GC a good just hang out port?

Jorgen

I am plannign out my first crusie which occurs in just over a month. We wanted to do something at a few ports (stop in GC, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel) then just hang out and do what ever at the other two (don't want plans everywhere for snorkling and such). We were orignally looking at a rays, reef and XXXX tour that is offered through a company in GC. But really I we really woudl prefer boat snorkling in Belize and shore snorkling in Roatan. This is our first port, and neither of us have ever been on a cruise before.

So really I am just askign if this is a good port to just get tendered in at then walk around, maybe grab a cab ride to 7 mile beach or something then hang out and get a cab back to be tendered back to the boat?

Sounds like a good plan but I wouldn't hang out in the port - go enjoy either 7 mile or Rum Point. Cayman is a great beach stop and you want to pace yourself on the cruise - don't try to do everything in every port so personally hanging on the beach would be my choice on my favourite island. I spend all my time there either sitting on the beach, snorkeling or diving.

I am plannign out my first crusie which occurs in just over a month. We wanted to do something at a few ports (stop in GC, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel) then just hang out and do what ever at the other two (don't want plans everywhere for snorkling and such). We were orignally looking at a rays, reef and XXXX tour that is offered through a company in GC. But really I we really woudl prefer boat snorkling in Belize and shore snorkling in Roatan. This is our first port, and neither of us have ever been on a cruise before.

So really I am just askign if this is a good port to just get tendered in at then walk around, maybe grab a cab ride to 7 mile beach or something then hang out and get a cab back to be tendered back to the boat?

• 4 weeks later...

We were in GC in April and just wanted to hang out at a beach. So we ended up in a van taking people to Sea Grape - well, it seems all the van's were dropping everyone there - if you wanted a lounge chair, I have no idea how you would get it to a spot unless you floated it in the water. It was packed!!!! Stayed about 20 minutes and got a van back to the ship. What a waste. Not impressed with GC. Did the sting ray before and rum point, which was very nice but too far from the pier. Going again in Feb. and may just walk around town a little and get back on the ship.

The problem was (and you said it) that the cab was dropping everyone there. Another mile towards West Bay and you wouldn't have to worry about crowds. The beach is literally 7 Miles long. Next time I would try to go a little further than the cab drivers would usually take you like Cemetery Beach (Cemetery Reef is very good for snorkeling), Governor's Beach or Public Beach.

Too bad that the North side of the Island is not closer to Georgetown but I think they are working at bringing the Sandbar from Stingray City closer to the cruise ships. :D

Seven Mile Beach is lovely....last time we got dropped off in a busy area, but we just started walking down the beach and found all the space, peace and quiet we could want. Another option we have done on Grand Cayman if you are looking for something inexpensive and easy to do is go snorkeling at Eden Rock. It's a short walk from the tender terminal to Eden Rock Dive Shop where we rent a locker for our stuff and walk down to the ladder into the water. No charge. We have our own snorkel gear, but I'm pretty sure they rent gear there too and the snorkeling was good! There are some buoy markers and we found the best fish to be near them. Grand Cayman has lots to do and is an enjoyable port.

First time we were at Grand Cayman went to Seven Mile Beach. Took the local bus there and back, easily - we were newbies.

The beach is beautiful. Saw no chairs or hang-out bars, but it may have changed. Just brought our towels to lounge in the sand. Peace and quiet, exactly what we wanted for a few hours.

We've seen the stingrays but don't much care for them.

Archived