Confessions of a Princess water convert.

NthernLgts

The DW and I just got off the Caribbean Princess 2 weeks ago. Before, we had been the bring a case of water onboard type. Well, this time we just brought a bottle for each of us and refilled as needed. It worked out fine. I dont know if was just us or what, but last time it seemed like the room water had a distinct taste of soft water. This time it seemed fine. In any event, water from the Horizon Court would have been fine too. We'll stick to this plan next time. I'm glad to get that off my chest ;).

Sure saved a lot of lugging that case to the ship didn't it?

The last 5 years or so we have found the ships water to be just as good as bottled, so no need to go to the trouble of taking any with us.

They supply two bottles of water in our bar set up and we just refill as needed and put them in the frig to chill.

Ships have improved things so much in recent years, and water is one of the great improvements. Heck, I can remember when you weren't allowed to drink ships water and they brought a pitcher twice a day to your cabin for drinking purposes. OPPS! Now I am dating myself. Of coarse I was just a child when that happened. (got out of that one quickly lol)

It did save the hassle of carrying it, for us and the porters too. Honestly, last time I could tell a difference between the HC water and the water in our stateroom (again, the soft water thing). As I'm well into my 40's now, and maybe my tastebuds are slowly dying off, but I didnt notice much of a difference this time.

The DW and I just got off the Caribbean Princess 2 weeks ago. Before, we had been the bring a case of water onboard type. Well, this time we just brought a bottle for each of us and refilled as needed. It worked out fine. I dont know if was just us or what, but last time it seemed like the room water had a distinct taste of soft water. This time it seemed fine. In any event, water from the Horizon Court would have been fine too. We'll stick to this plan next time. I'm glad to get that off my chest ;).

Thank goodness!!! Judging from the title I thought the OP had joined a weird cult!!!!:eek: :D

I have been trying to tell people that the ship water is better than any bottled water on this board for years - yet - there are still a few that are convinced it makes them swell!! I swell up too but not from the water.

Ron

Toto,

I have to agree with you. The swelling is not from the water on board. I usually have problems with my feet swelling on a cruise - finally took a "land vacation" last month and had the same problem with my feet.

My cure is to lay off the booze and go heavy on the unsweetened tea, either iced or hot. Not going to blame the water on board any more!

Toto,

I have to agree with you. The swelling is not from the water on board. I usually have problems with my feet swelling on a cruise - finally took a "land vacation" last month and had the same problem with my feet.

My cure is to lay off the booze and go heavy on the unsweetened tea, either iced or hot. Not going to blame the water on board any more!

LOL, Oh I forgot to mention the booze is also a factor that plays heavily in this, so there are three causes and one is not the water. ;)

The swelling some passengers find can be caused by either flying or the high content of the salt in the sauces and foods onboard, or a combination of both. It has nothing at all to do with the water.
I had heard that the desalinized water on the ship had a high sodium content. Does anyone know if that's just a myth?

I had heard that the desalinized water on the ship had a high sodium content. Does anyone know if that's just a myth?

Can you taste the salt? With IV fluids, Normal Saline with a 0.09% NaCl (Sodium Chloride i.e., salt) content tastes rather salty. We are talking about less than 0.1 % salt concentration. But at the same time, if you read the contents in bottled water they do contain some salt.

Distilled water has no sodium content at all. But at the same time distilled water washes away the electrolytes in your body which can lead to imbalances that affect cardiac function.

Desalinized is not the same as distilled, I'd like to know if there is salt in the desalinized water - because I can't have salt. I was planning on picking up a case of bottled water on the way to port, I drink 8 a day. I don't drink alcohol, soda, tea or coffee anymore...(yeah I'm a real fun person!) well I might try a cappucinio onboard for a treat.

Desalinized is not the same as distilled, I'd like to know if there is salt in the desalinized water - because I can't have salt. I was planning on picking up a case of bottled water on the way to port, I drink 8 a day. I don't drink alcohol, soda, tea or coffee anymore...(yeah I'm a real fun person!) well I might try a cappucinio onboard for a treat.

I am not a chemist but from what I am reading desalinized water is basically distilled water. It is the wave of the future as finding potable water is getting harder and harder in some geographical locations. The caveat is that if the water is softened, then some sodium is added to the water.

http://waterquality.cce.cornell.edu/faq/questionm2.htm

The two techniques used for desalination are a thermal process (distillation) or reverse osmosis. The first process is based on evaporating the water while the salt remains behind. The biggest drawback of this technique is the fact that it can't remove volatile chemicals that evaporate with the water. The second technique is reverse osmosis. Water under pressure is pushed through a filter with very small holes, so the water can go through, but the salt molecules remain behind.

If those of you who stated you could not have salt in the water, what do you do about the food you eat on a ship? Avoiding salt in food seems nearly impossible to me.

I don't take gravies or sauces, I ask for plain steamed veggies with no butter, I don't have the soups, salad dressings are on the side so I only have a tiny bit. Yes I get natural salt in lobster or meats that are seasoned when they cook them, cheese etc.. but I avoid it as much as possible.

Drinking 8 x 591ml bottles of water a day, I would rather bring it that drink desalinized if there is loads of salt in it. That's why I wanted to check. :)

Archived