Hawaii Snorkeling - Best fo Beginner?

AngusKY

Hi All,

My fiancee and I are travelling on the Pride of Aloha to Hawaii for honeyoon, and neither of us have snorkeled. We'll be hiring cars at the ports on the islands, and I had a few questions:

1. What are the best places for snorkeling on the Hawaiian islands for beginners? The islands intersting us are Oahu, Maui, Kauai and the Big Island.

2. What places are safe for beginners. In fact, and safety advice in general for snorkeling in Hawaii? I'd assume only life-guarded beaches, but any other advice?

3. We are thinking of hiring gear from Snorkel Bob's...is it safe enough to do that if you go to well used areas, and not go on paid tours?

I appreciate any answers you can give...

Angus

There are some great places to snorkel in Oahu. Hanuama Bay is supposed to be one, but we did not get to experience it.

The biggest problem in Oahu around Wakiki is theft. You basically can't leave anything anywhere unguarded. Popping locks on rental cars is big business there. From the beach parking lots to the Home Depot, thieves can spot a rental car and pop the trunk in less time than using the key.

On the beach, the same problem exists. Don't leave your stuff unattended, even your towels or shoes. They might just disappear. Puts a damper on the whole trip.

My recommendation is to stick with fellow passengers on a ship excursion or go with a group that will take turns watching stuff left on the beach. Then you can probably enjoy Hanuama Bay or some of the other spots. I have heard from friends that the reef off the Marine Center on Wakiki near the Diamond Head end is really good.

If you do manage to go to Hanauma Bay, you have to go outside the inner reef to really see some neat stuff. The inner reef is almost sterile due to the number of people. The problem with the outer reef is that its far away from "your stuff" on the beach.

Stick with a group on Oahu to snorkle or hold off and wait for the other islands.

Go to Black Rock to snorkel in Maui. It is right below the Sheraton Hotel in Kaanapali and parking in the area is free. Great snorkeling, great beach, and lots of places to eat if you walk up the boardwalk to Whaler's Village.

If you want a really great snorkeling excursion in Maui, go to Molokini crater. Great boat ride with views of 3 islands and in Dec-May you will often see whales. The snorkeling is easy and there's usually a wide variety of fish. Unfortunately, this excursion is usually not cheap, but usually worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree about Hanauma Bay not being that great, but it's not bad for a first timer. (In fact, it was my first. DH, who was already a good snorkeler, was patient with my learning curve. Once you "get" how to snorkel, you will love doing it.) Lifeguards, protected water close in, etc. But you do have to watch the coral and go out further for good "stuff." You can, however, rent a "locker" (bin) that has a pin-on key. DH pinned it in inside pocket of trunks. That way no worry about leaving stuff on the beach. I figured if they really wanted my cheapy towels, oh well, I'll just drip dry. You can also buy a small water safe. We love ours. The safe strap goes around my suit strap and then tucks in the lower back part of my suit (around the small of my back). I don't even feel it. Small one holds ship cards, CC, DLs, money; larger one holds all that plus car key, lip balm, small mask defogger bottle. We love them.

Black Rock is good with easy entry from a nice beach. You also can't go wrong with a nice trip out to Molokini. These boats have lifeguards in the water and will help beginners get going. You can also rest on the boat if you get tired. And yes you may be treated to amazing whale shows on the ride out or back if it's the season. We were last trip. All I can say is: awe inspiring.

I've heard a trip to Kealakekua bay on the Big Island is great. That's next on our list.

I'd recommend Kapalua Bay on Maui (northwest) for some simple snorkeling. If you are comfortable making a wavy beach entry, you can then swim out for some okay, easy snorkeling. The beach is great too. I've heard that the Kama'ole beaches (Kam I, II, and III) can be good for beginners. That's Maui in the Kihei area.

