Fall Folliage Question

mek

We are taking a cruise to Halifax and Saint John the last week of September. I realize weather conditions can delay the change, but on average, is there usually some color by then?

Thanks.

This website may not be of much help to the OP but I thought I'd post it anyway:

http://novascotia.com/fall/en/home/whattodo/leafwatch/default.aspx

Clicking on last year's results will provide a pretty good guidline though. I can give reports from my backyard :p : the ends of several branches are turning red already, but have a long way to go (I live near the ocean, the approach to Halifax Harbour). Also, I did a quick search but couldn't find a similar site for New Brunswick.

Hope you thoroughly enjoy your cruise, whatever colour the leaves happen to be!

Thanks, as I expected we will probably see some color, but nowhere near peak. Here in Ohio, the leaves are usually still green with the exception of this year. It has been so dry this summer with most days in the mid 90's and one week in the 100's. Our poor leaves will probably simply turn brown and drop. It will be nice to see a little color.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the links I posted on the Oct 6 Crown Princess Roll Call:

You may be in luck after all. Here in the Halifax area it was cool last night and there's a frost warning for tonight. It's very fall like today, only up to 11 and it's almost noon time. We also had a huge rainstorm yesterday, with high winds. I noticed in a lot of places around the city, that there are patches of red starting to pop up. I for one love an early start to the fall foliage as it's my absolute favourite time of year.

Just what I wanted to hear - thanks so much for the update! I finally was able to get a 10 day forecast for your area and it looks cool and dry for next Monday and Tuesday. I can't wait, this is our first time to this part of Canada and I'm really looking forward to it.

You may be in luck after all. Here in the Halifax area it was cool last night and there's a frost warning for tonight. It's very fall like today, only up to 11 and it's almost noon time. We also had a huge rainstorm yesterday, with high winds. I noticed in a lot of places around the city, that there are patches of red starting to pop up. I for one love an early start to the fall foliage as it's my absolute favourite time of year.

haligonian37.....is the weather staying cool this week? We will be in Halifax on Tuesday (25th). Do you think we will see any fall foliage changing? Would you recommed that we rent a car and drive more inland to see colour?

Thanks for you input.

haligonian37.....is the weather staying cool this week? We will be in Halifax on Tuesday (25th). Do you think we will see any fall foliage changing? Would you recommed that we rent a car and drive more inland to see colour?

Thanks for you input.

Hi fitters....the overnight temperatures for the last few days have been in the range of 7-11c. The forecast is pretty much the same for the next week or so, with no sign of rain (including the 25th). I have found that every day on the way to work (I live on the outskirts of the city, near the water...I'll probably see you on your way in or out of the harbour!) we seem to notice more and more colour change. I'm not sure about the conditions inland, but I would always recommend a trip to either the Annapolis Valley or the South Shore.

Also, this website might be of some help for you (and others) considering the same trip:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/cameras/camera.asp

It's all of our provincial highway cams, just click on the little red cameras on the map and you'll get live (most of the time) pictures and weather conditions from all over NS.

Hope this helps....if you have any other questions, just ask!

ps: As of yesterday, the company I work for (retail) is taking US $$ at par....this is also the case at the local banks and I'm sure most retail businesses will follow.

Hi fitters....the overnight temperatures for the last few days have been in the range of 7-11c. The forecast is pretty much the same for the next week or so, with no sign of rain (including the 25th). I have found that every day on the way to work (I live on the outskirts of the city, near the water...I'll probably see you on your way in or out of the harbour!) we seem to notice more and more colour change. I'm not sure about the conditions inland, but I would always recommend a trip to either the Annapolis Valley or the South Shore.

Also, this website might be of some help for you (and others) considering the same trip:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/cameras/camera.asp

It's all of our provincial highway cams, just click on the little red cameras on the map and you'll get live (most of the time) pictures and weather conditions from all over NS.

Hope this helps....if you have any other questions, just ask!

ps: As of yesterday, the company I work for (retail) is taking US $$ at par....this is also the case at the local banks and I'm sure most retail businesses will follow.

Thank you haligonian37! We are looking forward to seeing your part of the country!

Just what I wanted to hear - thanks so much for the update! I finally was able to get a 10 day forecast for your area and it looks cool and dry for next Monday and Tuesday. I can't wait, this is our first time to this part of Canada and I'm really looking forward to it.

It was very warm this week( mid 20's celcius on Tues. , wed., Thurs., and Friday, 22 today) I have not seen the slightest hint of colour. The trees are a green as my grass. The kids just got out of the pool( it is 8:35 PM) Our weather is not as bad as many think it is. To be honest though, it seems summer is hanging on a bit later than usual this year.

I think it depends on where you live. Out here by the water, there are many spots where the trees are turning red, not vibrant but they are changing. The nights are definitely cooler than July/August and we usually always have warmer days in September/early October.....remember Juan? Actually, I'd rather not remember :(

Archived