leaving from NYC in December

YoshiandCamby

Hi folks !

I just told someone about leaving from the Gem on Dec 22 & they said they felt sorry for me that I already purchased the tickets.

Can you please share your thoughts/experience leaving from NYC in the cold weather ? I'm worried now that it'll be way too cold & the water will be too choppy. :(

My itinerary isn't too exciting (Port Canaveral FL, Great Stirrup Cay Bahamas, Key West FL). I booked this cruise thinking it would be great to avoid the hassle of flying to Miami & also, this is the only time I'll be able to take off from work this year from work which is between X-mas & New Years.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!! :)

Hi folks !

I just told someone about leaving from the Gem on Dec 22 & they said they felt sorry for me that I already purchased the tickets.

Can you please share your thoughts/experience leaving from NYC in the cold weather ? I'm worried now that it'll be way too cold & the water will be too choppy. :(

My itinerary isn't too exciting (Port Canaveral FL, Great Stirrup Cay Bahamas, Key West FL). I booked this cruise thinking it would be great to avoid the hassle of flying to Miami & also, this is the only time I'll be able to take off from work this year from work which is between X-mas & New Years.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!! :)

Provided you do not leave in a winter storm, you will have smooth sailing and a fantastic time. I sailed out of New York last December and it was smooth as glass. As long as the weather cooperates, you should have no issues.

We are sailing the week after you Gem Dec 29 and are also hoping for good weather. We did sail last year Dec 21 on the Spirit. The weather was great, the seas were calm the entire cruise. You needed a jacket on departure day but on the second day (first sea day) I was in t-shirt & shorts/bathing suit. On the return trip it was not until late afternoon of the last sea day that the weather turned cool again and you required a jacket or sweater. Even if it is too cold to enjoy a lot of time outside, there is a ton of activities and exciting things to do on board, including bowling onthe Gem.

Hope you & I both have a great cruise.

I booked this cruise thinking it would be great to avoid the hassle of flying to Miami & also, this is the only time I'll be able to take off from work this year from work which is between X-mas & New Years.

They should be feel jealous of you, not sorry for you. I've done that itinerary on the Dawn. It's not a great itinerary. I think saying it would be great to avoid the hassle of flying to Miami is a huge understatement. Wake up in the morning, leisurely get to the ship and let your vacation begin. It's the best.

We sail every December out of NY as we will this year again. First full day at sea and the last tend to be cool. But after and before that everything should be fine. Hurricane season will hopefully be over by then. Being a new ship there should be plenty of indoor exploring to do on that first day.

alrighty then, guess it's all settled then ! i'll just stick with this cruise then.

you're right, since we're in NYC, might as well avoid the hassle of flying & just sail straight outta here ! seems so practical & convenient.

not too excited about the itinerary though but oh well, it's a new ship ... i'm sure we'll have a blast ! :D

We traveled on NCL Spirit in February, 2007 and are planning to cruise again this February (2008). As stated, it is cold the 1st day, but beautiful the next few. Cruising out of NEw york is the best, no flying or hassles of the airport. Step on-Vacation begins. Let us know how it was.

I'm thinking of sailing out of NY on dec 29th on norwegian. I wanted to wait for warmer waether but I just don't feel like waiting til next summer.

We will be at sea for new years. Has anyone ever spent New years on the Norwegian Gem. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

We are sailing from New York on 2 December this year on a 12 night southern caribbean itinerary with Royal Caribbean (Explorer of the Seas). I'm so glad to read these posts about the weather. I posted on the roll call board for this cruise and heard nothing but horror stories about the first and last sea days!

Will the weather in the caribbean be good? I know it'll get dark a lot earlier - will the evenings be cooler than in summer?

Archived