Has Anyone?...

crdtrnr

Like getting upgrades, I'm sure there's a formula Carnival [and other cruiselines] use. Just haven't quite figured out what it is. Reasons range from being a frequent seller of CCL cruises/a frequent cruiser/somebody who "knows somebody"/just somebody staff thinks the Captain would like to meet for some reason

I don't think there's any formula or rule about it. The captain invites whom he wants, and I'd imagine it's usually based on putting together an interesting table. My guess is, he has a staff member who knows what the captain likes, and surreptitiously "scouts" the passengers. A sparkling conversationalist is the #1 qualification, I'd bet.

Been invited to eat at the Captain's table?

Is it because you are a platinum cruiser..or do you know?

Thanks for the info!

We were to be seated at the Captains table on our last cruise(which was our fourth)but our friends were seated somewhere else so we chose to sit with them instead. I am so glad we did because our tablemates were so much fun and we had a blast at dinner every night.

I was invited to dine at the Captains tables on the first formal night in October. I was the GL of a large cruise critic group, so I believe that was the reason. I was allowed to bring my cabinmate (my best friend) and we had such a lovely evening. At the table were the 2 of us, the Captain, the 2 physicians, the hotel director, the head purser, the chief engineers, and the new Captain who was starting the following week. It was the only night of the cruise that the Captain asked for a guest at his table, so we felt quite honored. It was an experience I will never forget!!!

2221708490048299733GMDVdL_ph.jpg

Is there a certain dining hour that they eat at? I have been on two cruises and have not even seen a Captain's table.

We arrived 30 minutes after the last seating... the Maitre'D announced the Captain, and everyone else was already eating... not sure if that is the same on all ships, but we were told that most Captains only dine in the dining room 1-2 nights each cruise...

My very first job was a commercial for a cruise line. I was 12 or 13 and it seemed like such a big deal. We ate (mostly sat) at the Captains table so they could film. It was very neat. Never eaten at the Captains table since though.

My husband & I were invited to sit with the Captain...here's how it happened. I was waiting to speak with the social hostess and there was a passenger in line ahead of me who was so obnoxious and pushy that I started making faces at her and rolling my eyes. When it was my turn to speak with the hostess she thanked me for making her day a little brighter. That night we received an invitation to dine at the Captain's table.

My husband & I were invited to sit with the Captain...here's how it happened. I was waiting to speak with the social hostess and there was a passenger in line ahead of me who was so obnoxious and pushy that I started making faces at her and rolling my eyes. When it was my turn to speak with the hostess she thanked me for making her day a little brighter. That night we received an invitation to dine at the Captain's table.

Something similar happened to us...........we were waiting in line to check in, and my wife struck up a conversation with the social hostess. After a few minutes, she asked if we would like to have dinner with the Capt. one night.........we said "SURE!" On the first formal night, we got the invitation...........

This Aprils cruise..I was "hunted down" by the MD "Damir", to be invited to dine w/Capt formal night. An engraved invite was also delivered. I am a "Frequent cruiser" on the same ship, and I guess The Cheif Eng, being my age, needed a dinner companion, as the rest were sweet young things, one with a b'day. I have also been invited to a closed employees appreciation cocktails after dinner gathering, of which I sent a box of chocolate(that I always carry for emergencies) to Captain, with a nice note. The best part of that was the "bootleg" lemoncello made, on board, by a staff member! I will sail my 7th cruise, in less than a year this Sat on the same ship. I get excellent service, and lots of hugs, kisses and winks by the DR staff. The faces eventually change, but so many come to say hello, that havent even been at my favorite table. NOW, that's service.

My wife and I were blessed last year in Oct to dine w,Capt Carlo on the Fascination. We still arent real sure how were the lucky ones to get the invite. However what an amazing time,it was the Capt and several officers,Hotel Mngr, etc... He was extremely cordial,proper and made it a point to converse and keep the wine glasses full. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity that we will cherish forever.

I don't think there's any formula or rule about it. The captain invites whom he wants, and I'd imagine it's usually based on putting together an interesting table. My guess is, he has a staff member who knows what the captain likes, and surreptitiously "scouts" the passengers. A sparkling conversationalist is the #1 qualification, I'd bet.

My friends three on a med cruise got asked to sit at the captains table but I am sure it was for the sparkling conversation and not pretty single girls ;)

I was fortunate to dine at the captain's table in Feb/March on the Conquest. With the captain, and several of his officers. It was a wonderful experience!! You get your picture taken,and he signs it. And you don't pay for this picture, it is complimentary. Can you believe that!?

I was fortunate to dine at the captain's table in Feb/March on the Conquest. With the captain, and several of his officers. It was a wonderful experience!! You get your picture taken,and he signs it. And you don't pay for this picture, it is complimentary. Can you believe that!?

LOL, it would be in extremely poor taste (not to mention tacky) if they made you pay for the picture!!!! I have mine on my mantel... it was my roomies first cruise, and she has been set up with high expectations now :p She asked which night we were dining with the Captain on our upcoming cruise, LOL!!!

• 2 months later...

Archived