A very important question...restrooms!

Here's a topic that will hopefully bring us some great advice!

Where are the restrooms located at the ports & what are they like.

We will be visiting: Rome, Venice, Naples, Florence, Barcelona, Dubrovnik & Nice.

Tell me where to find restrooms & what to expect!

At Venice and at Dubrovnik I didn't see any public restrooms. In both places I used cafes or hotels (having bought some coffee or food of course). These were normally unisex but otherwise normal toilets with hand-washing facilities. In some places, like Sardinia, there will still be a few "hole-in-the-floor toilets. These are not a problem, although they can be difficult to negotiate with trousers on if the floor is wet at all, and I started wearing skirts ashore just in case. In a few places around the Med you have to pay to use public restrooms so you should keep a few coins handy.

Hope this helps.

If I am not mistaken, you have to pay to get in some restrooms in Rome near the Vatican. Suggestion for women and men too is to bring toliet liners and maybe your own TP. They only distribute a few sheets of paper. Depending on the weather, it gets very hot and humid inside of the Vatican museums and other buildings. A portable hot flash fan is perfect.

Barcelona - Tourist authority said to just use the washrooms in any of the bars and that worked fine. However, you may want to avoid Cafe Zurich since everyone at the top of Las Ramblas uses it and it shows.

Venice - The Commune runs a public washroom on the Grand Canal at Piazza San Marco near the Vaporetto dock for 1Euro. Not overly pleasant.

Dubrovnik - There is a public restroom half way around the wall when you are walking.

Elsewhere someone suggested that the McDonalds in each city have washrooms.

Here's a topic that will hopefully bring us some great advice!

Where are the restrooms located at the ports & what are they like.

We will be visiting: Rome, Venice, Naples, Florence, Barcelona, Dubrovnik & Nice.

Tell me where to find restrooms & what to expect!

OMG>>>this subject has been covered and covered..plaease do a search on this board and you will find all the information you need for bathrooms..trust me.

OMG>>>this subject has been covered and covered..plaease do a search on this board and you will find all the information you need for bathrooms..trust me.

I realize this topic has been covered...somewhat...anyway. I've done a search, and found some information.

I'm sure there are recent cruisers, or new posters who don't mind answering.

That may be true, but often you have to review pages and pages to get to a sentence addressing an issue. Far easier to ask a question as there are soo many fine people who enjoy sharing their experiences.

One of the things that is so discouraging for new posters is to ask them to do a search. Yes -- long time members here do see many questions over and over but the boards are for everyone and long time members sometimes forget that they were those posters at some point. Also sometimes, a keyword will get back 100s of posts with no real information.

So -- if subject is something you may not want to comment on hit next post. I sure someone will love to share the information to help someone.

I realize information on this topic is available by searching. Most information I found is mixed into other topics or somewhat dated. The only thread I found somewhat similar was started in March.

There's always those recent cruisers, new posters, and those seeing this thread who won't mind adding their helpful hints.

Thanks Hebe & A Knitter,

Exactly what I was trying to point out!

My pleasure Maja, not to mention that many replies will be from those who just returned from their cruise. I have been to Europe on 4 ocassions and would like to know myself what is the current situation and price to relieve yourself, haha I leave agan 10/30.

I realize this topic has been covered...somewhat...anyway. I've done a search, and found some information.

I'm sure there are recent cruisers, or new posters who don't mind answering.

I am sorry,but toilets in Europe are not going to change and some of us go on a regular basis(yearly,2x a year),and have posted more than once on toilets...repeated questions get really old when there is a lot of info on this board if people would take the time to do some homework.I have no problem answering any questions,but how many times is my question.Yes,(to the other poster) I can skip over them and not post,but why not point out there IS info on the board and most toilet questions are under toilet questions.If one does a search and then cannot find the info,fine, then post you looked and still need some help.I realize these boards are for everyone,but sometimes it helps if one does some look see befor they post.Here is a link that may be of further help to you...trust me when I say some recent cruisers are not going to find newer bathroom or prices or have newer info...they just don't change there that much.If you have seen it..sorry.

Public restrooms in Europe?????? - Cruise Critic Message Boards

There is a public restroom in Dubrovnik that is located right before you take the steps up to walk the wall. It is located next to a restaurant, sorry I don't know the name. It is located right between the restaurant and the wall. Please be forewarned...it is very deceptive. It looks like a new modern little building from the outside. In the women's side it had 2 stalls. Inside the stall is polished black granite, with stainless steel sink, soap dispenser, paper towels and toilet paper holder. Unfortunately, they forgot to put a toilet in there! :eek: The nice polished granite platform holds a square stainless pan with a place for your feet and a nice round hole to squat over. I just wish I had the presence of mind to take a picture. :D

My suggestion would be to stop at a restaurant where ever you are and buy something small like a soft drink or coffee, and ask to use the toilet. This always works for us.

I usually avoid conflict etc. but I get quite annoyed at the "do a search response". Almost every question has at one time some many times been asked. These boards would not exist without duplication. I say ask away and let someone who feels like it answer!

If I had been to Europe I would have answered!

Here is a helpful hint:

Carry the little kleenix packages with you. While you might find a bathroom, it might not have TP! I found that out while in Monaco. There was a lady there with a plate with coin, I asked her what the charge was and she just replied and gestured, please madame go ahead. Well...........the tip plate is for TP! I was goint to tip on the way out but thought better of it while searching in my purse for anything I could find!

Also, if room, take wet ones. They are great for cleaning your hands and............. We carried a back pack for water etc. and wished we had these two things.

These items may, or may not, be addressed in the search, but I don't think anyone should have to spend that much time going through all the posts. If you don't want to read, and reply, then just move on for goodness sake, and don't discourage those who want to ask questions!

Something ironic I have observed about public toilets. The toilets that really need toilet seat covers never have them. Only the really clean toilets have them:p

Not just the paper toilet seat covers, but sometimes the toilet seats themselves are missing!!! We found this problem all over Italy - the restrooms at Pompei and one of the McDonalds in Rome! And finding a sit-down restaurant doesn't guarantee a sit-down commode. Some of the "better" restaurants only have a hole in the ground, which you don't find out about until after you've paid for a meal. I've taken lots of photos of various public bathrooms on our cruises - I should put them in a web album some time!

By law you are allowed to use the restrooms in any bar/hotel in Italy. All you have to do is ask nicely and leave a small tip in the dish. We have never had any trouble or ever been refused in Rome, Naples, Florence or Venice.

thanks for all the details on toilets. Just to share something interesting. A restaurant/bar close to Trevi fountain has a toilet that steps into a deep fall after you are done. What happened was the owner took away a piece of wooden board on the floor once I got in, so as to discourage the next person from using it. I had to ask him to put the board back so I could get out. I think it is a shame and so please be careful.

I had to say that McDonalds is a great co. in providing many toilets in Europe and around the world. It will be tragic if they are mean enough not let people use them. The best one is near the Spanish Steps in Rome, clean and complete with roman statues.....

I'm fairly new--and I also appreciate the answers on this thread. :)

I have been concerned myself about finding toilets while over in Italy. I told my husband "no morning Diet Coke for me...":( (I don't drink coffee).

I have already bought some little rolls of tp to stash in my bag--I'll now go pick up some seat covers.

Thanks for the tips/toilet locales!:D

Archived