Jersey City To Manhattan and Back

kapeppy

Ok, I know that this isn't exactly a cruise-related question but here it goes....

We will be sailing on the Journey departing from Cape Liberty so we have chosen to stay at the Hyatt on the Hudson in Jersey City two nights pre-cruise. Friday night we will be having dinner someplace in NYC (going to call Becco tomorrow to see if I can get a reservation for Friday night) and then going to see Mary Poppins. I understand that the show runs approximately three hours so that would mean we will be heading back to Jersey City at about 11:00. Any suggestions for the best way to do that? I've never been on a subway and consider myself a "country bumpkin" but if that's what we should do then so be it but I just don't know how. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Is the Hotel close to the Path train? I think it is. You take this into Midtown Mahattan and then either walk or take the subway to the Theater. NY Cabs are not required to take you back to NJ....so you will need to make arrangements with any car service to take you back. But it won't be cheap. The subway and Path back should be perfectly safe and check with the hotel if they will pick you up....

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html

you are at exchange place Jersey City

We will be sailing on the Journey departing from Cape Liberty so we have chosen to stay at the Hyatt on the Hudson in Jersey City two nights pre-cruise. Friday night we will be having dinner someplace in NYC (going to call Becco tomorrow to see if I can get a reservation for Friday night) and then going to see Mary Poppins. I understand that the show runs approximately three hours so that would mean we will be heading back to Jersey City at about 11:00. Any suggestions for the best way to do that? I've never been on a subway and consider myself a "country bumpkin" but if that's what we should do then so be it but I just don't know how. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

For a cruise departing from Bayonne, the Hyatt in Jersey City is a fabulous location. Not only is it convenient to the cruise ship pier, both by light rail train and by taxi, it is very convenient as well for making the trip to New York City. One caution, though. The area around the hotel is the city's financial district, with lots of office towers and the like. But there are few sights or activities beyond the offices, and as a result there is much activity on weekdays, but at night and on the weekend there is not much activity.

To get to and from New York City, it will probably be best to take the PATH train between Jersey City and lower Manhattan, and the New York City subway between lower Manhattan and your midtown destination.

The PATH trains operate nonstop between the Exchange Place station (which is immediately adjacent to the Hyatt hotel) and World Train Center. Trains operate frequently during most hours, run 24 hours per day, and the trip takes just 4 minutes one-way. Fare is $1.50 one-way, and the fare is paid by either depositing the fare at designated turnstiles (change returned) or by using a pay-per-ride MetroCard. More details can be found at http://www.pathrail.com.

(There is a PATH station in midtown Manhattan at 33rd Street & Sixth Avenue, but to use this station you'll have to change trains at Grove Street, and then use the subway or taxi to get further uptown to and from the theatres.)

Within Manhattan you'll probably be best off by using the "E" subway train. It arrives and departs from the World Trade Center station closer to the PATH station than any other subway train. The "E" train serves all stations on the Eighth Avenue line, including stations close to most Broadway theatres. Trains operate frequently during most hours, and run 24 hours per day. Fare is $2.00 one-way, and the fare is paid using either (1) a single-ride ticket purchased from a vending machine or (2) a multi-ride MetroCard purchased from a vending machine or a token booth attendant. More details can be found at http://www.mta.info.

Here's another alternative that would not require use of the subway (while most New Yorkers ride the subway at all hours, some visitors do prefer not having to use the subway). New Jersey Transit operates a bus between downtown Hoboken and the Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown Manhattan. The bus terminal is one block from Times Square and easy walking distance from most all Broadway theatres. The route 126 bus takes 25 minutes one-way, and requires $2.55 exact fare. Unlike the PATH train, the bus does not run 24 hours per day (last bus leaves New York at 2:00 a.m.). Going to New York, the bus leaves from the New Jersey Transit railroad station in downtown Hoboken. Returning to Hoboken, the bus leaves from Port Authority gate 204 until 10:00 p.m., from gate 323 until 1:00 a.m., and from gate 79 thereafter. More details can be found at http://www.njtransit.com.

