Yukon Jeep tour in Skagway

paroe

Has anyone experienced the Yukon Jeep tour in Skagway? Can you tell me about your experience and do you think that a collapsible wheel chair could fit somewhere in the jeep? Thanks!

Just returned from a B2B and my husband did the jeep tour on the retun part. He took it because the cruise before someone had spotted a bear , during that part of the trip we had taken the bus tour. The jeeps do not go up that far and for the most part follow the same road as the bus. In his opinion he liked the bus better since it went all the way to Emerald lake with many photo stops along the way and also included lunch.

Your best bet in Skagway is to rent a car from Avis for the day and drive to Emerald Lake (or further even). It is a lot cheaper (approx $65) and you will not be with the crowds. Leave early and drive straight to Carcross and you will have the town all to yourself before the buses (and I do mean buses and buses and buses) get there. Go to the Cinnamon Cache (just past the Littlest desert in the world, on the right hand side of the road) for an excellent latte and snack/sandwich.
Definitely see Emerald Lake.

gregbarbra - the tour didn't go up the mountain until a couple of days ago because there was a bit of a washout. I've been up several times, but if there's any piece of road that actually requires 4-wheel-drive they don't go (for insurance reasons, I imagine, as even some of their "guides" have no 4x4 experience). A Cat has now been up the road and smoothed it out.

Murray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Budget Queen:
Make your car reservations NOW. Avis is the only major rental with independents PB Cruisers and Sourdough.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are absolutely right. I booked with Avis in early April for our May 15 cruise. When I checked back on May 1st (curious to see if rates had dropped) every vehicle they had was rented! And May is not the peak month for Skagway by any means

Carnival Spirit 12/10/03
Coral Princess 5/15/04

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Paroe
The Yukon Jeep was just about the best shore excursion I have ever been on. Our tour guide was absolutely fantastic. I recommend this excursion to anyone on a cruise that passes thru Skagway. Ask for tour guide Misty if doing this excursion at Skagway. The scenery is breath taking, and the offroading portion of the trip was awesome
As far as the wheelchair is concerned, you can easily pull the back seat out of the jeep where your wheelchair can be stowed, but this may be at the descretion of the tour company. I'm sure they would accomodate!

jvrusso, Thank you for the great review. I thought that the jeep excursion would be fun but hestitated due to the fact that no one seemed to know anything about this tour. I did not want to waste 5 hours doing a boring tour when there is so much to see. We have prebooked the tour in Skagway in August and I look forward to this tour. Thanks again. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

we rented a car from Avis and drove to Emerald lake - on the way back to Skagway, we saw these 'jeep tours' folks - they usually come 6 in a group and it's quite a scene - they seemed to have a good time !

Archived