how is cancun in sept after storm?

carol459

ok sorry, completely ignored the second part of your question!

snorkeling isn't particularly good in Cancun itself. There's punta nizuc over by club med, but depending on the time of year you go, the surf might be too strong. There's also the tours to Xel-ha & Xcaret (which are discussed a lot on the cozumel forum), and day trip to akumal bay.

Another easy day trip is over to isla mujeres, you can snorkel at either el garrafon marine park or for $4 snorkel from the hotel right next to the park. (el castillo de something or other). IM is quite erasy to get to on your own.

as for food and drinks, I've honestly never had a bad meal in Cancun. Some places we've eaten over the last couple years are:

• Lorenzillos (known for lobster)
  • Puerto Madero (seafood & steaks)
  • Lorito Joe's (usually known for al all u can eat shrimp or lobster buffet .. but a la carte is good too)
  • Captain's Cove (though I'm not hearing rave reviews since it reopened post Wilma, will see for myself soon)
  • Mr. Papas for the hugest baked potato you can imagine, and pretty tasty nachos.
  • La Distileria - mexican food and an awesome (though pricey) tequila menu
  • Casa Tequila - local cuisine and am AWESOME tequila menu (more reasonably priced than LD)
  • Viva La Vaca - steaks and other foods
  • La Ruina - local cuisine, cheap and filling

These are all in the hotel zone. I've not been to a lot of the places downtown for a few years, so I've not listed any of those.

There are several typical US chains here as well, all just OK IMHO .. mostly cause I can eat at them at home.

also, I'll say you might want to hop on over to the Trip Advisor Cancun forum, it's quite active.

Be sure to take the ferry over to Isla Mujeres and spend the day there. Go early and rent a golf cart. Beautiful little island.

Food: Used to be called Maria Bonita but it changed names. Up near Fiesta Americana Coral Beach. VERY good Mexican food with lots of atmosphere.

Ixcaret is a good day trip. Take the bus, go later and stay for the evening show. You can snorkle down river there. NO sunscreen allowed on the river; harmful to the fish.

Have fun. We love Cancun. Been there 7 times.

correction to the above post, ecco-friendly sunscreen is allowed at Xcaret. They do check your bottle.

Now as to your latest post,

I’m an owner at a sister resort, the Royal Caribbean. Now I’ll definitely encourage you to peek on over at Trip Advisor. Just started a thread a couple days ago with all kinds of information about the Royal Resorts. Great stuff for a first time visitor.

For a tour to the ruins, you need not go any further than the resort lobby. There’s an onsite travel agent at each resort. They offer several different tours to the ruins. I like their Chichen Itza “short-cut” tour. It’s semi-private, leaves early in the morning, stops for breakfast, and you get to the ruins right as the park is opening. Your driver is your tour guide, and takes you around to all the sites. Then you have some time to explore on your own. You leave just as the crowds and the heat of day is coming on. I think the vans hold up to 12 people, there were 6 people total in our van when we went. We like this option because we go in early October when the jungle is terribly hot and humid.

I’ve not done their Coba tour, we drove there on our own. And Tulum/Xel-Ha we also did on our own.

The Royals are competitively priced with their tours.

• 2 weeks later...
THANKS FOR INFO

WE ARE STAYING AT ROYAL SANDS TIME SHARE???

NEVER BEEN TO CANCUN B 4

any tour guides you have used or ruins you liked better than others

you r my guide

I appreciate it

much thanks

CAROL

Sorry I saw your posting too late. I just started on cruisecritic, making my way around the site. I own 3 weeks at the Royal Sands, units right on the beach. Love it. I hope you enjoyed it, too. Are you a scuba diver? I'm researching the ports I'm going to be at on a S. Carib cruise in March on Princess. I've never booked excursions myself, just onboard ship. Considering doing it another way. Have a great day.

Patti

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I saw your posting too late. I just started on cruisecritic, making my way around the site. I own 3 weeks at the Royal Sands, units right on the beach. Love it. I hope you enjoyed it, too. Are you a scuba diver? I'm researching the ports I'm going to be at on a S. Carib cruise in March on Princess. I've never booked excursions myself, just onboard ship. Considering doing it another way. Have a great day.

Patti

I just returned from the Royal Sands on Sunday morning! Had the BEST villa -- 5805! Anyway, we love Cancun, and love The Royal Sands. Toured the Royal Haciendas while there, but we are loyal to The Royal Sands. Would consider purchasing a resale there at some point, but for now, we can exchange there pretty easily. :)

Archived