It is not very far between the Hyatt in Jersey City and downtown Hoboken. The light rail train operates frequently ($1.90; see http://www.mylightrail.com), or a short taxi ride will get you there.

For a cruise departing from Bayonne, the Hyatt in Jersey City is a fabulous location. Not only is it convenient to the cruise ship pier, both by light rail train and by taxi, it is very convenient as well for making the trip to New York City. One caution, though. The area around the hotel is the city's financial district, with lots of office towers and the like. But there are few sights or activities beyond the offices, and as a result there is much activity on weekdays, but at night and on the weekend there is not much activity.

To get to and from New York City, it will probably be best to take the PATH train between Jersey City and lower Manhattan, and the New York City subway between lower Manhattan and your midtown destination.

The PATH trains operate nonstop between the Exchange Place station (which is immediately adjacent to the Hyatt hotel) and World Train Center. Trains operate frequently during most hours, run 24 hours per day, and the trip takes just 4 minutes one-way. Fare is $1.50 one-way, and the fare is paid by either depositing the fare at designated turnstiles (change returned) or by using a pay-per-ride MetroCard. More details can be found at http://www.pathrail.com.

(There is a PATH station in midtown Manhattan at 33rd Street & Sixth Avenue, but to use this station you'll have to change trains at Grove Street, and then use the subway or taxi to get further uptown to and from the theatres.)

Within Manhattan you'll probably be best off by using the "E" subway train. It arrives and departs from the World Trade Center station closer to the PATH station than any other subway train. The "E" train serves all stations on the Eighth Avenue line, including stations close to most Broadway theatres. Trains operate frequently during most hours, and run 24 hours per day. Fare is $2.00 one-way, and the fare is paid using either (1) a single-ride ticket purchased from a vending machine or (2) a multi-ride MetroCard purchased from a vending machine or a token booth attendant. More details can be found at http://www.mta.info.

Here's another alternative that would not require use of the subway (while most New Yorkers ride the subway at all hours, some visitors do prefer not having to use the subway). New Jersey Transit operates a bus between downtown Hoboken and the Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown Manhattan. The bus terminal is one block from Times Square and easy walking distance from most all Broadway theatres. The route 126 bus takes 25 minutes one-way, and requires $2.55 exact fare. Unlike the PATH train, the bus does not run 24 hours per day (last bus leaves New York at 2:00 a.m.). Going to New York, the bus leaves from the New Jersey Transit railroad station in downtown Hoboken. Returning to Hoboken, the bus leaves from Port Authority gate 204 until 10:00 p.m., from gate 323 until 1:00 a.m., and from gate 79 thereafter. More details can be found at http://www.njtransit.com.

It is not very far between the Hyatt in Jersey City and downtown Hoboken. The light rail train operates frequently ($1.90; see http://www.mylightrail.com), or a short taxi ride will get you there.

You can also take the ferry into Manhattan going TO the show. After the show the ferry probably won't be running (not sure the last trip but it's more for commuters). It's a nice ride, takes less than 10 minutes, and I believe it's $5pp each way. Once you get to the ferry terminal in NYC, they offer shuttle buses (no additional cost) that take you around Manhattan so you would take the 42nd street bus and it'll drop you off on the corner of the theater.

We just got back from our cruise on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty. We stayed at the Gateway Hilton at Penn Station (not to be confused with the Newark Hilton.) Penn Station is right across the street and easy. The staff at the Hilton was the friendliest and most helpful of any hotel we've ever stayed at plus there is a shuttle from Newark that takes you to the hotel. (It runs once an hour on the half hour, I think. We missed it by 2 or 3 minutes.) It took us 1 & 1/2 hours to get a cab/shuttle to Newark after getting off of the ship - total confusion. We went to the desk to arrange for transfers and were told it would be quicker and cheaper for us to just grab a cab. The transfers to the airport were $25 per person and the shuttle was $14 per person. We would have cheerfully paid the $25!!!

Check out the NY Waterway website. The ferry is terrific and they offer free shuttle from the ferry dropoff in Manhattan to the theater district (as ibela said). It is very quick and convenient. It normally runs long enough for the show goers to travel home after the show.

