Lunch in Victoria & What to do in Nanaimo

Fairytail

Hi Cruisers;

I am sailing on the Celebrity Mercury (first time on Celebrity) in a Sky Suite in three weeks. Next door will be a friend who I am "introducing" to cruising, though I am a veteran of over 40 journeys at sea. This is going to be FUN. (Thought I start her off on a 4 day cruise in a suite to get her loving cruising as much as I do). Anyway. . .

Can any of you wonderful folks recommend a nice and fun restaurant where I can take my pal for a birthday lunch in Victoria. She's into good wine and good food. Doesn't have to be fancy or snooty, just good! I'd like the price range not to exceed $80 for the two of us. Surely that's do-able for a nice lunch, isn't it?

As for Nanaimo, I'm puzzled as to how to spend our day. (Remember we are not into shopping). I am mid-50's and my friend is early 40's. We are single, both prefer nature to shopping and are thinking about the Nanaimo excursion offered by the cruise line, though we'd sure appreciate any suggestions (or confirmation that this is a good tour) you could send our way:

Cathedral Grove & Wildlife Recovery CenterVisit the Wildlife Recovery Center, a non-profit and volunteer run organization that dedicates many hours to the recovery of injured wildlife. Highlights at the Center include the Eagle Flight Center and the bear pen. Your tour continues to Cathedral Grove Provincial Park. A 0.5 mile guided walk will lead you through the forested walk looking at towering Douglas Fir trees, with ages reaching 800 years old.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you could send my way. Also, if you have experience with Celebrity Mercury and have any tips, love to have 'em!

Below the Visitor Info Centre, and across the street from the Fairmont Empress is one of the town's most popular restaurants. Milestone's is on 2 levels, including an outdoor watefront patio if the weather co-operates. It is part of a national chain, and is very good, fun and OK pricewise.

In Nanaimo, I would stay on the ship!!!

"In Nanaimo, I would stay on the ship!!!

I would ignore that part of the post - sounds like some of the Victoria locals are getting a little jealous about having to share some of Vancouver Island's cruise trade with their up Island cousins.

The tour you suggest is fine - there is a good walk around the waterfront - and if the little ferry is running over to Newcastle Island Provincial Park- that is essentially a nature preserve and lot's of history and a great way to spend a few hours - i can came into Nanaimo on the Star a couple of hours ago - that is one of the places that I chose to visit - Cathedral Grove is a must as well as the beaches at Parksville - which can be visited on the way to the Grove.

Nanaimo is a great little town of some 70,000 folks who are trying hard to win more of the cruise business and which i think you will find are very friendly and helpful.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks SO much for the info. Do you think we would be just as well off NOT buying the $86 / per person shore excursion and "doing" Nanaimo on our own via local ferry, taxi, etc.? If so, the money we saved could buy us a lovely lunch somewhere in the area. Any suggestions for a nice Nanaimo meal? Fairy. . .

Milestone's sounds terrific! Do you think it would be necessary, or even a good idea, to make a reservation in advance? I can look up the number on the web and perhaps shoot them an email. You are GREAT to take the time to make a suggestion. Fairy. . .

I don't know if they do reservations, but you would not need them. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes at the bar. The shuttle bus stops across the street ($6.00 per person round trip) and taxis are about $7.00 each way. A 20 minute walk from the ship if you would rather. Have fun!!

One of the lovliest things about Victoria is when the lights go on at the Parliment building at night. Even if you do not like shopping, you may want to take a short stroll around the Inner Harbor in the evening, before reboarding the ship.

I also recommend taking the $6 bus into Victoria proper from the dock, rather than doing the ship tour. Victoria is a very walkable town, and quite lovely.

We will be in Nanaimo in 2 weeks. I am sailing with two friends. I am mid-30's and they are mid-40's. I am going to do the Canyon Zipline!! Never done anything like that before...but figured you only live once! I hate shopping and don't drink wine so I thought I would try something adventurous! www.wildplayparks.com is who I am using. It's under $30 and includes roundtrip transfers to/from the ship.

sounds like some of the Victoria locals are getting a little jealous about having to share some of Vancouver Island's cruise trade with their up Island cousins.

Highly Unlikely.

I would recommend Spinnakers Restaurant. You can take the little Inner Harbour Water Taxi. Ask the driver to drop you off near by.

http://www.spinnakers.com/map.htm

308 Catherine Street, Victoria, BC Canada V9A 3S8

Have a great time in Victoria - The flowers are amazing right now.

fairytale

I second the votes for Pescatores & Spinnakers - both are terrific! Milestones is a chain & while tasy, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

In Nanaimo, I'd do the ship's tour to Cathedral Grove in a heartbeat. It's amazing & you'll truly get to see super-natural BC up close! My son did a tour of the wildlife centre & talked about it for days!

• 2 weeks later...

YYJ is the Symbol for Victoria Airport so I suspect Dennis (the Urban Trekker) is correct. ;)

Tea at the Empress. Is something that you could always brag about later and say you've done. The hotel and it's interior is actually pretty cool in an old fashion way. The Bar is the best place to visit in my opinion. PIP PIP.

There are other spots offering High Tea for much less......

Nanaimo. I also recommend going off to See Cathedral Grove. There was also a tour of some Caves on our cruise that our mates really enjoyed on their own.

Bern - if you're looking for true high tea, there are some other less expensive options in Victoria (and Vancouver)

(you won't find many "locals" at the Empress for high tea, but will at the other places

we like high tea at murchies, ( http://www.murchies.com/wwww/contact.php ) and at Butcharts ( in their beautiful dining room... truly lovely http://www.butchartgardens.com/food--beverage/the-dining-room-restaurant/the-dining-room---menus--wine.html .

The white heather, the james bay teahouse, and the oak bay beach hotel are tea favourites of "locals" like my parents.

I am going to do the Canyon Zipline!!www.wildplayparks.com is who I am using. It's under $30 and includes roundtrip transfers to/from the ship.

Just back and I can not say enough wonderful things about this company and my Zipline excursion!! It was a blast and the staff was fantastic. The shuttle transportation was a breeze. I highly recommend them!

Having Tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria IMO is worht the money. It is a fun experience and the tea is really a meal. I have had "Tea" in many other locations and none do it as well as the Empress. It is expensive but worth the money to do it at least once.

I have actually made the trip to Vancouver Island especially to take visitors to the Empress for "Tea"

Enjoy your time in both Nanaimo & Victoria

• 3 weeks later...
Bern - if you're looking for true high tea, there are some other less expensive options in Victoria (and Vancouver)

(you won't find many "locals" at the Empress for high tea, but will at the other places

we like high tea at murchies, ( http://www.murchies.com/wwww/contact.php ) and at Butcharts ( in their beautiful dining room... truly lovely http://www.butchartgardens.com/food--beverage/the-dining-room-restaurant/the-dining-room---menus--wine.html .

The white heather, the james bay teahouse, and the oak bay beach hotel are tea favourites of "locals" like my parents.

I agree with the above about locals not going to the Empress. The Butchart Gardens gets my vote!

Archived