dry dock / wet dock schedule

rols

We got the dock schedule for the ships, I was looking for it earlier in the threads and couldn't find it all so here it is.

Silver Wind

Dry dock - July 07

Silver Whisper

Dry dock - October 07

Silver Shadow

Wet dock - January 08

Silver Cloud

Wet dock - April 08

Whisper is clearly wrong, as i have a cruise to the 26. october

That schedule is not necessarily wrong. Dry docks aren't typically an entire month. They more often last days, not weeks. It costs the cruise lines a great deal of money to have their ships out of service, and they try to minimize the amount of time that ships are not filled with paying customers.

Whisper is clearly wrong, as i have a cruise to the 26. october

It doesn't mean the whole month. Looking at the cruise calendar for gaps it would seem that the dates are these

Whisper: 26 Oct --> 9 Nov

Shadow: 7 Jan --> 16 Jan

Cloud: 27 Apr --> 15 May

So as soon as you disembark after your cruise, the flurry of activity starts. I'd love to see it actually, wish I could get people to work on my house that fast.

Can someone explain to me the difference in maintenance that is done during

dry dock versus wet dock?

Thanks

Dry dock provides access to the bottom of the ship. The ship sails into a lock-type berth from which water is drained, and the ship is on blocks.

Wet dock does not result in access to the parts of the ship normally covered with water.

Each dry dock/wet dock is different, depending upon the maintenance and update needs of the particular ship.

Common reasons for dry dock:

* painting/cleaning/repairing the bottom

* repairing/replacing/adding equipment at the bottom (thrusters, stabilizers, etc...)

While the ship is being repaired, the companies typically take advantage of the down time to make aesthetic and/or necessary interior changes which could be accomplished at wet dock, for instance:

* replace carpeting/paint/furniture

* refinish wood in exposed areas

Since time is so valuable, dry docks are common because if the ship is going to be out of commission losing valuable income, they might as well take care of the issues/regular maintenance under the water line as well as above it.

• 1 month later...

looking forward to hearing from the first people on the Whisper after the drydock to find out what's different, what's the same.

I'm sure I read somewhere about cooking course at sea and this refit was when they were installing the hardware for that ...

I read that the Shadow will be dry docked only the beginning of January, right before the 2008 world cruise. However, is there any possibility of their changing those spherical screened TV-VCR combo sets (which are obviously outdated) to the new LCD type just before the December Panama voyage? (It doesn't take any docking to do that!)

The below post is correct except that there is also a drydock scheduled in October, 2008 for the Wind.

Also, the posts relating to the Whisper are all correct - the Whisper 9 day drydock begins in Venice on October 26th and ends November 9th.

Thanks for your interest in Silversea Cruises.

Steve Tucker

Director of Sales and National Accounts, Eastern Region

Silversea Cruises

Archived