I'm not familiar with your hotel, so you might want to phone and be sure you can catch the ferry closeby. It is a wonderful way to travel, IMHO.

I checked out the NY Waterway website and now I'm confused! The ferry runs every 15 minutes from Paulus Hook to World Financial Center but when I check out the free bus info it always refers to Midtown/W 39th St. Are there buses from World Financial Center? As we will be having dinner and be seeing a show, would we be able to catch the 4:15 ferry to Midtown (arrives Midtown at 4:30), grab a bus to the theater district and make a 5:30 dinner reservation? Are the buses usually full on theater nights? I'm still not sure how to get back to the hotel but I just heard about a website called HopStop and I'm off now to check that out. Thanks again for any insight!

Check out this http://www.nywaterway.com/ferry/schedules/ link and look for the midtown schedule on the left...departure Paulus hook(if that is closest to your hotel). Generally, the buses are right there without too much wait.

Midtown is where the theater district is.

World Financial Center is downtown (not near the shows on Broadway).

I think you will be fine on the bus (cannot guarantee no crowds)...it is a short ride to the theater (you could stand if necessary).

If you catch the 4:15 ferry, you should be able to make a 5:30pm dinner reservation (there are never any promises in NY - if traffic cooperates, if you already have your tickets and the restaurant is close - Becco is about 4 blocks, I think). I might make it a little later if possible to give you enough time to get to the restaurant. Let your server know you are catching a show when you order so they know to bring the food quickly - theater district restaurants are very good at that, usually).

It is too bad that the ferry won't be running late as I think it is only Wednesdays that they do that (as ibela said).

You can check out http://www.njtransit.com for bus/train service. If you don't mind specing some $$, you can always take car service(cab) back to NJ. Keep in mind you will have to pay for fees and tolls to NJ and the cab's fair back to NY.

The Hyatt hotel is a very reputable hotel. I would ask the concierge when you get there to help you out with your travel details. They will give you the very best solution.

There are buses between the World Financial Center and the theatre district, but you'll have to pay a separate fare. In addition, the bus takes a relatively long time to make the trip . . . about 48 minutes one-way. You will look for the bus stop at the corner of North End Avenue & Murray Street, and get on the uptown M20 route. It requires $2.00 exact fare in coins only (no bills) or MetroCard. The bus then goes up Eighth Avenue, and stops within walking distance of all Broadway theatres. See http://www.mta.info/nyct.

The midtown ferry has free bus service. There's plenty of room on the buses, especially since you'll be going against the peak traffic. These buses are coordinated with the ferry, and there is no additional charge. The ride is just a few minutes, and barring some very unusual circumstances, one hour is much more than sufficient to go the few blocks.

In either case, the ferries from Paulus Hook depart from a dock a short distance south of the hotel. You may need to detour if the construction work along the waterfront blocks the direct path between the hotel and ferry.

If you want to take the ferry back, then get a ferry to either Port Imperial (last ferry 12:00 midnight) or Lincoln Harbor (last ferry 10:50 p.m.). Change at either terminal to a southbound light rail train (the connection is more convenient at Port Imperial, but the trip is slightly shorter from Lincoln Harbor). The light rail train fare is $1.90, and see schedules at http://www.mylightrail.com (the Hyatt is at the Exchange Place stop).

Thanks for all the help! We weren't able to get dinner reservations at the time we wanted so it looks like we will hit Manhattan in the morning for some sightseeing, have lunch @ 2:00 at Becco, return to the hotel and then hit the ferry to get back in time for the show. Looks like we will just use the subways and the PATH train the rest of the time.

Thanks again!

If you're going to be wandering around New York City for the day, you may want to consider getting an 1-day unlimited MetroCard, a.k.a. "Fun Pass." You can buy it for $7 from machines at all subway stations, and the pass is good all day (until 3 a.m. the next morning) on all local buses and subway trains in New York City. It won't work on the PATH trains or the NY Waterway ferries, but it will at least get you around the City pretty much without much worry.

Archived