help

entik

HELP we just found out that we will be going to progresso instead of costa maya on carnival holiday on sept 15. I have been reading that there is lots of stuff to do but am a little confused on where everything is. How long does it take to do the ruins? How much does it cost to ride the buses, and how long to get everywhere? Heard that the flea market has great shopping do we need cash only? Where is the safest place to eat? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carnival has not even told us yet that we are going (not happy about that). We are leaving in just a week so any help I can get would be great. Thanks for the help:p

HELP we just found out that we will be going to progresso instead of costa maya on carnival holiday on sept 15. I have been reading that there is lots of stuff to do but am a little confused on where everything is. How long does it take to do the ruins? How much does it cost to ride the buses, and how long to get everywhere? Heard that the flea market has great shopping do we need cash only? Where is the safest place to eat? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carnival has not even told us yet that we are going (not happy about that). We are leaving in just a week so any help I can get would be great. Thanks for the help:p

Don't fret, people, you are in luck. There is plenty to do here. In fact I will take Progeso over CM anyday. I know that I will get flamed over this but I don't care. It is the truth.

If you want to see ruins, there are several to choose from. You have Dzibalchaltun that is close and takes about 4 hours. Uxmal which is really nice and large according to my friend Hdawson, and the mother of ruins, Chichan Itza. CI is about a 2 hour drive and I think that the complete tour is around 7 hours.

You can take a tour to Reef Yucatan Resort for around $30 and have access to a beach, huge pool, lots of kiddie toys, volleyball and open bar. They also have a short ruins tour (Xcambo) and a trip to see flamingos that was included in the tour.

You can book most of these tours at the flea market. You will be better off with cash in the Mercado in town, and if you get off the beaten path several blocks away from the main street (Malecon) you can find some real bargains, but you may need pesos there. We hit one shop that wouldn't take US so we had to find an exchange. There is one in the market behind the fish market. (Just follow your nose).;)

There are several good places to eat on the Malecon. Le Saint Bonnet is one of my favorites. The fish market is behind the resturant so when you order they go out back and get it fresh. Magnifico!! There are some venders in the market that serve some local dishes. I saw some locals eating in one small shop and it looked so good that I had to try it. I don't remember what they called it, but I will get more on the next trip.

If you need more info, check some of the older post. Hdawson has more info than you can handle and you need to check some of his pictures. Merida is absolutely fasinating.

All the questions you ask are answered in these Progresso threads. So pull up a notepad, a beverage of your choice, put on some music that makes you feel good, and start reading. :rolleyes:

Break it up into chunks -- an hour or two at a time. (If you have the self control to pull yourself away, lol) There's lots of great information here at your fingertips.

Happy reading, and have a great cruise! :)

Does the Reef Yucatan include any food in the $30 price or is the a restaurant? Thanks! Also, how do you book this. I do not see that you can do it on their site.

I don't think that food was included but there was food there. I had a major pigout in town. We booked with Out of Progreso at the flea market in town. They offer several different tours.

Archived