Fleet Week San Diego sept 29 traffic ?

gizmo

I will be arriving in San Diego Sept 29. at 11:35, just in time for the fleet parade on the bay. How bad is the traffic ? Will it be difficult to get from the airport to the Embassy Suites ?

Thanks,

Giz

I would anticipate major delays going down Harbor Drive, and actually Harbor Drive right in front of the cruise ship pier will be closed for the parade. If you are taking a taxi or shuttle, make sure they know about the closures, and they will probably need to go an alternative route such as Laurel east to Kettner to get you to the Embassy Suites.

There will also be Navy ships with open houses that weekend on Broadway pier (which used to be an every weekend event before 9/11) so it remain crowded in the cruise ship pier area for that whole weekend. This may impact somewhat getting from the hotel to the ship with traffic if you are going out on Sunday, but the road will not be closed that day.

They will let the meter run so you better know your way around.

Although I think your hotel has a free shuttle...

If not, insure the cab takes a right out of the airport and turns right on Nimitz across the hill to the start of 8 East. From there it's south on 5 and exit South on 10th and right on market..You'll get to see the real downtown San Diego

Wow, that will be a BIG taxi fare!!! I wouldn't go that way. The traffic will not be that bad. I have been downtown before during a parade, and if the cab cuts east on Laural off of Harbor Drive south, then goes to Kettner south, there should be little or no extra traffic that way. To go all the way through Loma Portal and to the 8 and down 5 would probably run about $30-40 in a cab.

Do check to see if the Embassy Suites offers a free airport shuttle though.

Hi wander34,I've been trying to find some info for shopping near the pier.We are looking for a grocery store.We want to pick up a few things last minute rather than Cart them in our luggage.I know you live nearby so I'm hoping you can help us. We are part of the same Meet + Mingle as you and Cathy and look forward to meeting both of you.

Barbara Lee + Denis

As posted here many times before, the closest supermarket is the Ralph's on 1st and G Street. Is is a good walk, but you may want to taxi back as it is about 10 blocks, so a long way to haul bottles unless you have a cart. You can also try the Rite Aide (drug store) at 1411 Kettner Blvd. This is more like 6 blocks. There is nothing right at or on the pier.

There is a small convenience/deli store in the strip mall in front of the Holiday Inn across from Antony's seafood. This would be good if you just wanted to purchase water bottles, Soda six-packs and assorted candies/snacks.

Have a great cruise...:D

Archived