Osorno Volcano from Puerto Montt

corindli

After our question and extremely useful replies we got regarding Valparaiso, here's another request for information:

We visit Puero Montt in December, and one of the trips is to the Osorno Volcano. Simple question is- is it worth the seven hours scheduled? (I know, very simple question, depends, depends, etc. but we are fit enough if that helps). Subjective answers are just fine. Your opinions are simply very welcome, whatever they are. And supplementary question- when you get up there, is there a crater to see, or just snow and good views?

Thanks in advance to whoever.

Corina and John

We visited Puerto Montt about 3.5 years ago, and did a photo safari to Osorno with a local operator. The whole tour lasted about 6 to 7 hours. The tour is not only going up Osorno, it should include a lunch stop (1 to 1.5 hrs), a stop at Petrohue falls (1 hr). The main trip takes about 1 hr each way.

Puerto Montt is for the most part an industrial port town, so there is very little to see and do there. The main thing here is to go into countryside enjoying the natural beauty of the area and/or visiting some of the "german" towns around the lake. You can enjoy the beauty in a bus or by more active pursuits such as horseback riding, hiking or kayaking. It all depends in what you want to do.

Noel

We took the tour in February, and it included a boat tour on Esmeraldo Lake, Petrohue River, and saw the Calbuco Volcano and Osorno Volcano and then went on to Petrohue Falls, had lunch and were dropped in town for some local shopping. It was a great day, the countryside was beautiful and we found it extremely insightful!

We have booked an aerial flight to view not only Osorno but also other volcanoes in the area.

In one hour of flight you can see the Osorno, Calbuco and Yate Volcanoes; the Tronador and Puntiagudo hills, the lakes Chapo, Todos los Santos, Rupanco and Llanquihue, the Alerce Andino and Vicente Perez Rosales national parks.

My husband is into geology and this is a must do for him. The trip is a little pricey as you have to book the whole plane which either seats 5 plus the pilot or 11 plus the pilot. Of course if you have folks to share the cost then it isn't so bad. We also added a city tour and lunch to round out the day. But we could have just done the aerial tour if we wanted.

Don't want to type everything here or create a huge post... but the details for the trip are at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=10792929&postcount=13

I set this up with:

Sur Marino Tours Expeditions

Adisteo (Teo) Cárdenas

<info@surmarino.cl>

http://www.surmarino.cl/en/inicio.htm

If you do contact Teo please tell him that Infohunter posted the info. All I get is good will on this.

Oh... I'm still looking for folks to join us on this excursion so just pop me a not on our roll call.

• 2 months later...
We have booked an aerial flight to view not only Osorno but also other volcanoes in the area.

In one hour of flight you can see the Osorno, Calbuco and Yate Volcanoes; the Tronador and Puntiagudo hills, the lakes Chapo, Todos los Santos, Rupanco and Llanquihue, the Alerce Andino and Vicente Perez Rosales national parks.

My husband is into geology and this is a must do for him. The trip is a little pricey as you have to book the whole plane which either seats 5 plus the pilot or 11 plus the pilot. Of course if you have folks to share the cost then it isn't so bad. We also added a city tour and lunch to round out the day. But we could have just done the aerial tour if we wanted.

Don't want to type everything here or create a huge post... but the details for the trip are at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=10792929&postcount=13

I set this up with:

Sur Marino Tours Expeditions

Adisteo (Teo) Cárdenas

<info@surmarino.cl>

http://www.surmarino.cl/en/inicio.htm

If you do contact Teo please tell him that Infohunter posted the info. All I get is good will on this.

Oh... I'm still looking for folks to join us on this excursion so just pop me a not on our roll call.

Is it $800 per person or 5 people share that cost? Thanks

-----------------------------------------------

Flight - 1hr

Small plane seats 5 people plus pilot $800

Larger plane seats 7 people plus pilot $1000

Archived