World Cruise: 1st seating or 2nd seating?

RMVET

We are taking QE2 World Cruise NYC to NYC, leaving Jan. 13, 2008, and have a question as to which seating would be best on such a long voyage (90 days).

On previous voyages, we always selected second seating because my British husband enjoys afternoon tea, and we didn't want to have dinner shortly thereafter. Also, with second seating, we didn't have to rush back from land touring to get ready for an early dinner. However, with so many days at sea, would we be better off with first seating? Any opinions from veteran world cruise passengers would be appreciated?

We are taking QE2 World Cruise NYC to NYC, leaving Jan. 13, 2008, and have a question as to which seating would be best on such a long voyage (90 days).

On previous voyages, we always selected second seating because my British husband enjoys afternoon tea, and we didn't want to have dinner shortly thereafter. Also, with second seating, we didn't have to rush back from land touring to get ready for an early dinner. However, with so many days at sea, would we be better off with first seating? Any opinions from veteran world cruise passengers would be appreciated?

This is one of those questions only you can answer. We prefer early sitting because we are awake half the night if we eat late. For afternoon tea we just have maybe one sweet confectionary - the QM2 "brick" sandwiches are easily avoided. On the other hand you have more time to sit and talk over dinner if you eat late - pays your money takes your pick.

David.

I'm with your husband on the tea bit and don't like to eat early anyway... Perhaps veterans can advise on the possibility of changing mid-course?

Where in Northern Va do you have tea?

Note to Happyscot: Ah! Forget it--let's hear it...

I'm sorry, treasured colonial cousin, I'm not with you - forget what, hear what. Were you going to tell me off? I don't mind, it's your board.

What's a Va? Does a Northern one have more fur?

On previous cruises I have taken the late sitting, but did not like the after dinner rush to get a good seat for evening events. Also, I found I was prone to snack more during the day when dining late. Following busier shore excursions, we took advantage of a late buffet rather than dressing up for dinner.

I'm going on the QV world cruise this January and have opted for an early sitting this time and hope that this can be changed if it really doesn't suit me (maybe if I hit it off with another solo cruiser who is on the late sitting where we would both mutually benefit from each others company during meal times). I quite enjoy the sail-away experience, so there is a chance I might be missing some early sittings due to this.

Hmmm... I get butterflies in my tummy every time I think about it. Not sure if its excitement or fear :eek:.

Before this thread drifts totally into the brambles, I am also on this voyage and have booked the second seating. While I do find 8:30 to be a wee bit late and sort of in the middle of the evening for other activities, I also enjoy a full afternoon tea and the early seating is just too close. Of course the late seating does get in the way of the midnight buffet/snack offering but there are sacrifices.

I think that the late seating has way more pluses than minuses such as the late return from port visits, afternoon tea time, not being rushed out of the dining room for the next wave and even the possibility of assisting in the burning of the candle at both ends. Ie: Rising early to see the sunrises and going to bed late to enjoy the night life - late seating allows for a nice nap after tea and still gives one time to prepare for dinner.

I think that with so many of us here on CC in Mauritania we can commadeer a goodly section of the dining room and have a blast.

I'm sorry, treasured colonial cousin, I'm not with you - forget what, hear what. Were you going to tell me off? I don't mind, it's your board.

What's a Va? Does a Northern one have more fur?

Just, possibly, more brambles...

By the way, don't generalize: I may be living on the other side of the (big) pond, but I was born on the other side of the (small) one...

:D :D :D

Just, possibly, more brambles...

By the way, don't generalize: I may be living on the other side of the (big) pond, but I was born on the other side of the (small) one...

:D :D :D

Mmm...........strange name for an Irishman.............

:eek:

I'm with your husband on the tea bit and don't like to eat early anyway... Perhaps veterans can advise on the possibility of changing mid-course?

Where in Northern Va do you have tea?

Hi, NomDePlume --

With a wide group of British friends who do lovely teas, we don't go out for tea very often, but we have found some lovely ones in the Washington, DC area.

The best kept secret (between you and me and the thousands of others who will be reading this thread) is tea at the National Cathedral. It is part of the Tour and Tea program that is held once or twice a week. They give you a tour of the Cathedral and then you have tea in one of the stone towers. Wonderful setting overlooking Washington. We have also had tea at the Four Seasons in Georgetown, Ritz Carlton at Pentagon City, and at the Willard Hotel. So, if you want to splurge a little (or a lot, depending how how deep your pockets are), any of these would be a good bet.

I did the entire 2007 QE2 world cruise, and while I ate in the Caronia Restaurant which was single-seating, I would advise late seating for the very reasons you mentioned. I generally went to my table between 8:30-8:45. Some passenger acquaintances who had early seating in Mauretania, however, seemed a bit harried on sailing days in terms of getting back to the ship and ready for dinner. They often were disappointed because they had to miss the sailaways altogether. I particularly enjoyed my long and leisurely sea days because I did not have to be ready for dinner early.

Have a wonderful voyage. I loved every moment of mine!

