Limit to cartons of cigarettes you can purchase??

Penguin69

Hello, we will be sailing to the Eastern Caribbean Sept 19, 2004 and will be stopping in St Maarten where I've heard you can purchase a carton of cigarettes for $9.95. Does anyone know if that is true for a fact (the information I got was from a year or two ago). And how many cartons can you actually bring back with you? Are you only allowed so many cartons duty free and if you have to pay tax on the other cartons, does anyone know how much? My brother and sister-in-law (not going on the cruise are smokers), and I though this would be a nice gift to bring them back. (I myself don't smoke so any help would be appreciatd).

Link is Here

Specifically:

Tobacco Products: Travelers may import previously exported tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in exemptions for which the traveler qualifies. Any quantities of previously exported tobacco products not permitted by an exemption will be seized and destroyed. These items are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on carriers operating internationally, or in foreign stores. These items are usually marked "Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the U.S.," or "U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the U.S."

For example, a returning resident is eligible for the $800 exemption, which includes not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars. If the resident declares 400 previously exported cigarettes, the resident would be permitted 200 cigarettes, tax-free under the exemption and the remaining 200 previously exported cigarettes would be confiscated. If the resident declares 400 cigarettes, of which 200 are previously exported and 200 not previously exported, the resident would be permitted to import the 200 previously exported cigarettes tax free under the exemption and the resident would be charged duty and tax on the remaining 200 foreign-made cigarettes.

The tobacco exemption is available to each person. Tobacco products of Cuban origin, however, are prohibited unless you actually acquired them in Cuba and are returning directly or indirectly from that country on licensed travel. You may not, for example, bring in Cuban cigars purchased in Canada. Persons returning from Cuba may bring into the U.S. no more than $100 worth of goods.

So, it looks you can't bring more than that back....

Hello Kitty9 and StephenJohnson, Thank you both for the information. I guess we'll only be able to get two cartons then. Well at least they'll each be able to get one. I guess we'll have to get them something else - I know, maybe some flavored Rum - :p any suggestions on which one taste the best?

Thanks again and Happy cruising to you both

Hello and Thank you Speechless, I wrote it down on my list of things to do and taste :) and will definately try it. If I really like it, I guess I'll have to get a bottle or two :).

Stephenjohnson - just checked out your cruise pictures of Alaska- Oh my God, those are SUPER pictures. DH and I are planning on doing an Alaska Cruisetour (with the train ride included), for our 10 Anniv in June 2007. I will definately have to show him your pictures. I want to do the dogsled ride too, when we go. DH thinks I'm nuts but oh well...

Thanks again

In St Marten I bought home 5 cartons of cigerettes.

Yes, In st Marten they were the cheapest I have ever seen. But be aware these are class "B" cigerettes and if you are fussy about your smoking it wont cut it. Im not so it was a deal for me.

Also be aware they do not sell all brands. We had a hard time findin 100's and Pall Malls. But we eventually found them.

On the ship you can get them for 2 for 31 bucks. Still not bad considering what we pay for them here...but again..not all brands are sold.

Hello Serene56, thank you for the information. My sister-in-law and brother smoke Marlboro (box) and Marlboro Menthol lights. Do you know if they have these brands available, in St Maarten or on board the ship? And can you actually buy and take that many cartons on board with you? I thought you were only limited to 200 cigarettes or 1 carton.

So you can't just buy the Guaveberry Rum? I won't smuggle anything, but I'm willing to taste it, and/or buy it, if available.

I had a lot of people cruising with me-- a lot of family members that dont smoke. Imnot sure why I got that many cartons. My man got a few cartons too. They do sell Marlboro products. and thats one of the brands you will find a lot of.

I know in St Thomas you can buy a few bottles of alcohol as long as one is an island made alcohol. THat rule may apply in St MArten but Im not sure. Why cant we buy gauveberry rum?

You can bring back more than 2 on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. It is not smuggling to bring back 5 cartons - I'd have to look to find the exact language, but it has to do with the fact that one of the ports is St. Thomas, it allows you to bring back more than usual, but I believe it's only 2 cartons that can be purchased in St. Maarten (the other 3 would have to be bought in St. Thomas). I was there last year and they did have quite a variety of brands, but I never saw any for $9.95 - the cheapest we found was right around $14 (still a heck of a deal).

I brought back eight cartons of Winstons from Cancun this past May (two "4-packs" from the duty-free shop at the airport), and hand-carried them home. No problem at all, and I declared them all at Customs in Atlanta. On cruises, I bring back about five cartons...also declare them.

PS - Marlboro products are the cheapest, since Marlboro is the "international" brand.

• 4 months later...

I'm a very regular smoker and I smoke about a pack a day sometimes a pack and a half but even 5 cartons is not enough for me considering the prices here in Pennsylvania. What is the customs situation like when returning from a day of shopping on the islands as well as when u get back to the U.S?

I came across this (what I think "kellyccz" was referring to above):

"$1,600 Exemption

If you return directly or indirectly from a U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam), you are allowed a $1,600 duty-free exemption. You may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of this exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in an insular possession. Only 200 cigarettes may have been acquired elsewhere. For example, if you were touring the South Pacific and you stopped in Tahiti, American Samoa, and other ports of call, you could bring back five cartons of cigarettes, but four of them would have to have been bought in American Samoa.

Similarly, you may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of an insular possession. Four may be products of other countries (see section on Unaccompanied Purchases from Insular Possessions and Caribbean Basin countries)."

Archived