Just returned from the Silver Whisper

DR John

We returned a few days ago from our first SS cruise. We are past passengers( several cruises) of Seabourn. The cruise was Aug 24-31, Monaco to Barcelona.

At first I was a little awe struck at how large the Whisper was. It took a few days to get orientated. I then began to appreciate the beauty and the amenties of the ship. Overall, it is a similar yet different product (If that makes sense) to Seabourn. It would be difficult and unfair to label one better than the other. The differences would be more distinct depending on what is important to you.

Food and service overall, I found to be the same on both. The pool placement on SS makes more sense than Seabourn, but I am sure that will be fixed on the new ships. I have to say that I did miss the Marina day, but having a true walkout balcony was very nice.

Ironically, we were lined up in port one day beside the Legend, and it seemed that passengers from both ships were very interested to check out the competition. I saw a few crew from the Legend cruise we were on a few weeks ago ( Lucca etc)

The one very obvious difference of the two lines was that SS seemed a lot more formal. Even on casual nights, passengers were getting dressed up. Some people may like that.

The crew on Seabourn seems to be mostly European, where there was a more International presence on SS.

Basically, if I had a choice, I would still pick Seabourn( all other things being equal) to spend a week or two's vacation on. What a nice choice though.

Thank you for your comparison of Silversea vs. Seabourn. I had a voyage booked on Silversea for this November - to the Seychelles - but changed back to Seabourn's Caribbean cruise because the Seychelles trip was very expensive, especially the airfare just getting there! I'm happy to know that you had a great time on Silversea. I think their pool is far superior to the placement on Seabourn's triplets, you're right about that. I am almost wishing I'd kept the exotic trip to the Seychelles, as I see Silversea is not offering it again next year. But my pocketbook couldn't manage it.

I love "formal" lines, the dressier the better. I'm sure I'd love that about Silversea. One thing that really sells me on Seabourn, besides their stellar service of course, is, as a solo lady traveler, they offer seating at a hosted table every night of my cruise. I find that very friendly of them and enjoy meeting new people in that manner.

Thank you again for the comparison, very interesting.

Jane

DR John,

I was right there with you last Thursday in Palma de Mallorca. I didn't realize how much larger the Silver Whisper is than the Legend until I saw them "parallel parked." I almost got on the bus to the Whisper after spending a couple of hours in the city - they looked identical. Glad you had a good time on the Whisper. My Legend cruise 8/25 - 9/1 was the best one yet.

Jane (SantaAna),

You really should try out the Med on one of the triplets. Except for the scuba diving, everything else is 10x better than in the Caribbean.

johnny

Hi Johnny and Jane:

The only place I have ever been on Seabourn is the Med. We were on the Legend Monaco to Rome June 30-July 7 this year. I went on SS very biased toward Seabourn. All the faults that bothered me at the beginning of the Silver Whisper week, seemed to diminish by week's end though.

That being said, did you notice how the Legend had the "Welcome back" in Palma for the passengers(with red carpet and punch). That left a few of our fellow Whisper passengers a little miffed as to why SS does not do that. I think little touches like that tip the scale in Seabourn's favor.

Ultimately, on SS I felt like I was on a ocean liner vs being on a "privete" yacht with Seabourn. I think I prefer the latter.

In Palma we were all returning from the Seabourn Experience (tour of a manor house followed by a flamenco performance with tapas and local wine). The crew said they were surprised by the number of people who took advantage of the excursion (three bus loads). Due to the large number of participants they said it was an easy decision to have the "welcome back" party. I'll agree, it was very nice being met by smiling staff with the cool face towels and punch!

When we were leaving Palma we cruised past a mega ship, the MSC Musica I think. We saw a passenger on a balcony jokingly donning his life jacket and placing one leg over the railing in an attempt to join us! I think the Legend could have fit on the Musica's sun deck.

The rest of the week many tours were canceled due to lack of interest. Anyone looking at the on-line tour selection should have a second choice in mind for each destination to avoid disappointment. I did get to go shopping with the chef in Valencia and that experience was unforgettable ... especially the local guide who was appropriately named, "Charo."

johnny

Hi Johnny and Jane:

The only place I have ever been on Seabourn is the Med. We were on the Legend Monaco to Rome June 30-July 7 this year. I went on SS very biased toward Seabourn. All the faults that bothered me at the beginning of the Silver Whisper week, seemed to diminish by week's end though.

That being said, did you notice how the Legend had the "Welcome back" in Palma for the passengers(with red carpet and punch). That left a few of our fellow Whisper passengers a little miffed as to why SS does not do that. I think little touches like that tip the scale in Seabourn's favor.

Ultimately, on SS I felt like I was on a ocean liner vs being on a "privete" yacht with Seabourn. I think I prefer the latter.

I loved the welcome back we got from our night excursion to Ephesus! Does make one feel special and we all need that! Wonder if they can do in the Caribbean? Probably not. I have a picture but don't know how to post here. It's on snapfish I think. Counting down to the Pride!!!

We schlepped 'home' from a bus trip in Agadir, Morocco. It was late; we were tired and hungry. I remember thinking that if there was a God in heaven, we would have a lovely welcome reception. AND WE DID!

Blessings to the wonderful staff who were there to welcome us with cold towels, cold drinks and enough salmon hors d'oeuvres to help us make it to dinner (to which we were a bit late).

The first time I experienced this event was in Flamm, Norway. We were docked next to a huge ship. As we got out of our buses, there was this wonderful 'Welcome Home' event. I remember seeing the other ship's cruisers trying to crowd on their ship. They were ogling us with the green eyes of envy. My first thought was "What a wonderful advertising event!"

*lol* Johnnycruise, about the guy ready to jump ship!

The first Seabourn cruise I took, on the Legend, they did have the red carpet out, and an entire line of crewmembers, welcoming people back from one port in the Caribbean. I can't remember which one. Maybe St. Bart's? Hm, don't recall. I do recall having my heavy dive gear bag whisked away by a crewmember and instead, given a cold glass of punch and seeing a dozen smiling Seabourn faces. It just about brought me to tears, I thought it was the nicest thing.

There was a very large cruise ship docked right next to us, with one lone officer at the gangplank. I remember feeling very badly for him, and for the passengers returning to that other ship, considering the "brass band" that Seabourn put out for us. What a line, no wonder they have so many repeat passengers!

Jane

>"Maybe St. Bart's?"

We anchor in St Bart's, so perhaps it wasn't there, unless they were treading water, keeping their trays dry. <G>

They did do it in the Carribean, but it was one of the days Mother and I stayed onboard. Had I known, I would have gone off and enjoyed the goodies.

I really enjoy sitting at the little tent set up for those who tender back and forth to the ship. It's a delightful little 'Seabourn Cafe'.

Archived