Question about Carnival transfers

Orcrone

We return into Miami on the Carnival Valor on 12/9. My brother has an 11:02 AM flight out of Miami. He's debating between taking Carnival's transfer or a cab to the airport. He's worried about the following:

1. If he goes with Carnival they'll have him off the ship at 7AM and waiting at the airport for 3 hours.
  2. If he takes a cab he said he's seen times when it takes an hour to get a cab.

Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with an early plane out of Miami?

Cabs:

I have taken both cabs and car service to/from Miami airport and terminal. The wait for the cab was not bad, but we were one of the last off of the ship and the next cruise pax were already arriving, so I assume that made it easier.

The time we needed to catch an early flight, we used a van service that was waiting for us when we got off the ship.

Transfer:

I would not use the Carnival since it is so close to the airport, and the cost is much lower, even with the car service, than the Carnival transfer.

An 11:00 flight is somewhat risky, but if it is a done deal then make sure you contact the purser's desk before debarkation and get the correct luggage tags or do self assist. I have never experienced a ship clearing customs, getting off the ship, then getting my bags loaded by 7, so even with the transfer, you are probably not going to be at the airport before 9 or 10, again in my experience.

I don't think purchasing a transfer from Carnival gets one off the ship sooner.

With an 11:00 am flight, I'd be planning how to get to the airport ASAP in case the ship docks late or there are customs issues. Self-assist & grab a cab.

Being at the airport early is way ahead of being at the end of a mile long line nervously tapping your toe and watching your watch.

WE don't use the Carnival transfers any more. We used them twice (13 carnival cruises) and both times we had to wait at the airport for enough to fill the bus. We could have been at the port and on the ship in the amount of tim we had to wait. Also... remember... if you use the transfer coming in and you are on the bus.. there are at least that many more people potentially in front of you in line.

Archived