HMC via HAL: Kayaking on your own

O2B@C

I did a search of this forum to try to find out whether - and where - you can kayak on your own at HMC (arriving on a HAL ship). I did see that for Carnival pax, kayak rentals are available for $25/hr for a one-person kayak.

So my questions for people who have been to HMC via HAL are:

1. Can you just rent a kayak without booking a shore excursion, and if so, what is the price for a one-person kayak for an hour? [Oops - after I posted this I did see something saying HAL charges the same as Carnival - is that still true?]

2. Can you use them only in the lagoon, or only in the swimming area, or both?

3. Where is the rental booth, or is there more than one?

4. Can you charge the rental to your ship account?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

• 1 month later...

Now that it is finally near the time for HAL ships to start returning to HMC, I thought I'd bump up this question. Returning HAL cruisers, please respond if you get a chance -thanks! And have a GREAT time!

If you want to kayak in the lagoon, I don't think they allow it. I think it has to be in their "tour." But you may be able to take the kayaks out in the lagoon. As to charging to your account, I think that is the only way they charge things.

If you want to kayak in the lagoon, I don't think they allow it. ... But you may be able to take the kayaks out in the lagoon....

Kathy, thanks, but I'm a little confused:confused: by the above (love the avatar, though!). You seem to be saying the opposite thing in the second sentence from the first. Could you (or someone) please clarify? Thanks.

Sorry, I typed that while on pain-killers from a root canal. :p I do not think you can take the kayaks into the NATURE lagoon without a tour. You may be able to take the kayaks out into the bay that fronts the beach. But I could be wrong. (Are you on our Topless cruise?)

Root canal - OUCH! :( Hope you're feeling better. :) Thanks for the clarification. I did get the impression, from what I've read, that you're right - if you're on your own you have to stick to the area in front of the main beach - but I was hoping maybe that will turn out not to be true - I would so love to explore that lagoon, but on my own, not with a tour. Oh well - I can understand why they'd want to keep tabs on folks back there.

Not on your topless cruise - would be happy to join you (not bashful here ;) !), but it doesn't coincide with my anniversary, so we're going a bit earlier than you. Have fun! :D

We were in HMC in September and rented a kayak on our own. I believe it was around $45/hour. We were able to go out in the lagoon.

Thanks for the info! :) That's encouraging, about the lagoon. Was the $45 for a two-person kayak? I'd be wanting a single - do you happen to recall what the price was for that?

Archived