For first timers, going on organized trips is not a bad idea. You can see some wonderful sights (it will spoil you for sure) and know that you will be safer with lifeguards and a group. As you get braver, you can try some of the other wonderful spots.

As for safety, the basics: respect the ocean, in an "argument," it will win; don't snorkel (or swim) near the mouth of a fresh water inlet (murky water and sharks); keep an eye out for where you are--it's easy to drift in the current while you are looking down; snorkel with a buddy (at least); do not touch the coral, you will kill it and it can hurt you; SUNSCREEN--all over plus top of hands, feet (unless in booties), neck, ears, scalp spray--you DO NOT want a Hawaiian sunburn. I know there's more, but those are the basics that come to mind.

Snorkel Bob's is a good idea for cruisers since you can rent on one island and return at any other island. The weekly rates are okay. They will want to rent you the "good" stuff. IMO, it's worth it to have a rental mask that fits pretty well and a dry snorkel (beginners have enough to deal with without constant snorkel clearing). If you need vision correction, they have rental masks in standard diopters for a bit more. Even if you take paid shore excursions or snorkel trips, I'd rent for the week from SB, the gear tends to be somewhat better and cleaner. Before we bought our own gear, we rented from them a couple of times and had no complaints.

Yes indeed, I'm now dying to go for a snorkel!

Aloha,

beachchick

Hanauma Bay is where I first learned to snorkel so I am prejudiced in favor of it. Lots of fish and it has mostly calm water. Never had any problem with theft there - probably because you have to pay to enter the area. In my opinion, this is a great beach to learn at.

Maui Black Rock - very good for fish and turtles but the wave action there can be bigger. The closer you get to the rock, the greater the undertow. Be careful about not going out past the point as the undertow can be very hard to fight. I know from experience!

there are no lifeguards (or very few) in Hawaii. On the Big Island I recommend going to the Mauna Lani, go to the beach, turn left and walk to the beach club. The snorkeling is excellent and very easy. No one checks if you are a hotel guest. the water is calm, clear and there are tons of fish, but no rentals.

On Big Island the best place for a beginner would be Kahaluu Beach Park in Kona. There's a life guard and you'll usually see a few turtles in shalow. There's bathroom and tables also. It's very popular with locals. As it's a lagoon it's very safe and no waves. Do not snorkel in Mona Lai if you aren't experienced. It's good if quiet, but you need to deal with waves getting in, and have to go out some to where it's clear. Not recommended if it's your first time.

Kealakekua Bay is the best spot in Kona, but you need to take a boat, Fairwind I think it's called. That's the only one who has the license to go there. It's a marin park and the best coral around. It's quite and visibility is usually good. Crew can teach you how to snorkel. Your ship should have an excursion there. Otherwise they have two, one early and the afternoon one. Take the morning if you can make it. Morning always is a better time to snorkel because water is calmer.

In Maui, KAM2 in Kihei is good for a beginner, but it really depends on the time of the year. In general in Hawaii in summer go north shore and south in winter. Snorkel Bob will give you the map of all the snorkeling spots. He has a guide book, too.

• 1 month later...

I have snorkeled many times in Maui and it is amazing. Here is a great website with maps that illistrate where the good snorkelling is. http://adigitaldreamer.com/snorkel/maps.htm

My personal favorite is Kapalua Bay, right off the Kapalua Bay Hotel property. It is a very protected bay, and I have seen amazing things there. Huge puffers, turtles, eels, and much more. :rolleyes:

The catamaran trips that leave out of Lahania, Wailea, and Kaanapali Beach are great too. Our boat trip visited a bay in Lanai, connected to the Manele Bay Hotel property (Amazing).

Best wishes and congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

I did both Hanauma Bay and Kona at Capt Cook's Monument.

Capt Cook's Monument was like being in a pool its so sheltered.

Hanauma Bay was just a bit rougher, but nothing an average swimmer can't deal with. And most of it is so shallow, you can stand between the coral if need be.

