Upcoming Italian Strikes

Saw this on the flyertalk site. In the upcoming 2 months there are four strikes scheduled, 3 are airline related and 1 is train related.

HEre is what I got from Italian Ministry of Transport website which I translated with Babelfish because it is in Italian.

27 september 2007AERIAL field: STAFF ENAV ACC ROME

modalita:4 HOURS: FROM THE 12,00 TO THE 16.00

29 september 2007RAILWAY field: PERSONAL GROUP FS

modalita:24 HOURS: FROM THE 21,00 OF THE 29/9 TO THE 20,59 OF THE 30/9

09 October 2007

AERIAL field: PILOTS ASSOCIATES. ALITALIA

modalita:4 HOURS: FROM THE 10,00 TO THE 14.00

22 October 2007

AERIAL field: STAFF ENAV

modalita:8 HOURS: FROM THE 10,00 TO THE 18.00

http://www.infrastrutturetrasporti.it/page/standard/site.php?p=scioperi

OMG...they plan and schedule their strikes???

In 1984 I was on a train from Paris to Rome, and as we were pulling into Genoa the conductor announced that a 4-hour nationwide strike had begun several minutes earlier, but that because the train crew didn't want to inconvenience the passengers (or themselves) by sitting for hours out in the middle of nowhere, they had decided to pull into the train station before beginning their 4-hour part of the strike. Additionally, the shopkeepers in the station had decided to delay beginning the strike for 20 minutes after we pulled in, so that everyone could buy food, water, beer, etc. Having done this, most of us went out on the street and watched a parade of workers carrying red hammer and sickle flags, organized (I suppose) by the Italian Communist Party. It was all very good-natured, and after the parade everyone went to a nearby park for a picnic. Shops around the station began reopening, a reminder that it was time to board the train. Sure enough, we pulled out exactly four hours after our arrival, the shops in the station still closed for another 20 minutes.

Archived