Best Way to Travel to NY Harbor

AKA1908

I am going on the Spirit in a few weeks (a one-nighter) and would like to know the best way to get to the pier. Should we drive? How's parking and how much? Or should we take the train? Does the train take you to the harbor? Or should we take a taxi? Please help!! Thanks!

I am going on the Spirit in a few weeks (a one-nighter) and would like to know the best way to get to the pier. Should we drive? How's parking and how much? Or should we take the train? Does the train take you to the harbor? Or should we take a taxi? Please help!! Thanks!

Parking overnight is $25 at the NYC pier... I think you may want to relax and take the train.. You are going to need all your energy for your one nighter!! IT WAS AWESOME!

From Virginia it would be easiest for a one-nighter to take Amtrak to Penn Station and either take a cab, or even walk if you are able and it's a nice day.

The pier is at 12th Ave between 49th and 54th streets, with the pedestrian entrance at about 50th street.

As mentioned, after a one night cruise you're not going to feel like driving back. We were just on another one nighter and we always take the train and most of the time we walk to the pier. It's a 45 minute walk and very interesting. Weather permitting that is. Then again cab rides in NY are in a class by themselves. Also, today I see some cab drivers in NY are going on strike. Shouldn't be a problem by the time your cruise happens.

Amtrak to Penn Station. Taxi from Penn Station to the terminal. If you have a AAA number, you'll get a 10% Amtrak discount (not on Acela). You may also cash in Amex points for Amtrak.

Here's a list of Virginia Amtrak stations:

http://stations.amtrak.com/amtrak/StationSearchResults.jsp

AKA1908,

Hi! We live right across the river in NJ in Monmouth County (Jersey Shore) and we ALWAYS take the train (NJ Transit - not Amtrak) to NY Penn Station & taxi it from there. Ride to the pier is about 10-20 minutes, depending on NYC traffic. Fare is between $8 & $15, again depending on traffic. If you're leaving on a Saturday or Sunday it's 10 minutes. We went out of NYC on the Spirit in October '06 & left on a Thursday. We got to Penn Station around 11 & the taxi took about a half hour due to traffic. So plan accordingly.

Would NOT suggest you hoof-it; it is a VERY long walk, especially with luggage. Even on a nice weather day.

Also I dunno Amtrak's schedule but allow time for lateness. When I was commuting to NYC from NJ it seemed to me that when I was listening to train announcements I was always hearing that Amtrak trains were late. If I were you I'd arrive a day early, get a hotel room (they ARE a bit pricey now) & if you have time take a bus tour of NYC. It's a lot of fun and a great way to see NY.

Have a great cruise! :)

Tom & Eileen

Archived