Just back today from Crown Princess - part 1

bythehex

We just got back from the Crown Princess today, and wanted to share some info. about our cruise with you guys. This was our second cruise on the Crown, we also sailed in October. This time I'll tell you the good stuff, in my next posting (part 2) I'll tell you the down sides of the cruise.

Embarkation: We left our house in Central NJ at 10:10am and got to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal at 11:15. We parked in their parking lot, which is right there, and walked back to the terminal - really, really close. Check in was a breeze. We filled in the declaration that we didn't have any illnesses, they handed us a group number for boarding, went up to the desk (no waiting), and within moments we had our cruise cards in hand and proceeded to the waiting area. We thought we would have a long wait as we were in group 22 - to our amazement they were already boarding group 21, so by 11:30 we were onboard and in our room! This was literally the fastest check in we've had in six cruises!

We booked a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck. The mini suite is great for three people. There are two TV's but only one remote control, but my son quickly discovered that the controls were on the side of the TV and had no problem using them. The couch is really comfortable, as is the sofa bed. None of us needed the egg crate mattress pads. We were greeted with champagne by our cabin steward Gina, from the Phillipines. She was wonderful the entire cruise. I know that a lot of people complain about the open balcony on the Dolphin deck, but it wasn't a problem for us. When the sun was on the other side of the ship we had plenty of shade. I used the balcony often, not just for drying our bathing suits but to sit there watching the ocean go by. Aaah, it was heaven!

Food is such a subjective thing, but for the most part we loved the food. There were a few dishes I didn't particularly care for - one pasta dish had shells with olives and capers. The olives had a strong flavor, not one I cared for at all. The other dishes I disliked were the quail and venison terrine - too gamey a taste - and the frog's legs. Thank goodness we didn't order those as our dinners, just as a dish for the table for us to try. Frog's legs DO taste like chicken, if you like your chicken slimy. I give myself credit for trying something new, and I'll leave it at that.

Also, while I may not be a coffee gourmet I do like a good cup of coffee, and I had no problem with the coffee in the buffet or the dining room. Again, this is just my opinion. If you're particular about your coffee, you might consider a coffee card, but I didn't opt for that. Our servers in the dining room were Slawtek (pronounced Slavic) and Anna, both from Poland. They were very nice.

Entertainment: We had the best entertainment I've seen on any cruise ship. We enjoyed the production shows, but also the other shows as well. My only problem was that on some days they changed the times of the shows. Be sure to check your patters daily so you don't miss something you might want to see. The day we were in San Juan they advertised a Latin show for that night. We weren't sure we wanted to see it, but afterwards were glad we did. There was a phenomenal guitar player by the name of Juan Carlos. If you get the opportunity to see him, you're in for a treat. One night there was a British couple going by the name of Kimika - they were great, too. The performed again last night, and it was a terrific way to end the cruise.

Ports: Our first port was San Juan. We've been there before and saw El Morro, so this time we went to Fort San Cristobal. It's near Pier 4, where the ship docked, and while walking there a bus driver pointed out a shortcut that took us right in front of the fort. That was nice.

Our second port was St. Maarten. So many people took the water taxi to Phillipsburg at $5.00 per person; we took the walkway which is clearly marked "Walkway to Phillipsburg", and in 6 minutes we were there. We went to the beach that was there and enjoyed it a lot, then we walked around the straw market and bought a few gifts.

Our third port was St. Thomas. We docked at Crown Bay, which is just starting to fill up with shops. We took a jitney ($3.00 per person) into Charlotte Amalie and walked around the stores. It was hot so we took an air conditioned taxi back to the ship ($4.00 pp).

Our last port was Grand Turk. The beach is right there when you walk down the dock. The water is clear and beautiful, and if you swim out a bit for snorkeling there's plenty of sea life to be observed. My son saw a lobster, and we saw many different kinds and colors of fish. My favorite are the small blue and yellow fish.

Disembarkation: Today we had to leave the ship (boo hoo). Our group was scheduled to be called at 9:45 but it was closer to 10:15. We first had breakfast up in the buffet and sat there until 9:30, then came down to deck seven. Once they called our color group (Cream 1), and we proceeded down the gangway to the terminal and the luggage area, it was easy to find out luggage. We were surprised that all our bags were together. We grabbed them and rolled out through immigration and to the parking lot. You pay before you go to the car, and you pay by credit card. There's a machine that you stick the parking lot ticket into and your credit card. It was $164. Before we knew it we were done and in our car back to reality.

- Sharon -

We just got back from the Crown Princess today, and wanted to share some info. about our cruise with you guys. This was our second cruise on the Crown, we also sailed in October. This time I'll tell you the good stuff, in my next posting (part 2) I'll tell you the down sides of the cruise.

Embarkation: We left our house in Central NJ at 10:10am and got to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal at 11:15. We parked in their parking lot, which is right there, and walked back to the terminal - really, really close. Check in was a breeze. We filled in the declaration that we didn't have any illnesses, they handed us a group number for boarding, went up to the desk (no waiting), and within moments we had our cruise cards in hand and proceeded to the waiting area. We thought we would have a long wait as we were in group 22 - to our amazement they were already boarding group 21, so by 11:30 we were onboard and in our room! This was literally the fastest check in we've had in six cruises!

