Sailing races in St. Thomas vs. St. Maarten

cnvh

Anyone have experiences with the sailboat/yacht race in St. Thomas vs. the one in St. Maarten?

Hubby and I booked the "Round the World Ocean Sailboat Race" in St. Thomas, mainly because the time suited us better (early morning rather than afternoon). But there's also the America's Cup Regatta in St. Maarten, which I've been able to find more reviews on-- and I've hardly found anything about the Round-the-World race.

Any personal experiences? I'm posting here rather than in the "Ports" forums only because they're both HAL excursions and they're in different ports...

I did it in St. Thomas and had the greatest time! :D (When I asked the shore excursion office about it they recommended the St. Thomas one instead of St. Maarten for me because I could sit on those boats.)

You're divided into two teams on multi-million dollar sailboats. You compete against the other boat, doing the various tasks associated with sailboat racing. (You're not required to work, though). All of this is under the supervision and instruction of people who actually know what they're doing.

After the race is over you get to handle the wheel! It's so much fun!

Oh, yeah. There's punch or soda after, too.

I had trouble climbing aboard, and manuvering around the boat, but the real sailors were right there to help out. I wouldn't recommend this for someone who is severely disabled, but some mobility problems shouldn't prevent enjoying this excursion.

Did you book the St Thomas one through the ship...

Ruth & Jim

Yes, it was a HAL shore excursion when I was on the Noordam the first time---March '06.

The ship was docked at Crown Bay, and the sailboats were docked a short walk away. It was so much fun I would do it again it I ever got back there. And my team didn't even win!

Archived