shells up int he pines and to lauderdale for lunch on sunday. next time we will stay in lauderdale, more things to do and places to eat..maybe a few more folks speaking english too..but we did enjoy the t-bird!! thanks again for the info. cindy

Archived