Hanauma Bay - better on Sat or Sun??

kwcrnp

Aloha Gal is right. Going after 9:30am and you won't be able to get in at all. (or at least find parking) To be safe, 8-9am is a MUST. 9am might even be shaky on a weekend. Also you have to watch a short educational film before they let you go to the bay so it takes time to wait for the next film to start and watch the film. Bring your hiking shoes, pack as light as possible for the beach. Or you can take the trolley up and down the hill. I know, you're wondering what the heck am I talking about. You'll find out when you get there...

My advice, go on a Tuesday.

Thanks for the advice.....it is closed on Tuesdays. ;)

Unfortunately we only have Sat or Sun to pick from. Can you recommend another great spot for snorkeling etc (on Oahu) if we don't go the Hanauma Bay??

Kristi

Right down the road from Hanauma Bay is a little known beach that is excellent for snorkling. There is a turtle station (where turtles go to get cleaned by fish) right off shore there. Locals call it Cockroach Cove. It's also known as the From Here To Eternity Beach. It is the beach where they filmed the famous scene with Burt Lancaster in the movie. I don't know the real name of the place. You park at the Blow Hole parking lot and if you look out at the ocean, the cove is to the right of the parking lot. Really great for snorkling and swimming, but GO EARLY. By 10am would be best.

If you go in the winter months, you can even see whales swimming and jumping off shore at the Blow Hole lookout.

On the left side of the Blow Hole is Sandy Beach. Sandy Beach is good for boogie boarding and playing in the sand. Gets HOT there though since there's no shade. Do a google search on Hawaii Blow Hole.

If you continue around the island from Sandys, you'll hit Makapuu Beach. Sealife Park is across the street from Makapuu. It's VERY scenic, one of the best scenic spots on the island is coming over the hill and seeing Rabbit Island for the first time. Makapuu is a good beach BUT can have high surf which can be dangerous if you're not used to the beach.

I've attached a map to get to Cockroach Cove.

BlowHole.jpg.5cb60c91d194954be1e26cc22b200346.jpg

Thanks for the advice.....it is closed on Tuesdays. ;)

Unfortunately we only have Sat or Sun to pick from. Can you recommend another great spot for snorkeling etc (on Oahu) if we don't go the Hanauma Bay??

Kristi

Kristi, if you have never been to Hanauma Bay, I think it's so worth it to make the effort. If this is not your first time, then neojava gives excellent suggestions.

Aloha, Logan

I agree - if you think you're going to be there too early, think again. You can never be too early, especially on a weekend. Also, as far as snorkeling goes, nothing beats Hanauma Bay. We snorkeled in at least half a dozen places on Oahu (inluding the North Shore and Wainai) and nothing beat Hanauma Bay. Also, be aware that you will have to sit through a brief film before entering the park - I found the film very interesting seeing that it gives you a history of the Bay. Whatever you decide - enjoy!!

Archived