What is the best thing to do in Cozumel?

Nicki61

Our ship was rerouted to Cozumel too. We got a taxicab once we got off the ship and went to Paradise beach. The beach chairs are free, they just want you to purchase drinks and/or food. They have snorkeling and a water trampoline, if you do that, the wristband is $9 for the day. We loved it, other places charge you to rent beach chairs and use their facilities, Paradise beach doesn't.

Rent a car and drive the coastline, stop at the little bars and drink beer and mingle with the locals. We did it last year and are doing it again come Monday!! (WOOHOO!!) :D We had the best time ever and it was so relaxing and interesting visiting with the people. I highly recommend it. Have fun!

Rent a car and drive the coastline, stop at the little bars and drink beer and mingle with the locals. We did it last year and are doing it again come Monday!! (WOOHOO!!) :D We had the best time ever and it was so relaxing and interesting visiting with the people. I highly recommend it. Have fun!

One tip - always get the full insurance with NO deductible if you rent a vehicle!!

We love Cozumel. Very tourist friendly and a wonderful spot to relax.

If you want to do the ruins...the best one requires most of your time in port. I would only do this one through the ship since it requires leaving the Island

(45 minute ferry ride there and 45 minute ferry ride back) We have been to Cozumel 4 times since October and twice that I know of, that tour was late returning to the ship. Of course the ship waited because it was a ship tour.

So if you are leaving the island...only do it on a ship's excursion.

Chankanaab Park has swimming with the dolphins that is a very popular thing to do.

We always (and I do mean always) start our day at Paradise Beach. I have my breakfast of champions (cheese nachoes and a frozen margarita) and our boys entertain themselves on the water toys for a few hours. Then we return to the ship. The boys stay on the ship (they are 16 and 19) while we hit a few bars and stores before heading back onboard the ship.

The only thing I don't recommend is the zipline. I have not done it there, but have read of complaints just because most of the "height" is man made. Hubby and oldest son did it in Puerto Vallarta and it was wonderful.

The wonderful thing about Cozumel is that there is something for everyone.

Enjoy!!

My daughter and I just returned. I had been to Cozumel many times, but not for many years and wanted to show her just as much as I could. However, due to the long absence - I did not want to just "wing it" We found a guy on the internet - Adrian Romero - to act as our guide. He's fourth generation, US educated, owns a restaurant (Especias) and a kiteboarding shop. He is fabulous. He loves the island, knows it like the back of his hand and will show you things as only one that lives there can. We went to the museum, the ruins, the far side of the island, snorkeling - you name it. We had cruised with a group of 40, and by far we had the best experience of anyone. I'd highly recommend him.

I highly agree with the car rental suggestion. Make it an open air Jeep. You will have the ultimate Carribean experience just driving around the island and stopping at the little shops, restaurants and seeing the different beach clubs. You can not possibly get lost. Its a strait shot and theres only one road around the island (at least thats all I saw). The view is awesome. The water is almost always in view. Don't forget you Bob Marley CD. Ther was a CD player in our Jeep. We did alot of great things on our Western Cruise, but our day on Cozamel really stands out. Also, alot of people may disagree with me, but I did not enjoy the snorkeling there. We stopped at one of the beach clubs and took a 2-3 hour excursion with a really nice outfit, but the water was very, very, very,deep and it just was not the kind of snorkeling I enjoy. My DH didn't like it either. Have a great trip!

We went to the beach & then went shopping. It's a great place to do both. DH & I LOVED the atmosphere & the people. Lots of drink specials around & tons to see... Even if you just want to chill & people-watch, it's a great time. We are looking into our next cruise hoping for another stop in Cozumel!

Melissmass - would you please give more specifics about the snorkeling in cozumel. what exactly did u not like about it? we are going in 3 wks and are undecided about snorkeling. We have only snorkeled once before in St Thomas and we didnt see any fish! so we really are new to snorkeling. any insight would be appreciated. thanks...

Nicki, thats a very broad question you are doing as there are many things to do in the island for many different people preffences and also ages. If you like to do a relaxed thing do as they do on the renting a jeep. Its safe and there is no way you will get lost.

You can check the Island museum, thats fun and fast.

You can check Discover Mexico park, if you have 90minutes and really want to see what our country its about you should check that out.

Bars and restaurants http://cometocozumel.com/english/restaurants.asp

there are dolphin encounters, horse back riding, ATV rides,

Check Punta Sur National park

Mayan Ruins

Beaches like Paradise beach

Wow there is a lot!!! If you tell me what you like to do: Outdoors indoors, sun, shade, I might give you a more detail suggestion

ebbaday, as for the snorkeling I assume that they were took to a very deep place to snorkel and did not have a chance to check out the beauty of it. Or may be that day the visibility was bad or may be the operation was not that great. I wonder as well as the reef are great in the island

you guys have fun and thanks for keep coming to Cozumel

Adrian

AdrianCZM - Thank you for all your information. That is exactly why I asked such a question. I wanted everyone's view.

We are outside people, I think renting a jeep will be the most fun. Driving and discovering the island. Eatting at the local joints and from what I have read. Head to Bohio for the day. Unless of course you have a better place to send us.

We don't like all the touristy stuff. And don't like it to be too crowded.

I really think you for your information.

OK, OK. I just read that the Bohio is not in Cozumel. I was reading my notes and was like "oh crap" they are going to think I am an idiot!

So, I think the plan is still to rent a scooter or jeep. Now I guess I need to know where to go... and no smarty pants out there either!

No Scooter, get a jeep better, you will find them at 65-85 depending where you get them. If you look on line you will get a good deal for sure with the major rentals that are in the island.

Go to the museum as early as you can and have breakfast there, its very nice. Then hit the Ruins of San Gervasio on your way to the east.

At the east try a drink at Mezcalitos, then one at Señor Iguanas, then COCONUTS for lunch and then EL Galeon for drinks and beach, then go to Punta Sur National park and fininsh at the Paradise Beach for a couple more drinks and relaxation at the beach and if you have some time still check out Discover Mexico park

I really recomend you to buy a map of the island at http://www.cancunmap.com

Adrian

As I search, I really want to know what is the best thing to do in Cozumel?

Beber cerveza mexicana con limon en la playa... y mirar la puesta del sol con mi esposa bonita!

(I think I said "to drink mexican beer with lime on the beach... and to watch the sunset with my beautiful wife)

ebbaday,

my opinion about snorkeling in Coz is based on one excursion, so there may be better snorkeling elsewhere on the island. Also remember that there was a hurricane there a few years ago and it really destoyed alot of the corral. WE went with a company at one of the beaches and we had excellent service. In fact we were the only people on the trip because it was early. The tour guide got in the water with us and stayed in the whole time. We were in the water for a very long time (too long) drifting with the current. The boat just kind of followed behind us. The water was extremely deep. You could see the bottom, but it was so far down you couldnt really "see" anything. There were fish because the guide put out some kind of fish food, but these were not the pretty colorful fish you expect to see in the Carribean. All in all we were disapointed with the trip. We also tried snorkeling from shore, but there was nothing to see where we were. I hope you find a great snorkeling experience!

My daughter and I just returned. I had been to Cozumel many times... We found a guy on the internet - Adrian Romero - to act as our guide. QUOTE]

Could you please provide me with his web-site or e-mail to contact him. (sorry if this info is provided in a post already - should be out the door to work as we speak so no time to look). Thanks, Lynne

Archived