Best Island to buy Jewlery

swigso

Hi,

We are going on the Quest In Feb 2008 and will be visiting some new Ports, we would be able to get over to St Thomas but are any of the other ports as good for buying Jewelry, I want to buy my wife an anniversery present.

Thanks

for your help.

Hi,

We are going on the Quest In Feb 2008 and will be visiting some new Ports, we would be able to get over to St Thomas but are any of the other ports as good for buying Jewelry, I want to buy my wife an anniversery present.

Thanks

for your help.

Perhaps others can give you more specific guidance as to which island provides the best deals. One thing I will suggest is NOT to be guided by the Cruiseline or CD, as we have witnessed several 'payoffs' to personnel for promoting specific stores. Look for the less glitzy stores, though you might have some concerns about quality.

FYI, From what I understand, the 'quality/satisfaction guarantees' are hard to collect on.

Your best bet is to do some research ahead of time, so you know your prices. Negotiate hard, and be prepared to walk out. I ended up getting 3 matching Onyx pieces at half the listed price in Mexico.

Your wife is lucky to have such a thoughtful, and bargain-conscious, husband!

nlvc

Hi,

Thanks

for your help.

You don't mention which Islands you'll be visiting. I've gotten some nice jewelry at very good prices in St. Marteen as well as St. Thomas and Cozumel. You just have to shop around and be willing to bargain. My DH is great at that so we've worked out a system when I finally see something I really want, I pinch his elbow and that means start bargaining!!!

We have been very happy with our purchases at Cardow Jewelers in St. Thomas.

My DH swore for years that I must be a stockholder in Cardow Jewelers - but the last two times in St. Thomas, I got better deals at Omni Jewelers in St. Thomas. And in our case, I'm the one who loves to bargain! ;)

Marti

I have a quick suggestion. Unless you know a lot about jewelry, check out shop nbc before you go to the Islands. I have gotten several pieces from shop nbc and have found the quality to be excellent most of the time. When I have been disappointed, it is a very simple process to return any item within 30 days of purchase. You may find returning something to a shop in the Carribean more difficult. It's more fun to shop on a cruise, but take a look at Shopnbc.com for your pre-cruise education.

Shaco

Archived