Bobby

I did the entire 2007 QE2 world cruise, and while I ate in the Caronia Restaurant which was single-seating, I would advise late seating for the very reasons you mentioned. I generally went to my table between 8:30-8:45. Some passenger acquaintances who had early seating in Mauretania, however, seemed a bit harried on sailing days in terms of getting back to the ship and ready for dinner. They often were disappointed because they had to miss the sailaways altogether. I particularly enjoyed my long and leisurely sea days because I did not have to be ready for dinner early.

Bobby

Oh Lord... is it too late to change my booking arrangements to a late sitting? (I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing :rolleyes:)

List out your pros and cons. We have opted for early sitting since neither of us do at all well if eating late ..... on days when we think of having tea, we may opt for a lighter dinner. I find I really gain weight when I eat late in the evening (so will keep the midnight buffets to a minimum). We will just have to cope with the sailaway and the return from shore trips .... sometimes I would probably be too tired to eat anyway.:eek:

Susan

Oh Lord... is it too late to change my booking arrangements to a late sitting? (I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing :rolleyes:)

I did late seating on my first crossings on the QE2 and I found that it was too late for me, tended to eat more than I should between meals because it was so long until dinner. Plus just found it uncomfortable for my digestion to eat so late. I always believed you had to be on the ship a half hour before departure and most of the departures are at 6:00pm. Time enough for me to shower and dress. Early is 6:30pm which suits me just fine because I can go to the movie and see the entertainment in the showroom if I wish. As far as the sail aways go there are more nights at sea and I can eat in the Lido if I don't want to miss the action on deck or I can view it in my formal attire. I know some people find dining late fashionable but each to their own. I booked a year before the QE2 2008 WC and was on a wait list for early seating, just made the confirmed for early two weeks ago.

too tired to eat anyway.:eek:

Susan

I'm sorry. I do not understand this statement.

Must be a language barrier. What does it mean?

<G>

Kazzie, these two ladies gave you good advice. Do what is best for you.

We tend to eat around 8 or 9 every night, so eating at 6:00 I would be hungry again! I DON'T tend to eat mid-afternoon and the ship, and often miss lunch.

Good luck with your decision.

Karie,

who just finshed dinner!

Thank you very much to the last 3 posters who have successfully settled my small ripple of panic over whether I have booked the right sitting. I needed to be reminded of why I made the choice in the first place... I would prefer to eat early and not nibble my way towards morbid obesity in the afternoons (which I know I'd do if eating later :eek:).

I'm sorry. I do not understand this statement.

Must be a language barrier. What does it mean?

<G>

Kazzie, these two ladies gave you good advice. Do what is best for you.

We tend to eat around 8 or 9 every night, so eating at 6:00 I would be hungry again! I DON'T tend to eat mid-afternoon and the ship, and often miss lunch.

Good luck with your decision.

Karie,

who just finshed dinner!

It's easy to understand someone being too tired to eat. Or just (fed up) with the constant shovelling of food into reluctant cake holes. Anyone fancy an overflowing plate full from the midnight buffet after a late dinner? We've all seen it. I've never done a World cruise but with 90 days of that routine I would welcome a day off.

David.

Okay, we select one and sail away.

However, if we find that it just wasn't the best choice, how difficult is it to change times? I can imagine that it would be easier to change from 1st seating to 2nd, but not vice versa. Anyone have experience with changing?

Okay, we select one and sail away.

However, if we find that it just wasn't the best choice, how difficult is it to change times? I can imagine that it would be easier to change from 1st seating to 2nd, but not vice versa. Anyone have experience with changing?

I'd guess it would be quite possible at the sector changes - so on the QE2 World Cruise, New York would be the first, and so on. Might be harder otherwise. But ask - they'll do their best, and if it is possible then they will do it.

Matthew

It's easy to understand someone being too tired to eat. Or just (fed up) with the constant shovelling of food into reluctant cake holes. Anyone fancy an overflowing plate full from the midnight buffet after a late dinner? We've all seen it. I've never done a World cruise but with 90 days of that routine I would welcome a day off.

David.

Actually, I have rarely gone to the Midnight buffets on any ship, and if I do (for the Grand Buffet, for instance) I rarely eat! Cakes and deserts are not my thing. I might like a small sandwich (the little finger sandwiches they have out late at night) if I didn't eat much dinner. I often miss lunch, I don't regularly eat breakfast, and if I want a snack at night, it's usually not that much. But then I am also up very late. i am NOT a morning person! It's been a heck of a year getting used to being at work at 8 AM when i used to saunter in at 10 or 11 AM! (But I stayed often til 9 or 10 at night~! When you are tech support, things don't break at 8AM. They invariably break at 4 PM, and usually on a Friday!)

Of course, eating like that (and that is how I regularly eat) one has to wonder how I got so big! Well, that's another subject, involving medication and such, but it really isn't a healthy way to eat, and I have been trying to force myself to eat at least breakfast or lunch, if not both. It really is much healthier, and your body does not horde what it does get, thinking it will be another 24 hours before it gets fed again!

Karie,'

NOT who you should emulate for nutrition advice! (I know it, I just don't DO it!)

Archived