Viking Sun

Yosemitegal

:( We went on the Viking Sun from Antwerp to Basel in June 2007 following a wonderful cruise on the Viking Neptune in 2006. Sorry to say we were bitterly disappointed with the Sun, especially the dining. The sevice was slow and some of the waiting staff were quite aggressive. Some of the food fell below par - "International cheese board" one evening comprised Brie rolled in paprika, Brie rolled in pepper & Brie rolled in chives! Marmalade ran out after three days never to be seen again. The toaster needed two days notice, it was so slow. OK little things, but they just added up and ruined what could have been a great cruise. I think the basic problem is the ship carries too many passengers (198) for the crew and particularly the facilities to handle - you may find it better on a smaller ship.

On the good side the cleaning staff were excellent and the ship spotless.

My letter to Viking pointing out some of the problems they might like to address resulted in a reply stating "no one else complained", "two waiters were missing" and here's €20 cabin credit on your next cruise.

Thanks for you reply. We had such a wonderful experience on the Amadagio last month, it sounds like we would be disappionted with Viking.

I wish that Amadeus had a few more choices, they dont do a Basel to Antwerp. Many of the other cruises that they offer would be places we have already been too.

I was not in any way suggesting that all Viking cruises are the same as our experience on the Viking Sun. A number of the passengers (mainly first-timers) thought that the cruise was great and perhaps we were a little too picky about the standards we expected. But that might be Viking's own fault, as in 2006 we were on the Viking Neptune (150 passengers) on the Eastern Odyessey and this was a fantastic trip in all respects and to be highly recommended.

If Viking have resolved the shortage of waiting staff that should improve our main concerns about the dining room on the Sun.

My husband and I returned yesterday from our Viking Sun trip from Antwerp to Basel. This was our first river cruise and had a wonderful time. I do have to agree that they could use more wait staff in the dining room, but I wouldn't let that deter you from booking. The majority of the time we felt the food was excellent.

Hi Yosemitegal,

I love these boards, but it can be quite confusing on which River Cruise to select. I made my final decision based on a local Travel Agency suggestion and Viking is mentioned in the book 1,000 Places To See Before You Die.

We did Amsterdam to Budapest on Amadeus in July, we had a great time and enjoyed everything about the cruise. We thought we might do Antwerp to Basel in 2008, there would be 3 ports that we have already been to but we enjoyed them and could see them again. I was reading a post this morning from a few others that did the Antwerp to Basel, several said that they felt a few of the ports were a waste of time and that they were'nt given enough time in the ports that they did like. Did you feel like they rushed you through each port?:confused:

We just returned from the Viking Sun Rhine River cruise and loved it. The ship is new, the cabins very comfortable (about equivalent to a standard cabin on an ocean cruise) and the staff very accommodating. The only complaint was about the food service, which was so-so and resulted in many meals being served luke-warm at best. I suspect too few kitchen crew. The menus are good and the choices fine. The best aspect of the cruise was the itineraries and excellent local guides. Most entailed walking tours which were very informative and entertaining. Buses were used only to get to off-river destinations. We agree that this was the best cruise vacation we've every taken.

My wife and I were on the Viking Sun in early July. We found the service in the dining room very slow. The staff seemed enthusiastic but not able to handle the amount of guests. On many evenings there was almost 40 minutes between ordering dinner and the 1st course. After that the next courses were rushed.

We felt some of the bus trips were too long. The local tours were very good. Our favorites were Colonge, Amsterdam and Brugge. (Not enough time in Brugge)

Thanks for your replies. I know I wouldnt be happy if the service was that slow. I am looking at Viking because I like that itinery, Avalon has a cruise that goes to some of the same ports, but it also goes to some of the ports that I was just at in July.

San Rafaelbob we might be neighbors. I live across the bay from San Rafael in San Leandro.

Archived