My website has video and stills from both locations on the Pride of Aloha cruise. Plenty to see but some things just take time to find in these locations.

• 1 month later...

I am a first time snorkeler and we were in Maui & Oahu this summer. I strongly recommend Honolua Bay, north of Lahaina. It is a Marine reserve so the fish are abundant and completely unafraid. They were absolutely amazing. My seven year old snorkeled there, as did my 60 year old + mother & in-laws. This was a first time for all of them and we had no problems. The little trail from the parking area to the water is gorgeous. Honolua Bay is a protected cove so there was not a lot of wave action. We saw turtles, eels, and squid / octopus (I don't know the difference) in addition to numerous varieties of fish. It was absolutely incredible.

We also snorkeled in Ollawalu (spelling?) just south of Lahaina and that was pretty nice too. But Honolua was better.

We snorkeled at Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve and it was a great experience. Take the bus because parking is horrible and get there early, early as it reaches maximum capacity very quickly. Our rental car was broken into while we were swimming - another reason to utilize public transportation.

Our friends - also first time snorkelers - raved about Sharks Cove on Oahu's North Shore. They said it was as good or better than Hanauma Bay. The north shore beaches are gorgeous!

Keep in mind that we were there in the summer. Some areas are not safe swimming beaches in the winter so be sure to ask at a local dive shop.

Here's a web site: http://www.snorkeling-hawaii-insiders-guide.com/

Have a great trip!

I was a first time snorkeler until last Thursday. I booked Captain Zodiac's Raft Snorkeling trip and it was great. We rode a large rubber raft 12 miles along the coast to the cove where Captain Cook's monument is. The snorkeling was OK, but for those who stayed in the water the longest, it was great, because a school of dolphins came into the cove and were swimming under our raft, so some got a great view. The trip back to the pier was exciting. The water was getting rough so the ride was rough. I highly recommend this for anyone up to an advernture and new to snorkeling. You access the water from the raft--no beach, so you need to be comfortable with that.

Bonnie

• 1 month later...

I went to Oahu for 2 weeks this time last year and went snorkeling for the first time at Hanauma Bay....it was AWESOME! All you need to take is your swim suit and towels. I left backpack with money etc. on the beach with towels and just kept an eye on them and we didn't have any problems. Don't leave anything in your rental car though as I hear that is asking for trouble. Enjoy!!!!

For anyone going to Hawaii I would highly recommend the books in the "Maui Revealed", "Ultimate Kaui" ... series by Wizard Pubs (wizardpub.com). They give lots of tips on things to see, where the snorkeling is best, where to buy gas or shop - written by locals rather than a big company. You can get these books in libraries, but it is really interesting to see how many folks stop at a particular telephone pole to get to a cove that isn't advertised anywhere. Lots of links to vendors they deal with but no advertising.

• 3 weeks later...
For anyone going to Hawaii I would highly recommend the books in the "Maui Revealed", "Ultimate Kaui" ... series by Wizard Pubs (wizardpub.com). They give lots of tips on things to see, where the snorkeling is best, where to buy gas or shop - written by locals rather than a big company. You can get these books in libraries, but it is really interesting to see how many folks stop at a particular telephone pole to get to a cove that isn't advertised anywhere. Lots of links to vendors they deal with but no advertising.

Yes! Those are great guide books! A joy to use. I have used them for 5 years on the Big Island, Kauai, and Oahu. The recomendations and opinions are pretty much 95% accurate. Unlike most guide books, that try to be diplomatic, these books outright tell you if something is great or not worth bothering with. Makes touring much easier. Maps in book are so good, that no folding maps are needed. Snorkeling, beaches, and scuba are among the topics covered. Also great to read in anticipation of your trip. I have purchased several as "bon Voyage" gifts to friends going to the Islands. It saved a lot of talking and note writing on my part, as I had discovered most of my favorite places by reading those books! Available in most any store that carries Hawaii Guide books.

Archived