Question Re Rome Termini Stazione

Everything is on the level except for the left luggage office which is underground and can be reached using an elevator. Also you have to go down a level if you intend to use the subway.

Be aware though, the station is VAST. It takes 10 minutes to walk from one side of the station to the other without luggage. If you are taking the train to or from Civitavecchia, it departs from a separate set of platforms which are a good 15 minute walk from the station entrances. Allow plenty of time to get to them.

Beware of Roman taxi drivers, especially from the airport. We consider ourselves seasoned travellers but we were ripped off by a seemingly charming man who charged us double the going rate from Ciampino. Ask how much the journey will cost before getting in.

If you are taking the train from Rome to embark a cruise at Civitavecchia, you can either take a taxi from Civitavecchia station or if you are feeling energetic, it's about a 20 minute walk. Turn right out of the station exit, cross the road onto the wide promenade and trundle your trolleys to the end where you will see the port gates. There's a small entrance for pedestrians, patially hidden, to the left of the main gates and you need to walk through this to the bus stop which is about 20 yards away for your shuttle bus to the ship.

Hope that some or all of this helps!

Best Wishes,

Andy

Yes there are elevators. But mostly escalators. Of course, there are stairs, but you can usually see an escalator nearby. There are a few spots when walking from the train into the station that they do not have escalators, but they generally have ramps in those areas.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for the responses. I know the station is vast. My husband and I were there in '98 and I knew there were stairs and escalators, but didn't need the elevator as we didn't have luggage, so didn't know if there was one. But we must have taken the subway because it seems we were underground. We stayed outside of Rome and took the train in, but made a stop at another station and had to switch to the train to Termini.

Thanks too for the info on Civitavecchia. We plan on taking the train from the airport to Termini, then the train on to Civitavecchia. SO know we will have lots of walking.

Agabby,

Good news. My wife and I did the train to the port and it is really easy. At the airport just follow the signs from the luggage exit that say "Stazione". Part of the walk is on an escalator which will detour any obsticles. Buy a ticket on the Leanardo Express for 11 Euros a person and make sure to validate it in the yellow validation box. Once you arrive at Rome Termini if you go right it will take you to the main lobby of the train station. At this point you will have to purchase a ticket to Civitaecchia which will run 9 Euros for the local train. That train leaves from platform 28. We did not encounter any problem with our luggage and acturally found the train to be almost deserted. We are no spring chickens being in our late 50's and found the trip rather enjoyable. Don't worry about not knowing where to get off the local train since there are around ten stops. Civitaecchia is the last stop, you'll know when you get there. Tim

Agabby,

Good news. My wife and I did the train to the port and it is really easy. At the airport just follow the signs from the luggage exit that say "Stazione". Part of the walk is on an escalator which will detour any obsticles. Buy a ticket on the Leanardo Express for 11 Euros a person and make sure to validate it in the yellow validation box. Once you arrive at Rome Termini if you go right it will take you to the main lobby of the train station. At this point you will have to purchase a ticket to Civitaecchia which will run 9 Euros for the local train. That train leaves from platform 28. We did not encounter any problem with our luggage and acturally found the train to be almost deserted. We are no spring chickens being in our late 50's and found the trip rather enjoyable. Don't worry about not knowing where to get off the local train since there are around ten stops. Civitaecchia is the last stop, you'll know when you get there. Tim

Thanks for the added input. I'm 60 and my friend is 78, so we were a little daunted by schlepping our own luggage, but at 120-130 EURO for a van/car to the port was a little concerned at spending as much in Rome and Venice for only 4 nights compared to 12 nights on the cruise. Thought the train would be much more reasonable. I have found a B&B in Civitavecchia for $97 per night, and it has views of the sea. Really looks lovely. And so much more affordable than in Rome proper.

Archived