credit card and New Zealand

Coastaljen

Is it easy to use credit cards around New Zealand? We arrive in Auckland and visit Tauranga, Wellington, Dunedin, Napier, Christchurch, etc.

I only ask because I noticed most of the tour companies I booked with do not have secure servers for their internet. I know that isn't related to credit cards, but it made me think twice about planning to use credit cards for 99% of expenses in those cities.

Also, one tour company said they didn't have capabilities to accept credit cards, and they would need cash. This is a very reputable tour company.

I can use cash instead, but I was just wondering.

you should be able to pay for things with your CC at 99% of places with mastercard or visa. american express and diners cards are not accepted at some places as the fees make it uneconomical to the vendor. most tours will only accept cash at the dockside as they have no access to CC facilities.

hope that helps

:)

We spend 5.5 weeks in New Zealand in 1994 and used credits cards the same as we would here in the states.

Make sure you check what your foreign transaction fee is before you leave so you have no surprises. Most banks are 3%.

Archived