NCL Marriott Perks

Tatertot

Surprising my mom, sis and niece with POAm cruise March 1. Decided on 2 night pre-cruise and 1-nite post-cruise stay. Also thought I had decided on Marriott thru NCL because of the perks. But are those perks worth it?

I can book Marriott directly, city view room with senior discount for $295 pn ($215 plus $80 for 2 extra people in the room). Booking Marriott thru NCL, the per night cost is $486 for pre-cruise and $536 for post-cruise.

So, it will cost about $200 extra for NCL Marriott. That gets me airport to hotel transfer, hotel to port transfer and pre-registration for cruise. Anything else? Marriott desk tells me taxi is about $30 from airport. I assume that's for all four of us (sorry for the dumb question -- we don't have taxis in rural Oklahoma!:D ).

So, 2 questions: Are the extra perks worth it and if not, is the Marriott still the place to stay or are there better hotels if you're not staying for the NCL perks.

Thanks in advance. This board is great for a land-locked first-timer.

Never cruised NCL but you may want to ask this on the NCL board......seems to me that even with getting your own transfers from airport-hotel and hotel-ship you'd be better going with Marriott directly! just my opinion. i can't believe they charge THAT much extra PP, but I was curious so i looked. I can only think that it is like a 'resort charge' for the use of the things on the property since there does not appear to be a separate such fee.

Never heard of that high a fee even when I worked for Marriott.

the ncl rates seem really high, even if you pay for taxi to hotel and to the port, and the convenience of preregistration, I don't see how you can justify the price difference. sometimes you have to wait at the airport for the NCl bus to fill up before it goes to the hotel. I have booked Marriott for my Dec cruise with AAA rate and I'm watching in case it goes lower.

• Administrators
Surprising my mom, sis and niece with POAm cruise March 1. Decided on 2 night pre-cruise and 1-nite post-cruise stay. Also thought I had decided on Marriott thru NCL because of the perks. But are those perks worth it?

I can book Marriott directly, city view room with senior discount for $295 pn ($215 plus $80 for 2 extra people in the room). Booking Marriott thru NCL, the per night cost is $486 for pre-cruise and $536 for post-cruise.

So, it will cost about $200 extra for NCL Marriott. That gets me airport to hotel transfer, hotel to port transfer and pre-registration for cruise. Anything else? Marriott desk tells me taxi is about $30 from airport. I assume that's for all four of us (sorry for the dumb question -- we don't have taxis in rural Oklahoma!:D ).

So, 2 questions: Are the extra perks worth it and if not, is the Marriott still the place to stay or are there better hotels if you're not staying for the NCL perks.

Thanks in advance. This board is great for a land-locked first-timer.

The NCL rate should include taxes (not a small line item in Waikiki); when I checked the Marriott website the rate you mention is without taxes, so you'd have to add those in as well to get a true comparison. Even so that difference seems high.

The NCL "extras" included in that rate would be transportation from the airport > hotel, hotel > ship, and ship > hotel; transfer of your big bags directly from your hotel room to your cabin onboard ship; and all tips and service charges. By staying at the Marriott you would have the ability to do all the pre-boarding registration for your cruise right at the hotel (a very nice perk only available to Marriott NCL guests), plus you can make your shore excursion reservations there if you haven't already, and your first couple of dinner reservations.

This thread has a very nice, detailed discussion of the benefits of staying at the Marriott, which may help you decide if it's worth the price difference.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=604954&highlight=marriott+ncl

I like the Waikiki Marriott. I used to travel to Honolulu for business and that was the hotel our corp booked at favorable rates. It's a great location. With that being said I would not pay the NCL rates for it cause i think there are better options for that money. the only downside to the Marriott is it is not ON the beach. it is about a block away. For more money you can book the Hilton Hawaiian village (opposite end of Waikiki), or Sheraton Moana Surfrider they are both beachfront. I'd also consdier the Waikiki Embassy Suites to handle the extra beds issue without a fee.

If being in Hawaii for 2 days precruise I'd also consider a rental car instead of a cab from the airport. the cost should be roughly comparable & then you can get around to Pearl, Hanauma Bay (gorgeous & Polynesian Cultural Center on far side of the island. Hope this helps. Also, if you stay nearby the Marriott try Duke's on Waikiki for dinner & the Grill next door for breakfast. Shoot lots of pics. If you're from OK you'll be up early & it's so nice to walk the beach when it's empty. Also catch the sunset across from the Marriott. Have a great vacation.

Thanks everyone for your input. When I got all the numbers (tax, etc) it was still over $300 more to book Marriott thru NCL. But all that research revealed a nice surprise -- Marriott has a "family room" they rent only thru the local reservation desk. Billed for the multi-generational travelers, it has 4 beds and sitting area. It's only $50 more per night than the regular double with the added people in the room. Bad news it was only available the first night of pre-cruise but it will be great for the first night after the long flights. 2nd night they'll move us to a regular double room unless the family room comes available.

Now for more good news for me -- I never knew what those "WorldPoints" were on my BofAm card. For some unknown reason, I decided to check into it Sunday. I have 45,229 points. It takes 45,000 for a ticket to Hawaii!! So my Continental flight will only cost me $160!!

What to do with my newfound wealth:confused: -- I splurged on Moana Surfrider for the post-cruise stay. Close to Diamond Head for the hike, hear sunsets and Sunday brunch are awesome and can spend two relaxing days before heading back to reality.

You guys & gals are great. The hardest part of this trip is keeping it a secret from mom and sis but it's also part of the fun!:cool:

Archived