Photos of Ships in bad storms

butterfly2

No video, and not really a "storm" exactly, but last Fall on Grandeur we hit a lot of high seas and strong headwind heading south from Baltimore.

I couldn't take a picture of the ship from afar (since I was on it!) but my album has a section with lots of views from the ship! Several of the crew said it was the worst weather they had ever sailed in.

http://albums.tpkeller.com/grandeur2006/Weather/

Theron

I really enjoyed your pics. Thanks for posting them, you got some really great shots.

I tend to agree here...perhaps an Engineer who has designed seagoing vessels can chime in...based on this picture I would expect a fair bit of damage to the various windows around the ship...likely we would have heard about this ship on the news...

The pic didn't look all that bad to me. I went through a storm on the Explorer in which the ship was really rocking and rolling. It was during the night, so I don't know what it looked like. I just know that even the upper decks were coated with salt the next morning. Maybe I'm underestimating that picture or overestimating what that storm I went through must have looked like, but I imagine it be as bad as that picture, if not worse.

Taken from the Fantasy. This is the Ecstacy...they were traveling together with no passengers to get away from the hurricanes in 2005. They could not make safe harbor in Mobile Bay, so they had to ride it out on the edge of the storm.

1252477636_Ecstasy10.jpg.0128dff3b3987da68d882ed412e85542.jpg

878997252_Ecstasy16.jpg.2630eef07884effc19e171e14d1240ca.jpg

1677771717_Ecstasy18.jpg.5b933b41d9cc9331e71f30709891c057.jpg

1253404646_Ecstasy35.jpg.735433d93c8abf70108c36b29da8548d.jpg

55307503_Ecstasy39.jpg.72b70ac6578e80e5a2f8521c4b59e1b2.jpg

I was just going to say there was a thread on the Carnival boards a while back with some wild pics of the Fantasy riding out a Hurricane at sea! You beat me to it PCR :)

The first photo of the Carnival ship has been widely debated on the Carnival boards as a fake. I am apt to believe it is fake, as I don't see how a ship could hit a wave like that and look so level on the sea. Oh well!

No video, and not really a "storm" exactly, but last Fall on Grandeur we hit a lot of high seas and strong headwind heading south from Baltimore.

I couldn't take a picture of the ship from afar (since I was on it!) but my album has a section with lots of views from the ship! Several of the crew said it was the worst weather they had ever sailed in.

http://albums.tpkeller.com/grandeur2006/Weather/

Theron

Wow! Those pictures are crazy - and thank you for sharing!

And those pictures of the Carnival ship, unbelieveable!

Call me naive, but until these photos are proven as fake I will believe them to be for real. I have been in rough seas on a merchant ship while in the Marine Corps from Diego Garcia to Saudi Arabia so I know it is not impossible for a ship to pitch and roll the way this ship is.

What looks 50 years old? The water? :D Surely not the super tanker? ;)

She's real alright according to the site? ;) Who's to know?

Here's the link for the story on her I posted under it.

"The Shipping Times carries the Wave Ruler’s story in the article:

British naval ships assist Belize after Hurricane Dean "

Oh no, I believe the picture is real, it is just the picture quality looks older to me :)

Crazy stuff though.

Oh no, I believe the picture is real, it is just the picture quality looks older to me :)

Crazy stuff though.

Sorry about that nlcentralchmps03. When I said "What looks 50 years old? The water?" :D I put a smiley. (Not a Meany one) It was meant as tongue in cheek and it was said in jest. Please, I didn't mean my post to offend you at all. :o I must watch my "tone" on here a little better. ;)

Seriously, It probably looks that way because I only right clicked on it and copied and posted it on here. On the website it is much shinier. ;)

'Fatal Storm', the story of the tragic Sydney to Hobart ocean racing (yachts) competition in 1998 was a good read, and contains a dozen or so harrowing photos.

A freak, unseasonal storm brought hurricane-strength winds, waves were six stories high, and it was one of the worst sailing disasters in recent history. Of 115 yachts only 44 reached Hobart. The heroic rescues were amazing, and not everyone made it. Maybe not a book to take along on your next cruise, but a good one. Reminded me of 'The Perfect Storm' movie, but this is real. :eek:

I heard the Carnival Triumph photo was not a fake. Search the photo & video board, there was a thread there a while back discussing it and the photo experts there said it was real. You can tell by the Ectasy/Fantansy shots that those bows were going under the same way. (Those short, stubby Carnival bows aren't made for storms.) In a storm I'd want to be on the QM2 or one of the Disney ships!

I was in the Navy in the early 1980s on the USS Enterprise CVN65 and in one of the storms we went through we were taking water over the flightdeck. All planes were on the hanger deck and no one was allowed on any outside decks. That was a wild ride.

I heard the Carnival Triumph photo was not a fake. Search the photo & video board, there was a thread there a while back discussing it and the photo experts there said it was real. You can tell by the Ectasy/Fantansy shots that those bows were going under the same way. (Those short, stubby Carnival bows aren't made for storms.) In a storm I'd want to be on the QM2 or one of the Disney ships!

I agree, I don't think that pic a fake. I do believe John Heald mentioned it in his blog a couple of months ago and confirmed it is real.

On my April 2004 crossing from Southampton to NYC on the QE2 we were warned that even though we were detouring 125 miles, we would still be encountering 60-70 foot waves for close to 12 hours. No photos, as I was not about to go out on deck. Not sure what the actual wave heights were, but two windows were lost in the foyer of the Mauretania Restuarant, and there are ocean view passenger cabins six decks below that level. An interesting ride, especially given that we were about to pass over the Titanic - 72 years and 1 week after it went down!

I remember reading on CC someplace that this was an altered picture.

I've read the same thing. This picture has been around for a while. There was also a picture taken from supposedly a helicopter during a hurricane.........right...........!!!! There was also another picture of a ship in "distress" while a helicopter is hovering with no choppy waters from the blades.

Archived