We booked a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck. The mini suite is great for three people. There are two TV's but only one remote control, but my son quickly discovered that the controls were on the side of the TV and had no problem using them. The couch is really comfortable, as is the sofa bed. None of us needed the egg crate mattress pads. We were greeted with champagne by our cabin steward Gina, from the Phillipines. She was wonderful the entire cruise. I know that a lot of people complain about the open balcony on the Dolphin deck, but it wasn't a problem for us. When the sun was on the other side of the ship we had plenty of shade. I used the balcony often, not just for drying our bathing suits but to sit there watching the ocean go by. Aaah, it was heaven!

Food is such a subjective thing, but for the most part we loved the food. There were a few dishes I didn't particularly care for - one pasta dish had shells with olives and capers. The olives had a strong flavor, not one I cared for at all. The other dishes I disliked were the quail and venison terrine - too gamey a taste - and the frog's legs. Thank goodness we didn't order those as our dinners, just as a dish for the table for us to try. Frog's legs DO taste like chicken, if you like your chicken slimy. I give myself credit for trying something new, and I'll leave it at that.

Also, while I may not be a coffee gourmet I do like a good cup of coffee, and I had no problem with the coffee in the buffet or the dining room. Again, this is just my opinion. If you're particular about your coffee, you might consider a coffee card, but I didn't opt for that. Our servers in the dining room were Slawtek (pronounced Slavic) and Anna, both from Poland. They were very nice.

Entertainment: We had the best entertainment I've seen on any cruise ship. We enjoyed the production shows, but also the other shows as well. My only problem was that on some days they changed the times of the shows. Be sure to check your patters daily so you don't miss something you might want to see. The day we were in San Juan they advertised a Latin show for that night. We weren't sure we wanted to see it, but afterwards were glad we did. There was a phenomenal guitar player by the name of Juan Carlos. If you get the opportunity to see him, you're in for a treat. One night there was a British couple going by the name of Kimika - they were great, too. The performed again last night, and it was a terrific way to end the cruise.

Ports: Our first port was San Juan. We've been there before and saw El Morro, so this time we went to Fort San Cristobal. It's near Pier 4, where the ship docked, and while walking there a bus driver pointed out a shortcut that took us right in front of the fort. That was nice.

Our second port was St. Maarten. So many people took the water taxi to Phillipsburg at $5.00 per person; we took the walkway which is clearly marked "Walkway to Phillipsburg", and in 6 minutes we were there. We went to the beach that was there and enjoyed it a lot, then we walked around the straw market and bought a few gifts.

Our third port was St. Thomas. We docked at Crown Bay, which is just starting to fill up with shops. We took a jitney ($3.00 per person) into Charlotte Amalie and walked around the stores. It was hot so we took an air conditioned taxi back to the ship ($4.00 pp).

Our last port was Grand Turk. The beach is right there when you walk down the dock. The water is clear and beautiful, and if you swim out a bit for snorkeling there's plenty of sea life to be observed. My son saw a lobster, and we saw many different kinds and colors of fish. My favorite are the small blue and yellow fish.

Disembarkation: Today we had to leave the ship (boo hoo). Our group was scheduled to be called at 9:45 but it was closer to 10:15. We first had breakfast up in the buffet and sat there until 9:30, then came down to deck seven. Once they called our color group (Cream 1), and we proceeded down the gangway to the terminal and the luggage area, it was easy to find out luggage. We were surprised that all our bags were together. We grabbed them and rolled out through immigration and to the parking lot. You pay before you go to the car, and you pay by credit card. There's a machine that you stick the parking lot ticket into and your credit card. It was $164. Before we knew it we were done and in our car back to reality.

- Sharon -

We sailed on the Crown on 8/19...had a mini suite on the Dolphin deck...Gina was excellent!!! Never knew she was around and the room was always made up and clean...

- Sharon -

You stated that the walk into town in St Martin was only about 6 minutes....others on a different thread state that its closer to 1/2 hour and part of the walk is through a not so pleasent industrial area....maybe they mean that far to the CENTER of town?? Did you have any problems with the walk?

Peggy

You stated that the walk into town in St Martin was only about 6 minutes....others on a different thread state that its closer to 1/2 hour and part of the walk is through a not so pleasent industrial area....maybe they mean that far to the CENTER of town?? Did you have any problems with the walk?

Peggy

I'd heard people say that too, but I timed it. It took us six minutes to walk from the ship to the beach in Phillipsburg. I don't know how far down they walked, but we walked close to where the water taxi lets people out in town. The walkway is paved and there's a guardrail to protect you from traffic. There is an area right near the port that's under construction, but that's the only "industrial" area I saw. To our right, walking towards town, were hills with vegetation, including lots of cactus. I hate to walk, but if I didn't mind it then it couldn't have been TOO bad! LOL!

For the person who asked, we had traditional late dining, which we love. I love having the same servers at the same time each night. After the first night they know our names and we don't have to ask for iced tea, steak sauce, whatever.

Sharon

Archived