QE2 "Breaks Down"

Cruachan

The BBC News site is currently reporting that "QE2 has broken down off the coast of Croatia with a mechanical fault". They aren't giving any further details at present but it will no doubt be interesting to see how this story develops.

Jimmy

Thanks for posting the link. I didn't see the story on BBC news when I checked earlier today.

This explains why she is not in Trieste, Italy. I presume that they will skip this port and perhaps Malta and Gibraltar to make it back to Southampton, assuming they can "fix" the problem.

It would be nice if someone posted from the ship.

Alan

I think the worry has to be that it might turn out to be "uneconomical" to fix the problem. This sort of thing has happened before to ships that were close to the end of their service. I'm assuming that the problem must be beyond the capacity of the ship's own engineering department to fix and is sufficiently major for Cunard to bother to issue a news release. Let's hope that it turns out to be something that can befixed without too much trouble or there are going to be a lot of very disappointed people out there.

Jimmy

the earlier link now says she is due to sail to Trieste this afternoon.

That engineer flew fast didn't he:D

Guess they will leave out one of the 'lesser' ports (I would be pretty upset not to visit Venice if I were on the cruise! A nightmare for the shore excursion office though (and those who had private excursions booked of course!)

Karen

From the webcam it looks as though she's sailing from Dubrovnik now, so maybe everything's fixed.

Jimmy,

Let's hope that this is a 'proper' fix and not a 'let's-limp-back-to-Southampton-and-then-work-on-it ' kind of a fix! After the 40th Anniversary Cruise comes our Autumn Colours trip - I would not want to miss that.

Gavin

who is murmuring a quiet prayer of hope!

We did notice her webcam was out. The breakdown is obviously why! Fingers crossed for her being fixed and servicable in a weeks time! Sod all of the remaing ports, get her back to Southampton and properly fixed for her big event!

Lexx

Joking. ish.;) :D

We did notice her webcam was out. The breakdown is obviously why! Fingers crossed for her being fixed and servicable in a weeks time! Sod all of the remaing ports, get her back to Southampton and properly fixed for her big event!

Lexx

Joking. ish.;) :D

Oh! So that's why they laid over a night in Dubrovnik.

They were flying in a new lens~!

Karie,

who is so grateful they fixed the webcam! <LOL>

Thanks for posting the link. I didn't see the story on BBC news when I checked earlier today..

It would be nice if someone posted from the ship.

Alan

I have a friend on her right now..... may hear.... but she really does not do much with email, much to my frustration, I doubt that it will be before she gets back to London.

Susan

Don't know if this is linked with the current difficulties, but we had a problem during our cruise in August. The alarm went off in the early hours of the first night, followed by the crew heading off somewhere wearing lifejackets. This was followed some time later by an announcement to all cabins that there had been a problem with an engine, but all was now well. Rumour had it the next day that there had been an engine fire; no idea how factual that was.

Mary

According to "Mrs Noahs" (she's from another board) blog, it was a problem with the "streeing gear" & they knew at on Friday they weren't going anywhere.

Gibraltar is being dropped, and they are getting $300

The tours in Trieste were cancelled.

Karen

BBC have just said a spare part is on its way with the engineer

Karen

That's not a very nice way to refer to the assistant engineer.

Clearly the imnplications of her destiny as a floating motel have just hit the poor old dear. At her age, a breakdown is a commom enough consequence of emotional trauma. Take my first wife.

Please, please take my first wife.

Gibraltar is being dropped,

Oh no!

Just think... all those cigs and all that booze that won't find it's way to England.

BTW, the QE2 provisions master who was arrested for smuggling a massive amount of cigarettes into the UK on QE2 has been sentenced to a nine month jail term.

Oh no!

Just think... all those cigs and all that booze that won't find it's way to England.

BTW, the QE2 provisions master who was arrested for smuggling a massive amount of cigarettes into the UK on QE2 has been sentenced to a nine month jail term.

Does he get to smoke in jail? <LOL>

Does he get to smoke in jail? <LOL>

He does if he goes to jail in England. Curiously jails are exempt from the smoking ban.

Incidentally, I watched the arrival in Trieste on the webcam this morning and there seemed to be the usual collection of tour buses waiting for the ship so maybe they managed to rearrange everything for today.

Jimmy

I just got email from a friend whose boyfriend used to work on the Sun Deck of the QE2. Her quote says:

Did you know our QE2 was floating around for a while

outside Dubrovnik yesterday -- they sent for the MAN

man (they used to have one aboard. And, no, I do not

know what the MAN man is -- shall ask)) - but I do not

know how it was resolved....but by twilight there she

was under way again....

Perhaps Roger will know more when he returns from England - does anyone know what a MAN man is - and in this instance, I'm asking for a legit definition (or whatever HappyScot chooses to make of it ;))

Archived