Anyone familiar with Farnborough area?

Fblack

Farnborough can be thought of as an outer suburb/commuterland of London. It has been developed a lot in the last few decades with lots of pleasant suburbia type housing/environment and a lot of new employment in the area.

Just down the road from Farnborough is Aldershot, home of the British Army which has an altogether different atmpsphere. Farnborough is famous for the airport, used mainly now as an executive jet airport for London.

We have friends who live in Camberley (in Surrey, which is near Hampshire), and we have driven through Farnborough with them. There's a Holiday Inn in Farnborough that receives consistently good reviews. (I haven't stayed there because we usually either stay in London or with our friends at their home.) There was a wedding at the Falcon when we drove by there, but I couldn't tell a lot by looking at the outside.

Farnborough is fairly close to Hampton Court Palace. If you visit there, make sure to check out the Royal Tennis court. Our friend plays there (has been a member for many years), and it's a very interesting sport. The gardens are great there too.

As noted by the other board member, this is primarily just a very nice area to live in, but there are some attractions like Sandhurst military academy, etc. I don't know a lot about Farnborough but will be glad to answer any questions that you have (our British friends cruise but don't use these boards).

Have a great trip,

Donna

Archived