Brooklyn, New York Terminal

cruisebugdave

hoping someone can help us out...my wife and I will be taking the New England cruise departing October 13...i just assumed that we would be leaving out of new york city as we have done so many times before...it was only by accident did I ifnd out that we are leaving out of Brooklyn...does anyone know where this port is? There doesnt seem to be any information on Princess website. When i called Princess, to my surprise, they werent much help - they told me to mapquest for directions. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for us..Thank you...Dave

Try http:www brooklyncruiseguide.com/cruise-terminal.html for parking and directions.

these are not good directions although they have gotten better. Use Mapquest, the entrance to the terminal is at Bowne and Imlay street in Red Hook Brooklyn NY 11231

The pier is right behind the exit of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in Brooklyn. It is well signed from the highway and you will have no problem when you are in the area.

This website will tell you all you need to know and has some cool pictures too.

http://www.inredhook.com/cruises/

Use mapquest telling a cab driver its at the corner of Imlay and Bowne street is like saying its in Hoboken. Most of them have never been to the cruise terminal and don't like to come to Brooklyn(yes I know its illegal) but the best way is to tell them its just behind the exit of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in Brooklyn and follow the signs...(take the Hamilton ave exit and make two quick lefts and be careful not to get back in the Tunnel again....

hoping someone can help us out...my wife and I will be taking the New England cruise departing October 13...i just assumed that we would be leaving out of new york city as we have done so many times before...it was only by accident did I ifnd out that we are leaving out of Brooklyn...does anyone know where this port is? There doesnt seem to be any information on Princess website. When i called Princess, to my surprise, they werent much help - they told me to mapquest for directions. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for us..Thank you...Dave

Are you traveling in the crown on OCT 13?...

so Join this thread, this is our cruise... i am also on this cruise.

Check this out...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=574872&page=13

The link below shows an aerial picture with the neighboring streets named. The entrance to the terminal is at the corner of Imlay Street and Bowne Street. The entrance roadway then takes a long S-shaped route before getting to the cruise terminal (grab the map and move it around to see the terminal itself). The teardrop-shaped area is where buses park. The passenger terminal and taxi drop-off is to the right of the bus parking area, and automobile parking is the left of the bus parking area.

Access to the cruise terminal via public transportation is very poor. There is no subway station within convenient walking distance. However, if adventurous and not carrying much luggage, then go by subway to any station in downtown Brooklyn, board the B61 southbound on Jay Street or Smith Street, and then alight on Van Brunt Street (one block east of, and parallel to, Imlay Street).

For many years Red Hook was a very rough neighborhood. In recent times more development has been building there, and as a result there exists an interesting and eclectic mix of the old along with the new urbanism. There are a few interesting things in the area, but it is not really much for walking around.

local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=40.681517~-74.010767&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1691476&encType=1

We took this cruise last September and drove from Boston. We didn't have a clue how to get to Redhook, much less to Brooklyn. The signage is good and only took one wrong exit ramp, but adjusted right away. It was a very smooth trip and, as posted, a lot of people and mapquest helped immensely.

The link below shows an aerial picture with the neighboring streets named. The entrance to the terminal is at the corner of Imlay Street and Bowne Street. The entrance roadway then takes a long S-shaped route before getting to the cruise terminal (grab the map and move it around to see the terminal itself). The teardrop-shaped area is where buses park. The passenger terminal and taxi drop-off is to the right of the bus parking area, and automobile parking is the left of the bus parking area.

Access to the cruise terminal via public transportation is very poor. There is no subway station within convenient walking distance. However, if adventurous and not carrying much luggage, then go by subway to any station in downtown Brooklyn, board the B61 southbound on Jay Street or Smith Street, and then alight on Van Brunt Street (one block east of, and parallel to, Imlay Street).

For many years Red Hook was a very rough neighborhood. In recent times more development has been building there, and as a result there exists an interesting and eclectic mix of the old along with the new urbanism. There are a few interesting things in the area, but it is not really much for walking around.

local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=40.681517~-74.010767&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1691476&encType=1

I beg to differ go to the end of Van Brunt and take a walk by the civil war stores(warehouses)... a barge museum, a park and fairway. The absolute best view of the Harbor. interesting art shops etc....and the buildings themselves are very interesting both inside and out. The wood columns holding them up are massive!

I beg to differ go to the end of Van Brunt and take a walk by the civil war stores(warehouses)... a barge museum, a park and fairway. The absolute best view of the Harbor. interesting art shops etc....and the buildings themselves are very interesting both inside and out. The wood columns holding them up are massive!

I agree completely with the interesting aspect of the neighborhood. What I had hoped to say, perhaps not well enough, is that there area is not always the most friendly to pedestrians wandering around . . . it is not Manhattan. But people who understand that this is neither the hustle and excitement of Manhattan, nor the leafy green suburbs, and for people who enjoy the urban environment that is off the beaten trail, there's all sorts of interesting places (but I think including the Fairway or Ikea as "interesting" could be debatable!).

I agree completely with the interesting aspect of the neighborhood. What I had hoped to say, perhaps not well enough, is that there area is not always the most friendly to pedestrians wandering around . . . it is not Manhattan. But people who understand that this is neither the hustle and excitement of Manhattan, nor the leafy green suburbs, and for people who enjoy the urban environment that is off the beaten trail, there's all sorts of interesting places (but I think including the Fairway or Ikea as "interesting" could be debatable!).

I walk the area a fair amount. People are as friendly as Manhattan. I don't disagree about Ikea-which besides not being open for another year- is not my idea of a walk about(although the parking lot will be on top of a civil war era graving dock which I might like to see the remnants of) but I totally disagree about Fairway besides the fact that it has great produce, the snack bar in the back is among the hidden gems of NY---with seating that is an absolute to die for view of NY Harbor---not to mention a lobster roll for $7.99- snapple for under a dollar and 1-2 dollar pastries(find THAT in Manhattan if you can)....and inside Fairway you can see how the building was built over 100 years ago- with free admission and a FREE parking lot...sounds like heaven to someone driving in NY City doesn't it?

Archived